You Have to Burn the Rope
|You Have to Burn the Rope|
|Release date(s)||April 2008|
|Distribution||online Flash game|
You Have to Burn the Rope is a platform game in which the player must guide the character through a short level through which text on how to beat the game is clearly visible. At the end of the level, the player has a boss fight against the "Grinning Colossus". To beat the boss, the player must jump to one of the torches on the wall and use it to burn the rope attaching a chandelier to the ceiling, dropping it on the boss. The character can throw axes which lower the Grinning Colossus' health bar. However, the health bar regenerates too fast for the player to completely drain.
At the end there is a short section of credits which includes the all-original song "Now You're A Hero", composed by Henrik Nåmark. The entirety of the game is often shorter than the credits song itself, which runs for 2:13. Bart "TheVoid" de Waal holds the speedrun record, at 33 seconds.
On the online website Kongregate, there has been a badge entitled "You have to earn the badge". This is earned by defeating Grinning Colossus.
- Nåmark, Henrik. "Now You're A Hero". Reachground. Retrieved 2009-05-17.
- You Have to Burn the Rope game page, at SpeedDemosArchive.com
- "Mazapán.se - You Have To Burn The Rope". www.mazapan.se. Retrieved 2009-04-10.
- 2011-11-20. "The 11th Annual Independent Games Festival - Finalists & Winners". www.igf.com. Retrieved 2009-04-10.
- "Flash game most likely to become internet meme phenomenon: YHTBTR". www.joystiq.com. Retrieved 2009-04-10.
- "You Have to Burn the Rope: Behind the Music". www.joystiq.com. Retrieved 2009-04-10.
- "Best Week Ever » Blog Archive » You Have To Burn The Rope Is By Far The Greatest Online Game I Have Ever Played". www.bestweekever.tv. Retrieved 2009-04-10.[dead link]
- You Have to Burn the Ropes http://www.wowhead.com/quest=30327