You Know Me Better
|"You Know Me Better"|
|Single by Róisín Murphy|
|from the album Overpowered|
|B-side||"Keep It Loose", "Pandora"|
|Released||31 March 2008|
|Format||CD single, digital download,
7" single, 12" single
|Genre||Electropop, synthpop, dance-pop|
|Writer(s)||Róisín Murphy, Andy Cato|
|Róisín Murphy singles chronology|
"You Know Me Better" is a song by Irish recording artist Róisín Murphy from her second solo studio album, Overpowered. Co-written with and produced by Groove Armada's Andy Cato, the track was released as the album's third single on 31 March 2008.
The photoshoot of the single artwork can be viewed on her official website and YouTube channel as of 4 January 2008. The art director of the single was British graphic designer Scott King and the photographer was Jonathan de Villiers. The cover sees Murphy wearing a design by Givenchy.
"You Know Me Better" was well received by music critics. Peter Paphides of The Times described the song as "a rush of colour slowly surging outwards from a hook of pared-back austerity." Alex Fletcher of Digital Spy gave the song four out of five stars, saying producer Andy Cato "lay[s] down a squelching disco groove that veers between early 90's house and the sound of New Order's 'Blue Monday' being fiddled with by the Human League. A typically sultry Murphy more than rises to the occasion, delivering the crisp, soothing vocals that earned Moloko a flash of chart success at the start of the decade." Jax Spike of About.com noted that the song "is a more up-tempo track that comes across as pure enchanted bliss with its tough, staccato vocal and conventional, insistent chorus concealing a quite complex emotional position." Ben Hogwood, writing for musicOMH, stated, "In some way that pushes it closer to a Groove Armada guest slot, but Murphy's vocals are strong enough to pull it back, a slice of electro-disco that may be polished within an inch of its life, but comes back for more with its yearning melody." Cpt H.M. 'Howling Mad' Murdock of Drowned in Sound commented that "You Know Me Better" "mirrors Robyn's recent chart achievements in icy cool style."
The music video for "You Know Me Better" was directed by Canadian director Jaron Albertin and shot at a suburban home in Snaresbrook, North East London. It premiered on Murphy's official YouTube channel on 11 March 2008 and features Murphy at different places in a house playing different characters, each one wearing a different outfit and hairstyle, inspired by the women depicted in the Untitled Film Stills series by American photographer Cindy Sherman.
(available exclusively on iTunes, 7digital and Recordstore.co.uk)
- Radio Edit with album version intro
- Radio Edit with shortened intro
- Album Version
- Live Version
- Demo Version (also known as Andy Cato Alternative Mix)
- Guy Williams Vocal
- Guy Williams Dub
- Nightmoves Mix
- Samim Remix
- Toddla T Vocal
- Toddla T Nu Mix
- Trevor Loveys Vocal
- Trevor Loveys Dub
- Róisín Murphy – vocals
- Dick Beetham – editor
- Andy Cato – producer, engineer, instrumentation
- Ill Factor – additional producer
- Scott King – art direction, design
- Eric Kupper – mixing
- Jonathan de Villiers – photography
|Belgian Tip Chart (Flanders)||13|
|UK Singles Chart||47|
- "You Know Me Better Artwork Photoshoot". YouTube. 4 January 2008. Retrieved 10 July 2010.
- "Roisin Murphy's Dresses". Elle (in Dutch). Hachette Filipacchi Media. 14 April 2008. Retrieved 14 May 2010.
- Paphides, Peter (5 October 2007). "Roisin Murphy: Overpowered". The Times. Times Newspapers. Retrieved 9 July 2010.
- Fletcher, Alex. "Roisin Murphy: 'You Know Me Better'". Digital Spy. Retrieved 9 July 2010.
- Spike, Jax. "Roisin Murphy – 'Overpowered'". About.com. The New York Times Company. Retrieved 9 July 2010.
- Hogwood, Ben. "Róisín Murphy – You Know Me Better (EMI)". musicOMH. Retrieved 9 July 2010.
- Murdock, Cpt H.M. 'Howling Mad' (24 October 2007). "Roisin Murphy – Overpowered". Drowned in Sound. Retrieved 9 July 2010.
- Knight, David (9 April 2008). "Roisin Murphy's You Know Me Better by Jaron Albertin". Promo News. Retrieved 10 July 2010.
- "Roisin's stylist on You Know Me Better". THE LOOK. 2 April 2008. Retrieved 10 July 2010.
- "You Know Me Better (Live At Koko) – Single by Róisín Murphy". iTunes Store UK. Apple Inc. Retrieved 10 July 2010.
- "You Know Me Better (Samim Remix) – Single by Róisín Murphy". iTunes Store UK. Apple Inc. Retrieved 10 July 2010.
- "You Know Me Better – EP 1 by Róisín Murphy". iTunes Store UK. Apple Inc. Retrieved 10 July 2010.
- "You Know Me Better – EP 2 by Róisín Murphy". iTunes Store UK. Apple Inc. Retrieved 10 July 2010.
- "You Know Me Better – EP 3 by Róisín Murphy". iTunes Store UK. Apple Inc. Retrieved 10 July 2010.
- "Róisín Murphy – You Know Me Better". Ultratop (in Dutch). Hung Medien. Retrieved 31 December 2009.
- "Chart Stats – Roisin Murphy – You Know Me Better". The Official Charts Company. Chart Stats. Archived from the original on 21 July 2012. Retrieved 31 December 2009.