Nishimura at the 2010 Sitges Film Festival.
April 1, 1967 |
|Years active||1995 –|
Yoshihiro Nishimura (西村喜廣 Nishimura Yoshihiro ) is a Japanese film director, special effects and makeup effects artist, and a screenwriter who has worked predominantly in the horror genre. Nishimura has been described as "a legendary director and effects artist" and "the Tom Savini of Japan" with "talent to burn". He has been credited with establishing a new type of visual film presentation, the "gore effect".
Life and career
Nishimura, born on April 1, 1967, had been interested in film from childhood but a major influence on his career was a painting by Salvador Dalí with distorted human bodies that he saw when in elementary school. He majored in law in college. Nishimura has said that he doesn't watch much television or movies but reads horror magazines and gets much of his inspiration from his dreams.
He started making films while in junior high school by teaching himself about filming, lighting, special effects and modeling. In 1995 with a small crew he made the independently produced movie Anatomia Extinction (Genkai jinkō keisū). Nishimura wrote the screenplay, directed, and did the special effects. The film was shown at the Yubari International Fantastic Film Festival in February 1995 where it won a Special Jury Award. The film would later form the basis for Tokyo Gore Police.
For several years, Nishimura did special effects and special makeup effects for a number of movies including the controversial thriller from Sion Sono, Suicide Club, and Noboru Iguchi's 2003 comedy-romance-horror A Larva to Love (恋する幼虫 Koi-suru Yōchū ). In 2005, he did the special effects for the science fiction horror film Meatball Machine (ミートボールマシン Mîtobōru mashin ) directed by Yūdai Yamaguchi and Jun'ichi Yamamoto. One review of the film says "the makeup and special effects that the film is sold on are solid. Produced on a very meager budget, the make-up appliances look great."
Nishimura worked with Noboru Iguchi again in 2008 when he was in charge of special effects and makeup effects for the low-budget action and gore film The Machine Girl. When he finished The Machine Girl, Media Blasters, the USA distributors of the DVD, asked if he wanted to do another movie. He decided to do a re-make of his earlier short film Anatomia Extinction from 1995 and created the science fiction horror movie Tokyo Gore Police. Nishimura co-wrote the screenplay, directed the movie, did the special make-up effects and modeling, and had a small cameo role as well. Nishimura said that one difference was that as director, he could no longer take naps during breaks as he could when he was only concerned with special effects.
In 2009, he did the makeup effects on Samurai Princess (also called Samurai Princess: Devil Princess) for director Kengo Kaji, and also on director Kōsuke Suzuki's Stop the Bitch Campaign. For the 2009 production of Vampire Girl vs. Frankenstein Girl (吸血少女対少女フランケン Kyūketsu Shōjo tai Shōjo Furanken ), Nishimura teamed with Naoyuki Tomomatsu as co-director and with fight choreographer Taku Sakaguchi who had previously worked with Nishimura on Tokyo Gore Police and Meatball Machine. The movie had its world premier at the New York Asian Film Festival on June 26 and opened in Japan August 15, 2009.
Nishimura started his own effects company based in Tokyo, Nishimura Eizo Co., Ltd. Partnering with visual effects company Studio Buckhorn and Studio HigeMigane in 2010, it became part of Pabaan: The Image Production Group. 
In 2010, Nishimura co-directed Mutant Girls Squad with Noboru Iguchi and Tak Sakaguchi, as well as directing the action/horror film Helldriver, his first solo directing duty since "Tokyo Gore Police." The same year, he created the special effects for Horny House of Horror, starring AV starlets Asami, Mint Suzuki, and Saori Hara.
In 2011, Nishimura directed the "Killer" music video for Osaka rock band The 50 Kaitenz (ザ５０回転ズ The 50 Kaitenz ). 
- 1995 Special Jury Award Off Theatre Competition: Anatomia Extinction (Genkai jinkō keisū)
- 2008 Best Asian Film: Tokyo Gore Police
Cyber Horror Awards
- 2008 Nominee for Best Film: Tokyo Gore Police
- 2008 Nominee for Tom Savini Award for Best Makeup: Yoshihiro Nishimura
- Ebiri, Bilge (June 30, 2009). "New York Asian Film Fest Guests Yoshihiro Nishimura...". New York Magazine. Retrieved 2009-07-26.
- Soeda, Jason (October 15, 2008). "Q&A with Yoshihiro Nishimura". www.hiff.org. Retrieved 2009-07-26.[dead link]
- "Tokyo Gore Police KEY STAFF/CREW Yoshihiro Nishimura". www.asiafilmfest.de. Retrieved 2009-07-25.
- "MEMBER 西村 喜廣 ニシムラ ヨシヒロ" (in Japanese). www.nishi-eizo.com. Retrieved 2009-07-25.
- Perkins, Rodney (October 28, 2008). "An Interview with TOKYO GORE POLICE Director Yoshihiro Nishimura". twitchfilm.net. Retrieved 2009-07-25.
- Brown, Todd (June 25, 2008). "Yoshihiro Nishimura Talks TOKYO GORE POLICE!". twitchfilm.net. Retrieved 2009-07-25.
- "Genkai jinkô keisû (1995)". IMdB. Retrieved 2009-07-25.
- "Jisatsu sâkuru (2001)". IMdB. Retrieved 2009-07-26.
- "自殺サークル SUICIDE CIRCLE" (in Japanese). www.allcinema.net. Retrieved 2009-07-26.
- "Koi-suru yôchû (2003)". IMdB. Retrieved 2009-07-25.
- "恋する幼虫" (in Japanese). www.allcinema.net. Retrieved 2009-07-26.
- "Meatball Machine". IMdB. Retrieved 2009-07-25.
- "MEATBALL MACHINE -ミートボールマシン-" (in Japanese). www.allcinema.net. Retrieved 2009-07-25.
- "DVD REVIEW: MEATBALL MACHINE". www.chud.com. Retrieved 2009-07-25.
- "Kataude mashin gâru (2008)". IMdB. Retrieved 2009-07-26.
- "片腕マシンガール THE MACHINE GIRL" (in Japanese). www.allcinema.net. Retrieved 2009-07-26.
- "Tôkyô zankoku keisatsu (2008)". IMdB. Retrieved 2009-07-26.
- "東京残酷警察 TOKYO GORE POLICE" (in Japanese). www.allcinema.net. Retrieved 2009-07-26.
- "Samurai purinsesu: Gedô-hime (2009)". IMdB. Retrieved 2009-07-26.
- "サムライプリンセス 外道姫 SAMURAI PRINCESS" (in Japanese). www.allcinema.net. Retrieved 2009-07-26.
- "Enjo-kôsai bokumetsu undô (2009)". IMdB. Retrieved 2009-07-26.
- "STOP THE BITCH CAMPAIGN 援助交際撲滅運動" (in Japanese). www.allcinema.net. Retrieved 2009-07-26.
- "Kyûketsu Shôjo tai Shôjo Furanken (2009)". IMdB. Retrieved 2009-07-24.
- "吸血少女対少女フランケン" (in Japanese). www.allcinema.net. Retrieved 2009-07-24.
- "VAMPIRE GIRL VS. FRANKENSTEIN GIRL (JAPAN, 2009)". www.subwaycinema.com. Retrieved 2009-07-24.
- "Pabaan: Official Website". . Retrieved 2011-06-01.
- "the50kaitenz: Official Website". . Retrieved 2011-07-28.
- "YUBARI INTERNATIONAL FANTASTIC ADVENTURE FILM FESTIVAL'95". yubarifanta.com. Retrieved 2009-09-18.
- "Awards for Yoshihiro Nishimura". IMdB. Retrieved 2009-07-26.
- "2008 Cyber Horror Awards". Cyber Horror Awards. Retrieved 2009-07-26.
- Yoshihiro Nishimura at the Internet Movie Database
- "友松直之" (in Japanese). Japanese Movie Database. Retrieved 2009-07-26.
- "西村喜廣 にしむら・よしひろ" (in Japanese). www.allcinema.net. Retrieved 2009-07-26.
- Wong, Martin (2009). "Wizards of Gore." Giant Robot Magazine issue 61.