You Are (Atomic Kitten song)
|Single by Atomic Kitten|
|from the album Right Now (Re-issue)|
|Released||November 26, 2001|
|Recorded||Motor Museum Studios|
|Writer(s)||P Gendler, C Hector, Steve Mac, A. Tennant|
|Atomic Kitten singles chronology|
"You Are" is a song by Atomic Kitten, released as the group's seventh overall single and second single from the reissue of their debut album, Right Now. The single became the group's lowest charting single, failing to chart in Asia, the United Kingdom or Ireland, however, it did find success in Sweden, France and Austria.
The song was introduced on the re-issue of the album. The album version of "You Are", differs from the single version, as the single version features newly recorded vocals and a new musical arrangement. On the album version, Natasha performs every solo in the song, however, for the single version, Liz performs half of the verses, whilst Jenny performs the background vocals and responses.
- "You Are" - 3:27
- "You Are" (M*A*S*H Radio Mix) - 3:37
- "Megamix" - 6:00
- "You Are" (Video)
- "You Are" - 3:27
- "Right Now" (M*A*S*H Anthem Mix) - 7:06
- "True Friends" - 3:31
- "You Are" - 3:27
- "Megamix" - 6:00
- "Right Now" (M*A*S*H Radio Mix) - 3:35
- You Are (Original Album Version) - 3:33
- You Are (Single Version) - 3:28
- You Are (M*A*S*H Radio Mix) - 3:27
- You Are (M*A*S*H Anthem Mix) - 7:15
The music video was originally planned to be filmed at Grand Central Station in New York City; however, plans had to be scrapped due to the terrorist attack on the World Trade Center. Instead, the video was filmed on a specially built set. Throughout the video, the group are on a glass stage with a plain white background and two large speakers either side of the stage. The video starts off with the group in a line sitting on chairs. A basic dance routine accompanies the chorus. After the chorus, the group walk about on the stage at a non stylised pace, and close ups of the members' eyes, lips and faces conclude the video. Throughout the video, various scenes of a young couple are also spliced in.
"You Are" is one of Atomic Kitten's least successful singles worldwide. The record company originally thought the single was going to be a huge success, due to be written by Steve Mac, a song writer that has produced twenty number one singles. However, the song was never promoted internationally - only in the United Kingdom where it was never released, and partially in Germany. The single became a top twenty hit in New Zealand, where it peaked at number thirteen, staying in the top fifty for fifteen weeks - a third of which were in the top twenty. "You Are" failed to reach the top fifty in Oceania. The song's best country to chart was Belgium (Wallonia), where it got into the top ten, peaking at number nine. It stayed in the charts for four weeks. In Belgium (Flanders), the song peaked at number twenty-four. It was their fourth longest single in the chart over there, lasting eleven weeks in the top fifty. Elsewhere in Europe, the song did not reach the top twenty, although, it was planned to be released in the UK for a Christmas number one, but it was never released for unknown reasons. However, the song did make it into the top 100 due to imports, peaking at number ninety in the United Kingdom. In German speaking Europe, the song managed to peak at number sixty-one in Germany and stayed on the charts for nine weeks. It first appeared on the charts in December 2001, and appeared on the charts again in January 2003. In Switzerland, the song peaked at number forty and stayed on the charts for sixteen weeks - the longest out of any country it was released in. The song debuted and peaked at number forty-six in Austria, and lasted seven weeks on the chart. In France, it gaining a peak of number eighty-six, subsequently lasting three weeks in the top 100. The song was a success in South Africa, earning a double platinum certification.
|Austrian Singles Chart||46|
|Belgium Singles Chart (Flanders)||24|
|Belgium Singles Chart (Wallonia)||9|
|Dutch Top 40||31|
|French Singles Chart||86|
|German Singles Chart||61|
|New Zealand Singles Chart||13|
|Swedish Singles Chart||52|
|Swiss Singles Chart||40|
|UK Singles Chart||90|
The band performed the song at the following events:
- Top of the Pops - (Germany)
- Right Here Right Now Tour
- Children in Need 2001
- Disney Channel Kid's Awards
- The Hits I Missed
- The Saturday Show
- Charity event (Germany)
- "Atomic Kitten'S Grand Plans Scrapped | News". Nme.Com. 2001-10-02. Retrieved 2012-08-13.
- "New Zealand Charts > Atomic Kitten". charts.org.nz Hung Medien. Retrieved 2008-07-24.
- "You Are > Belgium (Wallonia)" (in Belgian). ultratop. Retrieved 2010-08-02.
- "You Are > Belgium (Flanders)" (in Belgian). ultratop. Retrieved 2010-08-02.
- "Chart Log UK: A". zobbel.de. Retrieved 2010-09-02.
- "Chartverfolgung / Atomic Kitten / Single" (in German). musicline.de PhonoNet. Retrieved 2010-07-29.
- "Swiss Charts > Atomic Kitten" (in German). Retrieved 2009-12-14.
- "Austrian Charts > Atomic Kitten" (in German). austriancharts.at Hung Medien. Retrieved 2010-07-27.
- "French Charts > Atomic Kitten" (in French). lescharts.com Hung Medien. Retrieved 2010-07-27.
- "You Are Double Platinum Certification picture". Retrieved 2010-08-02.
- "Dutch Top 40 > Atomic Kitten" (in Dutch). Stichting Nederlandse Top 40. Retrieved 2010-07-28.
- "Swedish Charts > Atomic Kitten". Swedishcharts.come Hung Medien. Retrieved 2010-07-27.