You Know How to Love Me
|You Know How To Love Me|
|Studio album by Phyllis Hyman|
|Released||October 23, 1979|
|Genre||R&B, soul, disco|
|Producer||James Mtume & Reggie Lucas|
|Phyllis Hyman chronology|
Writing in Smash Hits, Bev Hillier described You Know How to Love Me as a "great album" that was "relaxing, pleasant, easy listening and anything similar that you can think of". Hillier went on to describe Hyman's voice as "amazing and perfectly used".
According to the Allmusic review by Jose F. Promis, "The album never truly realized its full potential, but does include the song that would become one of Hyman's signature tunes, "You Know How to Love Me." The song was never a blockbuster hit, but has grown into a classic, covered by artists such as Lisa Stansfield and Robin S". The album reached number ten on the R&B charts in 1980. The single, "You Know How to Love Me" was club smash reaching number six on the dance charts.
- "You Know How to Love Me" (Reggie Lucas, James Mtume) - 7:37
- "Some Way" (Reggie Lucas, James Mtume) - 5:13
- "Under Your Spell" (Reggie Lucas, James Mtume) - 4:40
- "This Feeling Must Be Love" - 3:48
- "But I Love You" - 3:07
- "Heavenly" (Reggie Lucas, James Mtume) - 4:33
- "Hold On" - 4:15
- "Give a Little More" - 4:07
- "Complete Me" - 5:26
CD bonus track
10. "You're the One" (unknown) - 5:24
- Phyllis Hyman - lead and backing vocals
- James Mtume - keyboards, percussion, backing vocals
- Reggie Lucas - guitar, backing vocals
- Howard King - drums
- Ed "Tree" Moore - guitar
- Basil Fearington - bass
- Harry Whitaker, Hubert Eaves - keyboards
- Ed Walsh - Synthesizer
- Gwen Guthrie, Syndi Jordan, Tawatha - backing vocals
|1980||"You Know How to Love Me"||—||12 (1980)||6|
|"Under Your Spell"||—||37||—|
- "You Know How To Love Me Phyllis Hyman". Allmusic. All Media Guide. Retrieved 2011-07-26.
- Hillier, Bev. "Phylis Hyman: You Know How to Love Me". Smash Hits (May 1–14 1980): 29.
- "Phyllis Hyman US albums chart history". allmusic.com. Retrieved 2011-06-24.
- "Phyllis Hyman US singles chart history". allmusic.com. Retrieved 2011-06-24.