You're Beautiful (TV series)
Promotional poster for You're Beautiful
|Also known as||He's Beautiful|
|Written by||Hong Jung-eun
|Directed by||Hong Sung-chang|
|Country of origin||South Korea|
|No. of episodes||16|
|Running time||60 minutes
Wednesdays and Thursdays at 21:55 (KST)
|Original channel||Seoul Broadcasting System|
|Picture format||1080i HDTV|
|Original run||7 October 2009– 26 November 2009|
|Preceded by||Swallow the Sun|
|Followed by||Will It Snow for Christmas?|
|Related shows||Ikemen desu ne
You're Beautiful (Hangul: 미남이시네요; hanja: 美男이시네요; RR: Minamisineyo) is a 2009 South Korean musical romantic comedy television drama series, starring Park Shin-hye, Jang Keun-suk, Lee Hong-gi of F.T. Island and Jung Yong-hwa of CN Blue. The series follows a fictional musician band, A.N.JELL, and the relationship between its members when a girl, posing as her twin brother, joins the band. It aired on SBS from October 7 to November 26, 2009 on Wednesdays and Thursdays at 21:55 for 16 episodes.
A Japanese remake of this drama aired in Japan in 2011 as Ikemen desu ne, and included a cameo appearance by Jang Keun-suk in episode 8 as himself. A Taiwanese remake, Fabulous Boys was broadcast in 2013, which included a cameo by Park Shin-hye on the first episode as Go Mi-nyeo herself, cheering on her counterpart Mei Nu.
Go Mi-nyeo (Park Shin-hye) has lived at an orphanage with her twin brother, Go Mi-nam (also played by Park Shin-hye), since childhood, after their father passed away. Years later, her brother becomes a music idol, and Mi-nyeo lives in junior nun dorm to reach her dream of becoming a nun. Her idol twin brother Mi-nam, successfully wins the "A.N Entertainment" vocal auditions for musical band "A.N.JELL," but Mi-nam must leave in order to correct his botched plastic surgery in the United States. Ma Hoon-yi (Mi-nam's manager, played by Kim In-kwon) approaches Mi-nyeo to pose as Mi-nam for a month till he recovers. Mi-nyeo is against it at first, but eventually agrees, as a path to fame would give the twins an opportunity to find their mother. Mi-nyeo, posing as Mi-nam, joins the band A.N.JELL and meets its members: Hwang Tae-kyung (Jang Keun-suk), Jeremy (Lee Hong-gi) and Kang Shin-woo (Jung Yong-hwa).
At first, Tae-kyung does not like Mi-nam and makes her life hard, while Shin-woo and Jeremy are friendly to her. Tae-kyung discovers that Mi-nam is a girl and threatens to reveal it; however, Mi-nam manages to win him over, and he allows her to stay, while fighting his feelings that are beginning to develop. Shin-woo discovers her true identity before anyone does but does not reveal it and develops feelings for her; Jeremy, thinking Mi-nam is a boy, unknowingly starts to fall for her too. She ends up finding love with Tae-kyung. The story follows Mi-nyeo, who has to keep her secret away from the cameras while performing with A.N.JELL, and her journey in discovering her mother's past, which is somehow connected with Tae-kyung.
- Main characters
- Park Shin-hye as Go Mi-nyeo/Gemma (female) and Go Mi-nam (male; Oh Hee-joon plays Mi-nam's body double in ep. 15)
- Due to her twin brother Mi-nam being in the U.S. for surgery, Mi-nyeo disguised herself as Mi-nam to help him get into the band A.N.JELL as a vocalist, and to search for their mother.
- Jung Yong-hwa as Kang Shin-woo
- Bassist and keyboardist of A.N.JELL. Shin-woo was the first to discover Mi-nyeo's female identity, though he does not reveal this to anyone, including Mi-nyeo. For the remainder of the series, he acts as her guardian and protects her secret in various instances.
- Jang Keun-suk as Hwang Tae-kyung
- Lead vocalist and guitarist of A.N.JELL. Tae-kyung harbours a cold exterior but grow softer as his feelings for Mi-nyeo grow. He is troubled by his past, and his distanced relationship with his mother.
- Lee Hong-gi as Jeremy
- Vocalist, rapper and drummer of A.N.JELL. Jeremy is generally oblivious to facts in front of him. He begins to develop feelings for Mi-nyeo early on in the series, and questions his sexuality because of it. Jeremy serves as a major source of comic relief.
- Supporting characters
- Uee as Yoo He-yi
- A double-faced actress who later falls for Tae-kyung.
- Kim In-kwon as Ma Hoon-yi
- Mi-nam's manager.
- Jung Chan as Ahn Seong-chang
- President of talent agency A.N Entertainment.
- Choi Soo-eun as "Coordi" Wang
- Stylist of A.N.JELL.
- Kim Sung-ryung as Mo Hwa-ran
- Famous actress and solo singer, and Hwang Tae-kyung's "hidden" mother.
- Bae Geu-rin as Sa Yu-ri
- A.N.JELL fan club president.
- Choi Ran as Go Mi-ja
- Mi-nam and Mi-nyeo's aunt.
- Jang Won-young as Kim Young-ho
- Photographer of Nara Daily News.
- Tae Hwang as assistant
- Kim Min-chan as backup dancer
- Seong Byeong-suk as the head nun
- Jeon Hye-yeong & Kim Min-yeong as A.N.JELL fanclub members
- Kim Dong-yeon as Kim Dong-jun (Mi-nam's high school friend who has a crush on Mi-nyeo, and extra in "Mi-nam"'s music video)
- Lee Jooyeon & Yoo So-young as girl group "Before School" (cameos)
- Yoo Seung-ho as convenience store customer (cameo, ep. 9)
Jang Keun-suk and Park Shin-hye were both cast first, with director Hong Sung-chang stating that the two were well-suited to convey the "fresh" idol stars concept he wanted. Lee Hong-gi (a singer with the idol group F.T. Island) had been a child actor, and this was his acting comeback after a five year break (his last acting project being Kkangsoon in 2005). Jung Yong-hwa made his acting debut with this role, which he auditioned for whilst preparing to debut with his band CN Blue in Japan.
Similar plot and main character
Japanese manga Cinderella Boy (Yumeno Makoto, 2000), Idol Paradise (Asami Miyabi, 2005) and Teppen! (Tsukimiya An, 2008) have similarities on main character and plot in different story line about a female main character disguising herself as a male to become a member of a famous idol boy group.
During its run, several car companies offered to have their cars be used on the drama for promotional purposes. The latest car from the German automaker Audi introduced their Audi S4 on the miniseries, with Jang Keun-suk driving it.
Additionally, the soundtrack of the miniseries also sold 20,000 copies within its first seven days of released due to the popularity of the show. The album became a top seller on all the various online sites, such as MelOn, Dosirak, and Mnet. The album was written and produced by Han Sung-ho, who also worked on the dramas Lovers, On Air, and Brilliant Legacy. Also, the soundtrack sold almost 57,000 copies in 2011 in South Korea.
Because the drama features a concert footage in it, A.N.JELL actually performed a mini-concert, where it was reported that as many 25,000 fans showed up. The group performed the songs "Promise" and "Still"; Jang Keun-suk also sang "Good Bye" and "What Should I Do," the latter of which is the track Tae-kyung remakes for his mother in the drama. Park Shin-hye sang her character’s theme song, "Lovely Day."
The series was also broadcast throughout Asia. It aired on channels such as Fuji TV in Japan, CCTV in China, BBTV in Thailand, MATV in Singapore, Indosiar in Indonesia and Mbc4 in UAE  When the series was broadcast in Japan on Fuji TV where it scored very high ratings beating out all of its competitors in its timeslot. The series became so popular in Japan it is believed to have overtaken the popularity of Winter Sonata another popular Korean drama in Japan.
|Episode #||Original broadcast date||Average audience share|
|TNmS Ratings||AGB Nielsen|
|Nationwide||Seoul National Capital Area||Nationwide||Seoul National Capital Area|
|1||7 October 2009||10.8%||11.6%||9.2%||9.7%|
|2||8 October 2009||9.6%||10.2%||7.6%||8.0%|
|3||14 October 2009||8.3%||8.5%||7.5%||8.1%|
|4||15 October 2009||8.9%||9.4%||7.7%||7.9%|
|5||21 October 2009||9.0%||9.2%||8.4%||8.5%|
|6||22 October 2009||10.0%||10.2%||8.9%||9.4%|
|7||28 October 2009||9.6%||10.2%||8.6%||8.8%|
|8||29 October 2009||9.8%||10.3%||9.0%||9.3%|
|9||4 November 2009||9.8%||10.3%||9.4%||9.6%|
|10||5 November 2009||10.0%||10.5%||10.8%||11.6%|
|11||11 November 2009||11.0%||11.3%||10.4%||10.5%|
|12||12 November 2009||11.1%||11.1%||10.9%||10.6%|
|13||18 November 2009||10.6%||11.1%||9.1%||8.8%|
|14||19 November 2009||10.1%||10.0%||9.4%||9.6%|
|15||25 November 2009||10.9%||11.7%||9.5%||9.6%|
|16||26 November 2009||11.9%||12.2%||10.3%||11.0%|
Awards and nominations
||Excellence Award, Actor in a Drama Special||Jang Keun-suk||Nominated|
|Excellence Award, Actress in a Drama Special||Park Shin-hye||Nominated|
|Best Supporting Actor in a Drama Special||Kim In-kwon||Nominated|
|Best Supporting Actress in a Drama Special||Choi Ran||Nominated|
|Top 10 Stars||Jang Keun-suk||Won|
|New Star Award||Park Shin-hye||Won|
|Netizen Popularity Award||Jang Keun-suk||Won|
||Best Director (TV)||Hong Sung-chang||Nominated|
||Most Popular Actor||Jung Yong-hwa||Won|
||Best Foreign Soap Opera||You're Beautiful||Won|
- "Takimoto Miori, Tamamori Yuta, Fujigaya Taisuke, Yaotome Hikaru star in You're Beautiful remake". Tokyograph. May 17, 2011. Retrieved May 21, 2011.
- "Park Shin Hye to make cameo on Taiwanese remake of You're Beautiful". Allkpop. November 8, 2012. Retrieved January 10, 2015.
- 장근석-박신혜 아이돌스타 다룬 '미남이시네요' 캐스팅. Newsen (in Korean). August 7, 2009. Retrieved November 29, 2009.
- "'미남이시네요' 이홍기 "연기 도전, 부담 없다"" [FT Island's Hong Ki ready to return to acting]. Joy News (in Korean). September 19, 2009. Retrieved November 29, 2009.
- Lee, Ho-jeong (November 16, 2009). "Luxury carmakers target TV dramas". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved November 29, 2009.
- "OST album of You're Beautiful soars with nearly 20,000 copies sold in the first week". Hancinema. October 27, 2009. Retrieved November 29, 2009.
- "'미남이시네요' OST 앨범 판매 대박행진!" [A.N.JELL's music is a hit]. BNTNews (in Korean). October 25, 2009. Retrieved November 29, 2009.
- "'미남이시네요' AN.Jell, 실제 가수로 활약?" [You're Beautiful's AN.Jell to work as real singers?]. IS Plus (in Korean). October 25, 2009. Retrieved November 29, 2009.
- "'미남' 꽃미남 그룹 에이엔젤, 공개 미니 콘서트 연다!" [A.N.JELL to hold a second mini-concert]. BNTNews (in Korean). November 21, 2009. Retrieved November 29, 2009.
- "'미남' 마지막 콘서트, 3천명 구름관중" [A.N.JELL holds its last concert]. Osen (in Korean). November 23, 2009. Retrieved November 29, 2009.
- "이홍기 "'미남이시네요' 끝까지 응원해 달라"". Star News (in Korean). November 3, 2009. Retrieved November 29, 2009.
- "'미남' 장근석, 팬들 응원에 힘났다". MK News (in Korean). November 3, 2009. Retrieved November 29, 2009.
- "'미남이시네요'가 '아이리스'에 기죽지 않는 이유" [You're Beautiful's passionate cult following]. IS Plus (in Korean). October 3, 2009. Retrieved November 29, 2009.
- "Korean drama Minamishineyo scores top rating in Japan". 10Asia. August 5, 2010. Retrieved January 10, 2015.
- "You're Beautiful and Sungkyungwan Scandal to be shown in Japanese theaters". Hancinema. April 11, 2011. Retrieved January 10, 2015.
- "Jang Geun-seok You're Beautiful beats Winter Sonata". Hancinema. September 14, 2011. Retrieved January 10, 2015.
- "TNMS Daily Ratings: this links to current day-select the date from drop down menu". TNMS Ratings (in Korean). Retrieved October 7, 2009.
- "AGB Daily Ratings: this links to current day-select the date from drop down menu". AGB Nielsen Media Research (in Korean). Retrieved October 7, 2009.
- "Jang Seo-hee wins grand prize at SBS Drama Awards". 10Asia. January 4, 2010. Retrieved January 10, 2015.