You & Me (The Walkmen album)
|You & Me|
|Studio album by The Walkmen|
|Released||August 19, 2008|
|Recorded||Gigantic Studios, Manhattan
Water Music, Hoboken
Sweet Tea Studios, Oxford
Fierce Panda (UK)
|Producer||The Walkmen, Chris Zane|
|The Walkmen chronology|
|The Austin Chronicle|||
|The A.V. Club/The Onion||(A) |
|Drowned in Sound||(8/10) |
|Pitchfork Media||(8.5/10) |
You & Me is the fourth album by indie rock group The Walkmen.
A special pre-release of the album was made available on July 29, 2008 through the independent music website Amie Street. The album sold for five dollars, with proceeds going to the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center. The album was officially released in the United States on August 19, 2008. During its first week of sales, the album charted at number 29 on Billboard's Top Digital Albums. The album was initially released on CD, with a limited heavyweight red vinyl edition released on September 2.
You & Me was release in the UK on September 29, 2008 by independent label Fierce Panda. The label released "The Blue Route" and "Canadian Girl" as singles on November 10, 2008 and "In the New Year" as a single on February 23, 2009.
You & Me garnered broadly positive critical acclaim from reviewers. Turntable Kitchen described it as "a thoughtful album that bears witness to a band that is comfortable in their own skin having learned the value of subtlety." Spin gave the album four stars out of five, calling it "a bittersweet, but emboldened fairy tale of New York City rock." The Guardian awarded the album five out of five stars, describing it as "intimate, intense and beautiful... You & Me demands repeat plays and The Walkmen deserve a new respect." Drowned in Sound gave the album 8 out of 10, saying "It's not a showy record, but one that when peeled apart reveals itself to be a darker and more engaging album than on first listen. But not only that, as it might also be the best thing they've ever done."
- "Dónde está la playa" – 3:55
- "Flamingos" (for Colbert) – 1:11
- "On the Water" – 3:10
- "In the New Year" – 4:22
- "Seven Years of Holidays" (for Stretch) – 3:40
- "Postcards from Tiny Islands" – 4:04
- "Red Moon" – 4:02
- "Canadian Girl" – 4:05
- "Four Provinces" – 4:02
- "Long Time Ahead of Us" – 3:47
- "The Blue Route" – 4:26
- "New Country" – 3:44
- "I Lost You" – 3:32
- "If Only It Were True" – 3:07
- "The Blue Route" b/w "Canadian Girl" (double A-side 7" single, November 10, 2008; Fierce Panda)
- "In the New Year" (Edit) b/w "Ride Down the Highway" (7" single, February 23, 2009; Fierce Panda)
- The Walkmen are:
- Recorded by Chris Zane at Gigantic Studios, Manhattan; and John Agnello at Water Music, Hoboken and Sweet Tea Studios, Oxford, Mississippi.
- Alex Aldi – second engineer at Gigantic Studios.
- "Flamingos" recorded and mixed by Paul Maroon at Brutalis Studios, Philadelphia.
- All songs mixed by Chris Zane at Gigantic Studios, Manhattan, 2008.
- Mastered by Emily Lazar at The Lodge.
- Assistant mastering engineer – Joe LaPorta.
- All photographs by Fred Maroon.
- Design by Elizabeth Spiridakis.
- Phares, Heather. You & Me (The Walkmen album) at AllMusic
- The Austin Chronicle review
- The A.V. Club review
- Drowned in Sound review
- Filter, Fall 2008 issue, p.91
- The Guardian review
- Pitchfork Media review
- Q, Nov. 2008 issue, p.123
- Rolling Stone review[dead link]
- PrefixMag.com: Walkmen release You & Me for $5...
- "Get The Walkmen Album Early, Help Charity On Amie Street". TechCrunch. 2008-07-28. Retrieved 2008-08-08.
- "Top Digital Albums". Billboard. 2008-08-06. Retrieved 2008-08-08.
- The Walkmen - You & Me LP
- Musical Pairings: The Walkmen - You & Me / Turntable Kitchen
- Spin magazine, October 2008 issue, p. 122
- The Walkmen: You & Me | The Guardian.co.uk
- Review / The Walkmen - You & Me / Drowned in Sound