"You're the Best" is a song performed by Joe Esposito and written by Bill Conti and Allee Willis, which came to prominence as the music to the All-Valley Karate Championships montage in the 1984 movie The Karate Kid in which the protagonist, Daniel LaRusso (Ralph Macchio), proves a surprisingly formidable contender.
Responding to years of criticism of "You're the Best" on the radio, Esposito called in to the Adam Carolla Show on April 9, 2008. The criticism was that the lyric "History repeats itself" was inappropriate because it was played during Larusso's first All-Valley Tournament in The Karate Kid. Esposito then revealed that the song was originally intended for the Rocky III soundtrack but was replaced by "Eye of the Tiger." It was subsequently also turned down for the Flashdance soundtrack in favor of "Maniac" by Michael Sembello. Karate Kid director John Avildsen liked the song so much he used it in the movie.
The track has been used since in numerous homages to eighties movies, including:
Animated television 
- South Park, Episode 130, "The Losing Edge" (sped up)
- Futurama, Episode 54, "30% Iron Chef"
- Bob's Burgers, Episode 33, "Nude Beach"
- Homestar Runner, the Strong Bad Email "montage"
- Regular Show, Episode 4, "Death Punchies"
- Back at the Barnyard, Episode 52a, "Mission: Save Bigfoot"
- Smeglies, Episode 128.5,"The Ultimate Slumber Party for The Girls and The Guys Part 2"
Live-action television 
- It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Episode 205, "$100 Baby" and Episode 604, "Mac's Big Break"
- Rob & Big, Season 1, Episode 4
- Reaper, Season 2, Episode 1, "Episode IV: A New Hope"
- Greek, Season 3, Episode 10, "Friend or Foe"
- Sport Relief 2010 (James Corden and Manchester United)
- Mongrels, Season 1, Episode 6
Live-action film 
Professional sports 
- 2007 Utilikilts Mockumercial "The Kegerator".
- 2009 commercial of the Ford Focus in Mexico.
- 2010 Sport Relief commercial in Britain.
- 2010 Derek Ledgerwood's new marketing campaign. Song is played whenever a loan is closed.
- 2010 EA Sports Active NFL Training Camp video game.
- 2012 Moneysupermarket.com commercial in Britain.
- The song also appears on the Opie & Anthony show whenever Master Po walks into the studio.
- The song is often played on the Mike and Mike Show on ESPN Radio.
- A brief sample of the song is played in honor of particularly interesting callers on the Charlie Hodge Rock 'n Roll Halftime Show on KLBJ-FM in Austin, Texas. This is referred to as "The Joe Esposito Award".
- It is used periodically on the Toucher and Rich Show on Boston's 98.5 the Sports Hub, for example in reference to Tyler Seguin.
- The chorus of the song "You're the best around/Nothing's ever gonna keep you down" is frequently played on the Tampa, Florida radio station WXTB, colloquially known as 98 Rock.
- On BBC Radio 1, the song is played after the first text of the day winner is selected on Devin Griffin's Early Breakfast Show.
- The song is used as an intro to the League of Ireland section of the Off the Ball show on Newstalk radio in Ireland.
Video games 
- Capcom and UDON used the song for both of their trailers for Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix.
- This song is used for the ending theme on a remixed version of Marvel vs. Capcom 2.
- An achievement/trophy in the video game BlazBlue is named "You're the best! Around!" and another named "Nothing's Gonna Keep You Down".
- The achievement called "You're the best around!" is awarded for completing the video game Splosion Man in single player.
- An achievement/trophy in Dante's Inferno called "You're the best around!" is awarded for earning a player score of 250,000 in the Trials of Saint Lucia DLC pack.
- The Adult Swim game Jetpack Jackass uses the song as its soundtrack.
- The song is part of the Saints Row: The Third soundtrack. It also plays during the mission "MurderBrawl XXXI," when player acquires the chainsaw.
Other songs