You Can't Stop the Beat
You Can't Stop The Beat is the finale number in the musical Hairspray. It is sung by Tracy, Link, Penny, Seaweed, Edna, Wilbur, Motor Mouth, Velma and Amber. Although it touches on Weightism and Racism its true meaning is in the title: "You Can't Stop the Beat" where "Beat" is a metaphor for Change and Progression
The song was edited for the 2007 film. Notably the Von Tussle section was removed. It was shot however, and is featured as a bonus feature on the DVD.
The entire cast sing together at the Corny Collins Show as all plotlines get resolves and those who are perceived as different by society are given their moment to shine.
The New York Times deemed it a "contagiously elating finale". Reviewing the stage show, Leicester Mercury described the song as "infectiously catchy" and added "you can't fail to leave singing You Can't Stop The Beat". The Boston Globe called it "the show's splashy closing number", The Boston Herald deemed it "joyous", In Newsweekly described it as "the fabulous ensemble closing number", and Theatre Mirror noted "you won't be able to stop your feet from stomping out the rhythm". The Sun Southwestern College said "“You Can’t Stop the Beat” was so high energy it seemed the cast had drained the espresso machine. It left the audience exhausted". NY Magazine called it a "boisterous finale", Spark Sunderland named it "famous", while Plays in the Park dubbed it the "show’s anthem". Joyce's Choices said the song was "jubilant...one of my all time favorite affirmations and musical numbers". 99.9 Kez said " You Can’t Stop the Beat is the ultimate infectious show closer, designed to have you leaving the theatre wishing every musical ended with such an up-beat, high-energy song and dance.
Reviewing a 2014 production, Hoopla wrote "The show’s finale, “You Can’t Stop the Beat,” was just a little shaky at first. The younger principles weren’t synced on the choreography and didn’t all belt out the song with the required verve. But after a bit of plot was taken care of, Holmes and Watkins took their turns center stage on the song and showed everyone how it’s done. Once the whole cast joined in, the joyous singing and dancing was infectious, bringing the show to its rousing, moving conclusion." Spirituality and Practice said "Hairspray is blessed with a vibrant vitality in song and dance that just doesn't stop from the opening to the film's finale "You Can't Stop the Beat.""
- "Review: Hairspray at Curve, Leicester". Leicester Mercury.
- Mike Ceceri. "North Shore Music Theatre - Hairspray - Reviews". nsmt.org.
- "Review: ‘Hairspray’". theswcsun.com.
- "Hairspray - Interview - Sunshine -- New York Magazine Movie Review". NYMag.com.
- "Review: Hairspray - Sunderland Empire » Spark Sunderland". sparksunderland.com.
- Super User. "Review - NJ Press Media (Hairspray)". playsinthepark.com.
- "THEATER: HAIRSPRAY". joyceschoices.com.
- "On-Air". 99.9 KEZ.
- "'Hairspray' didn't stop the beat at Theatre Cedar Rapids : REVIEW". hooplanow.com.
- "Spirituality & Practice: Film Review: Hairspray, directed by Adam Shankman". spiritualityandpractice.com.
- "You can’t stop the Beat - Our Lovely World". Our Lovely World.