Yorkshire Tea is a black tea blend produced by Bettys and Taylors of Harrogate. This company was founded in 1886 in Harrogate, Yorkshire, England before the purchase of Taylors, by Bettys of Harrogate. The company is now owned by the group (Betty's & Taylors of Harrogate) with two subsidiaries, Betty's and Taylors. Yorkshire Tea was originally sold by Taylors but after the buy out by Betty's, the brand had the name Betty's and Taylors on the back but soon changed the name back to Taylors of Harrogate" Yorkshire Tea originally came from Taylors of Harrogate by two brothers but is now sold under both names, the pair set up the tea and coffee importing business CE Taylor & Co before going on to train at Ashbys Tea of London, where they went on to buy teas and coffees at auction. The company is one of the few remaining family tea and coffee merchants in the country.
- Original Yorkshire Tea
- Yorkshire Tea for Hard Water
- Luxury blend Yorkshire Gold
- Yorkshire Seasonal
The Yorkshire Tea brand is currently being extended to include a range of cakes, biscuits, and fruit loaves, sold as being complementary to drinking tea.
When Safeway was taken over by West Yorkshire-based Morrisons in 2004, commentators in the London press noted the amount of shelf space in one former Safeway store that was suddenly given over to Yorkshire Tea.
For several years now, Yorkshire Tea has sponsored Wallace and Gromit's Children's Foundation and the company has played a key part in supporting the charity's annual tea party for fundraising towards children's hospitals and hospices.
Advertising and popular culture
Yorkshire Gold is mentioned in the popular Showtime TV series Homeland as a favorite of protagonist Sergeant Nicholas Brody. Ian Brabbin, tea buyer at Bettys and Taylors of Harrogate said: “We were both surprised and delighted to discover that Yorkshire Gold has been given such a starring role in Homeland and are looking forward to seeing the show when it arrives on our screens here later in the year."We are no strangers to the small screen - Yorkshire Tea has also made a cameo appearance on Friends, not to mention our ever growing band of celebrity fans such as Noel Gallagher and Alan Carr."
Also on the celebrity fan list are Russell Crowe, who posted on Twitter about the beverage in 2012  and Martha Reeves, who was also featured on the social media site holding Yorkshire Tea paraphernalia.
- "Who We Are". Bettys & Taylors of Harrogate Limited. Retrieved 5 July 2014.
- Walsh, Dominic (20 August 2004). "Safeway stayaway". London: Timesonline. Retrieved 15 July 2007. (subscription required)
- "Yorkshire tea firm granted Royal seal of approval". Yorkshire Post. 15 January 2009. Retrieved 26 September 2011.
- "The tea's off, ladies: Potty bureaucracy at the WI means the end of free cuppas for members". Associated Newspapers Ltd. 13 March 2011. Retrieved 15 September 2012.
- "A warming Heartbeat". The Grocer. 31 July 2004. Retrieved 15 March 2012.
- Nicholson, Rebecca (1 April 2012). "Homeland: series one, episode seven | Television & radio". theguardian.com. Retrieved 30 March 2014.
- "Yorkshire Gold takes starring role in drama". Harrogate Advertiser. 10 January 2012. Retrieved 30 March 2014.
- "Found Yorkshire tea at Myers of Keswick on Hudson Street,NY". Twitter.com. 29 October 2012. Retrieved 19 December 2013.
- "A real lady.... MARTHA REEVES loves Yorkshire Tea!". Twitter.com. 15 December 2013. Retrieved 19 December 2013.