You're a Big Boy Now
|You're a Big Boy Now|
|Directed by||Francis Ford Coppola|
|Produced by||Phil Feldman|
|Screenplay by||Francis Ford Coppola|
|Based on||You're a Big Boy Now by David Benedictus|
|Music by||Robert Prince|
|Edited by||Aram Avakian|
|Distributed by||Warner Bros.-Seven Arts|
|Release dates||December 9, 1966|
|Running time||97 minutes|
You're a Big Boy Now is a 1966 film starring Elizabeth Hartman, Geraldine Page, Peter Kastner, Rip Torn, Karen Black, and Julie Harris. It was written and directed by Francis Ford Coppola, based on David Benedictus' 1963 novel, also titled You're a Big Boy Now.
The story of a young man's troubled awakening to the big world is a peculiar one. But the film is an early example of the forthcoming counterculture sensibilities — not because of a focus on drugs or long hair, but because of the inclusion of the emerging music, the latest dance trends, and fresh social attitudes. As with The Graduate, there is the sense of searching for "something new" other than the conventional, discouraging world of the socially secure adults.
The hit song by the same name, written and performed by the Lovin' Spoonful, was later included in an album a year later, after the movie had run its course in first-run theaters.
The film also contained the Lovin' Spoonful instrumental Amy's Theme, and the jazz bagpiper Rufus Harley plays a small role. The Spoonful released a soundtrack album. It was entered into the 1967 Cannes Film Festival.
Geraldine Page received an Oscar nomination in the Best Supporting Actress category for her performance. It was the fourth of her eight Oscar nominations. She won the Oscar only once, for her final nomination, the year before her death.
- Elizabeth Hartman as Barbara Darling
- Geraldine Page as Margery Chanticleer
- Peter Kastner as Bernard Chanticleer
- Rip Torn as I.H. Chanticleer
- Michael Dunn as Richard Mudd
- Tony Bill as Raef del Grado
- Karen Black as Amy Partlett
- Julie Harris as Miss Nora Thing
- Dolph Sweet as Policeman Francis Graf
- Michael O'Sullivan as Kurt Doughty
- Ron Colby, Rufus Harley, Frank Simpson, Nina Varella and Len De Carl as Barbara's Stage Play Crew
- "Festival de Cannes: You're a Big Boy Now". festival-cannes.com. Retrieved 2009-03-11.
- New York: The Movie Lover's Guide: The Ultimate Insider Tour of Movie New York - Richard Alleman - Broadway (February 1, 2005) ISBN 0-7679-1634-4
- .^ Kolbert, Elizabeth. Geraldine Page, 62, Dies; A Star of Stage and Film. New York Times. 15 June 1987.