You Can All Join In
|You Can All Join In|
|Compilation album (Sampler) by Various Artists|
|Label||Island IWPS 2|
You Can All Join In is a budget priced sampler album, released in the UK by Island Records in 1969. It was priced at 14 shillings and 6 pence (£0.72), and reached no. 18 on the UK Albums Chart that year.
"....one of those seamless compilations that simply cannot be improved upon. A dozen tracks highlight the best - and that is the best - of Island's recent and forthcoming output, from much-anticipated debut albums by Jethro Tull, Free, and Spooky Tooth to the sophomore effort by Fairport Convention."
- "A Song For Jeffrey" (Anderson) – Jethro Tull – (Alternative mix, original version from This Was) (ILPS 9085)
- "Sunshine Help Me" (Wright) – Spooky Tooth – (from It’s All About Spooky Tooth) (ILPS 9080)
- "I’m a Mover" (Rodgers/Fraser) – Free – (from Tons of Sobs) (ILPS 9089)
- "What’s That Sound" (Stills) – Art – (from Supernatural Fairy Tales) (ILP 967)
- "Pearly Queen" (Winwood/Capaldi) – Tramline – (from Moves of Vegetable Centuries) (ILPS 9095)
- "You Can All Join In" (Mason) – Traffic – (from Traffic) (ILPS 9081T)
- "Meet on the Ledge" (Thompson) – Fairport Convention – (from What We Did on Our Holidays) (ILPS 9092)
- "Rainbow Chaser" (Spyropoulos/Campbell-Lyons) – Nirvana – (from All of Us) (ILPS 9087)
- "Dusty" – (Martyn) - John Martyn – (from The Tumbler) (ILPS 9091)
- "I’ll Go Girl" (Ritchie/Ellis/Hughes) – Clouds – (from Scrapbook) (ILPS 9100)
- "Somebody Help Me" (Jackie Edwards) – Spencer Davis Group – (from The Best of the Spencer Davis Group) (ILPS 9070)
- "Gasoline Alley" (Weaver) – Wynder K. Frog – (from Out of the Frying Pan) (ILPS 9082)
The album cover
Designed by Hipgnosis and although not as imaginative as some of their later work, the front cover photograph was taken in Hyde Park and is said to feature "every single one of the Island artistes ... bleary eyed after a party." The rear cover consists merely of a track listing and monochrome images of the covers of eight of the sampled albums (Tracks 1.1, 1.2, 1.4, 1.6, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3 & 2.6).
- Clive Bunker
- Neil Hubbard
- Gary Wright
- Glenn Cornick
- Bruce Rowland
- Martin Barre
- Mick Weaver
- Ian Anderson
- Patrick Campbell-Lyons
- Ashley Hutchings
- Alex Spyropoulos
- Chris Wood
- Richard Thompson
- Ian Matthews
- Steve Winwood
- Ian A. Anderson
- Jim Capaldi
- Mike Harrison
- Martin Lamble
- Simon Nicol
- Harry Hughes
- Rebop Kwaku Baah
- Chris Mercer
- Simon Kirke
- Paul Rodgers
- Billy Ritchie
- Andy Fraser
- Ian Ellis
- Sandy Denny
- Allmusic review
- Martin Roach (ed.), The Virgin Book of British Hit Albums, 2009, ISBN 978-0-7535-1700-0, p.346
- You Can All Join In at Allmusic.com
- This song is sometimes titled "For What It's Worth"
- "creativematch: FEATURE: Meet the man who puts the creative spin on Island Records". www.creativematch.com. Retrieved 2009-12-16.
- "King Crimson to Bumpers - Island Rock LPs, Part 4". Record Collector (208): 125. 1996.
- Martin Barre was not a member of Jethro Tull when the sampled track A Song for Jeffrey was recorded.
- At the time Ian A. Anderson was signed to Liberty Records and did not play on any of the sampled tracks. His music appears on the sampler album Son of Gutbucket.