Yoshihito, Prince Katsura
Yoshihito, Prince Katsura (桂宮宜仁親王 Katsura-no-miya Yoshihito Shinnō?, born 11 February 1948) is a member of the Imperial House of Japan and the second son of Takahito, Prince Mikasa and Yuriko, Princess Mikasa. He is a first cousin of Emperor Akihito. Originally known as Prince Yoshihito of Mikasa, he received the title Prince Katsura (Katsura-no-miya) and authorization to start a new branch of the Imperial Family on 1 January 1988.
Early life and education
The Prince is a graduate from the Department of Political Studies in the Faculty of Law of Gakushuin University in 1971. From 1971 – 1973, he studied at the Graduate School of the Australian National University, in Canberra, Australia. After his return to Japan, he worked as an administrator at the Japan Broadcasting Corporation from 1974–1985.
In 1982, the Prince returned to Australia as part of the Japanese delegation in honor of the tenth anniversary of the Australia-Japan Society. He also visited New Zealand to strengthen ties and friendly diplomatic relations.
Prince Katsura has been paralyzed from the waist down since suffering a series of strokes in May 1988, and uses a wheelchair. Despite his disability, he takes an active role in public service, and appears regularly at award ceremonies, diplomatic events, and as President of various charity organizations.
Titles and styles
|Reference style||His Imperial Highness|
|Spoken style||Your Imperial Highness|
- 11 February 1948 – 1 January 1988: His Imperial Highness Prince Yoshihito of Mikasa
- 1 January 1988 – present: His Imperial Highness The Prince Katsura
- Grand Cordon of the Order of the Chrysanthemum
- Italy : Knight Grand Cross of the Order of Merit of the Italian Republic (09/03/1982)
- Poland : Order of the White Eagle
- President of the Japan Australia New Zealand Society,Inc.
- President of the Agricultural Society of Japan
- President of the Japan Forestry Association
- President of the Japan Art Crafts Association
- President of the Japanese Urushi Craft•Art Association
|Ancestors of Yoshihito, Prince Katsura|
- Italian Presidency, S.A.I. Yoshihito di Mikasa Principe del Giappone
Yoshihito, Prince KatsuraBorn: 11 February 1948
|Lines of succession|
The Prince Mikasa
|Line of succession to the Japanese throne
|Last in line|
|Order of precedence in Japan|
The Prince Mikasa
HIH The Prince Katsura