You're Beautiful (TV series)
|Also known as||美男이시네요(Minamisineyo)
|Written by||Hong Jung-eun
|Directed by||Hong Sung-chang|
Jang Geun Suk
|Country of origin||South Korea|
|No. of episodes||16|
|Running time||60 minutes
Wednesdays and Thursdays at 21:55 (KST)
|Original channel||Seoul Broadcasting System (SBS)|
|Picture format||1080i HDTV|
|Original run||7 October 2009– 26 November 2009|
|Preceded by||Swallow the Sun|
|Followed by||Will It Snow For Christmas?|
|Related shows||Ikemen desu ne (Japanese Remake)
Fabulous Boys (Taiwanese Remake)
|You're Beautiful SBS official website|
You're Beautiful (Hangul: 미남이시네요; Hanja: 美男이시네요; RR: Minamisineyo; early broadcast generally known as: He's Beautiful) is a 2009 South Korean musical romantic comedy television drama series, starring Park Shin-hye, Jang Geun Suk, Lee Hong-ki of F.T. Island and Jung Yong-hwa of CN Blue. It is about a fictional musician band A.N.Jell and the relationship between its members when a female, posing as her twin brother, joins the band. It aired on Seoul Broadcasting System (SBS) from October 7 to November 26, 2009 on Wednesdays and Thursdays at 21:55 for 16 episodes. The series has been posted on SBS's YouTube channel. A Japanese remake of this drama was released in Japan in July 2011 as Ikemen desu ne, and included a cameo appearance by Jang Geun-suk in episode 8 as him self for his Japanese counterpart Gunsoku, Ren. A Taiwanese remake, Fabulous Boys, was broadcast in 2013, which includes a cameo appearance by Park Shin-hye on the first episode as Go Mi Nyu in mission disguised again(Now as annoying Korean girl) for estafette the Mi Nam character, by cheering Mei Nu become Mei Nan.
Go Mi Nyu (Park Shin-hye) stayed at an orphanage with her twin brother Go Mi Nam (Played by Park Shin-hye too) since childhood, when their father passed away. After her brother has become a music idol, now Mi Nyu with a name Gemma lived in junior nun dorm to reach her dream of nun. Her idol twin brother Mi Nam, successfully win the "A*N Entertaiment" vocal auditions for musical band "A*N.JELL", but Mi Nam must leave in order to correct his botched plastic surgery in United States. Ma Hoon Yi(Mi Nam's manager, played by Kim In Kwon) approaches Mi Nyu's/Gemma's to pose as Mi Nam while he recovers, Mi Nyu's/Gemma's is against it at first, but agrees in order to fulfill her way of finding their mother, Mi Nyu/Gemma's posing as Mi Nam join the band(A*N.JELL) and meets its members, that remembered her(Mi Nyu/Gemma) the three statue on junior nun dorm: Hwang Tae Kyung (Jang Geun Suk), Kang Shin Woo (Jung Yong-hwa) and Jeremy (Lee Hongki).
At first, Tae Kyung does not like Mi Nam and makes her life hard, Shin Woo and Jeremy are friendly to her. Tae Kyung discovers that Mi Nam is a girl and threatens to reveal it, Shin Woo discovers it but does not reveal it and develops feelings for her, Jeremy has curiosity of Mi Nam's act. The story follows Mi Nyu/Gemma to keep her lives away from the cameras and some untrusted people, also A*N.JELL members and their trusted people efforts to keep the secret of fake Mi Nam's(Posing by Mi Nam's sisters, Mi Nyu/Gemma) from a publicity.
- The A*N.JELL
- Park Shin-hye as Go Mi Nyu/Gemma (Female) and Go Mi Nam (Male). Due to her twin brother (Portrayal by Park Shin Hye and substitute for male body of Go Mi Nam by Oh Hee Joon cameo, ep 15) being in the U.S for surgery, she disguised herself as her brother to help him from not being in the A*N.JELL musician band (vocalist) and search their parents.
- Jang Geun Suk as Hwang Tae Kyung (lead vocalist and guitarist of A*N.JELL)
- Jung Yong-hwa as Kang Shin Woo (bassist of A*N.JELL)
- Lee Hongki as Jeremy (vocalist, rapper and drummer of A*N.JELL)
- Supporting & Recuirring cast
- A*N Entertainment
- Jung Chan as President Ahn
- Choi Soo Eun as Stylist Wang/Wang Coordi (Stylist of A*N.JELL)
- Other characters
- Kim In Kwon as Manager Ma/Ma Hoon Yi (Mi Nam's manager)
- Bae Geu Rin as Sa Yu Ri (fan club president)
- Uee as Yoo He Yi (An actrees & leader of "After School" idol girl group)
- Tae Hwang as assistant
- Choi Ran as Go Mi Ja (Mi Nam & Mi Nyu's aunt)
- Kim Sung Ryung as Mo Hwa Ran (A soloist singer & Hwang Tae Kyung mother)
- Jang Won Young as Mr. Kim/Kim Young Woo(photographer, Nara Daily News)
- Yoo Seung Ho
- Lee Joo Yeon as Before School member (cameo)
- Yoo So Young as Before School member (cameo)
- Yoo Seung Ho (Mi Nam's high school friend & solo songs video clip model. cameo, ep9)
Jang Keun-suk and Park Shin-hye were both cast first, with director Hong Sung-chang stating that the two were well-suited to convey the “fresh” idol stars concept he wanted. Lee HongKi, who was a child actor, has made his acting comeback after a five year break (his last being Kkangsoon” in 2005pdl) by being cast as Jeremy. An SBS spokesperson stated that because Hong Ki is actually a part of an idol group F.T. Island , the "role will suit him very well." The role of Shin-woo marks Jung Yong-hwa's acting debut, which he auditioned for whilst preparing to debut with his band CN Blue in Japan.
Similar plot and main character
A Japanese manga Cinderella Boy(Yumeno Makoto, 2000), Idol Paradise(Asami Miyabi, 2005) and Teppen!(Tsukimiya An, 2008) has a similarities on main character and plot in different story line about the girl main character using male disguised to be a member of handsome and famous musician male group idol.
During its run, several car companies offered to have their cars be used on the drama for promotional purposes. The latest car from the German automaker Audi introduced their Audi S4 on the miniseries, with Jang Keun Suk (Tae Kyung) driving it.
Additionally, the soundtrack of the miniseries also sold 20,000 copies within its first seven days of released due to the popularity of the show. The album became a top seller on all the various online sites, such as Melon, Dosirak, and Mnet. The album was written and produced by Han Sung-ho, who also worked on the dramas Lovers, On Air, and Brilliant Legacy. Also, the soundtrack sold almost 57,000 copies in 2011 in South Korea.
Because the drama features a concert footage in it, A.N.JELL actually performed a mini-concert, where it was reported that as many 25,000 fans showed up. The group performed the songs “Promise” and “Still”; Jang Keun Suk also sang “Good Bye” and “What Should I Do,” the latter of which is the track Tae Kyung remakes for his mother in the drama. Park Shin Hye sang her character’s theme song, “Lovely Day.” Numerous fans have watched the dramas online. The drama also gained a cult following.
The series was also broadcast throughout Asia. It aired on channels such as Fuji TV in Japan, CCTV in China, BBTV in Thailand, ABS-CBN in the Philippines, MATV in Singapore, and Indosiar in Indonesia. When the series was broadcast in Japan on Fuji TV where it scored very high ratings beating out all of its competitors in its timeslot. The series became so popular in Japan it is believed to have overtaken the popularity of Winter Sonata another popular Korean drama in Japan. The series was so popular it was edited down to a movie version and played in movie theaters across Japan in 2011.
|Episode #||Original broadcast date||Average audience share|
|TNmS Ratings||AGB Nielsen|
|Nationwide||Seoul National Capital Area||Nationwide||Seoul National Capital Area|
|1||7 October 2009||10.8% (11th)||11.6% (11th)||9.2% (16th)||9.7% (16th)|
|2||8 October 2009||9.6% (12th)||10.2% (11th)||7.6%||8.0%|
|3||14 October 2009||8.3% (17th)||8.5% (14th)||7.5% (20th)||8.1% (18th)|
|4||15 October 2009||8.9% (14th)||9.4% (11th)||7.7%||7.9%|
|5||21 October 2009||9.0% (18th)||9.2% (13th)||8.4% (18th)||8.5% (20th)|
|6||22 October 2009||10.0% (11th)||10.2% (11th)||8.9% (14th)||9.4% (14th)|
|7||28 October 2009||9.6% (14th)||10.2% (11th)||8.6% (18th)||8.8%|
|8||29 October 2009||9.8% (12th)||10.3% (11th)||9.0% (20th)||9.3% (20th)|
|9||4 November 2009||9.8% (17th)||10.3% (13th)||9.4% (15th)||9.6% (17th)|
|10||5 November 2009||10.0% (14th)||10.5% (11th)||10.8% (10th)||11.6% (9th)|
|11||11 November 2009||11.0% (10th)||11.3% (9th)||10.4% (13th)||10.5% (13th)|
|12||12 November 2009||11.1% (9th)||11.1% (9th)||10.9% (10th)||10.6% (12th)|
|13||18 November 2009||10.6% (13th)||11.1% (10th)||9.1% (19th)||8.8%|
|14||19 November 2009||10.1% (13th)||10.0% (12th)||9.4% (16th)||9.6% (17th)|
|15||25 November 2009||10.9% (10th)||11.7% (8th)||9.5% (15th)||9.6% (15th)|
|16||26 November 2009||11.9% (9th)||12.2% (9th)||10.3% (14th)||11.0% (11th)|
In Philippines, the show was aired by ABS-CBN entitled "He's Beautiful". It was part of the weekdays' afternoon block of shows- Kapamilya Gold.
Source: Kantar Media/TNS Philippines
- 2009 SBS Drama Awards
- Top Ten Star Award (Jang Keun-suk)
- Netizen Highest Popularity Award (Jang Keun-suk)
- New Star Award (Park Shin-hye)
- New Star Award (Lee Hong Ki)
- New Star Award (Jung Yong-hwa)
2011 USTv Awards
- Best Foreign Soap Opera
- "SBS Video on Demand's YouTube channel". SBS. Retrieved May 28, 2011.
- "Takimoto Miori, Tamamori Yuta, Fujigaya Taisuke, Yaotome Hikaru star in "You’re Beautiful" remake". Tokyograph. May 17, 2011. Retrieved 2011-05-21.
- "장근석-박신혜 아이돌스타 다룬 ‘미남이시네요’ 캐스팅". Newsen (in Korean). August 7, 2009. Retrieved November 29, 2009.
- "'미남이시네요' 이홍기 "연기 도전, 부담 없다" (FT Island’s Hong Ki ready to return to acting)". JoyNews (in Korean). Retrieved November 29, 2009.
- Luxury carmakers target TV dramas HanCinema. November 16, 2009. Retrieved November 29, 2009.
- OST album of 'You're Beautiful' soars with nearly 20,000 copies sold in the first week HanCinema. October 10, 2009. Retrieved November 29, 2009.
- "'미남이시네요' OST 앨범 판매 대박행진! (A.N.JELL’s music is a hit)" BNT News. Retrieved November 29, 2009.
- "‘미남이시네요’ AN.Jell, 실제 가수로 활약?" ('You're Beautifuls AN.Jell To Work As Real Singers?. IS PLUS. Retrieved November 29, 2009.
- "‘미남’ 꽃미남 그룹 에이엔젤, 공개 미니 콘서트 연다! (A.N.JELL to hold a second mini-concert)". BNT News. Retrieved November 29, 2009.
- "'미남' 마지막 콘서트, 3천명 구름관중 (A.N.JELL holds its last concert)". OSEN. November 23, 2009. Retrieved November 29, 2009.
- "이홍기 "'미남이시네요' 끝까지 응원해 달라"". Star News. Retrieved November 29, 2009.
- "'미남' 장근석, 팬들 응원에 힘났다". Sports Seoul. Retrieved November 29, 2009.
- "‘미남이시네요’가 ‘아이리스’에 기죽지 않는 이유 (You’re Beautiful’s passionate cult following)". IS PLUS. October 30, 2009. Retrieved November 29, 2009.
- "TNMS Daily Ratings: this links to current day-select the date from drop down menu". TNMS Ratings (in Korean). Retrieved 2012-10-31.
- "AGB Daily Ratings: this links to current day-select the date from drop down menu". AGB Nielsen Media Research (in Korean). Retrieved 2012-10-31.
- "‘아내의 유혹’ 장서희, SBS연기대상 ‘대상’ 수상(종합) (Daesang (Grand Prize): Jang Seo Hee (Temptation Of Wife)". Nate.com. 2010-01-01. Retrieved 2011-03-04. Unknown parameter