You Make Me Feel Like Dancing
|"You Make Me Feel Like Dancing"|
|Single by Leo Sayer|
|from the album Endless Flight|
|A-side||"You Make Me Feel Like Dancing"|
|Format||7" (45 rpm)|
2:50 (7" version)
|Label||Chrysalis Records (UK)
Warner Bros. Records (USA)
|Writer(s)||Vini Poncia, Leo Sayer|
|Leo Sayer singles chronology|
"You Make Me Feel Like Dancing" is a song by the British singer Leo Sayer, taken from his 1976 album Endless Flight. The song reached number one on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 chart, making it his first number-one single in United States, and reached number 2 on the UK Singles Chart. Songwriters Sayer and Vini Poncia won a Grammy Award for the song in 1978 in the category Best R&B Song.
In Australia, a live performance from the TV show "Countdown" is frequently used in place of a music video.
On February 13, 2012, the TV One original series Unsung aired an episode on Ray Parker Jr., in which he claimed that he was the song's original writer. Allegedly, he was playing the song on the piano, and an executive from Capitol Records heard it and later convinced him to make a demo tape. After the song came out by Sayer, Parker, Jr. could not claim copyright infringement seeing as he failed to make the tape.
Charts and sales
|Germany (Media Control AG)||9|
|Ireland (Irish Singles Chart)||5|
|Netherlands (Mega Single Top 100)||11|
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||1|
|United Kingdom (The Official Charts Company)||2|
|US Adult Contemporary (Billboard)||19|
|US Billboard Hot 100||1|
- Sylvia wrote Swedish lyrics for "You Make Me Feel Like Dancing" and recorded this rendering: "Det Känns Som Jag Vill Dansa", for her 1977 album Leenden I Regn
- A remixed version of "You Make Me Feel Like Dancing" credited to Groove Generation featuring Leo Sayer charted on the UK Singles Chart in 1998, peaking at #32.
- A cover by Carmen Carter & Donnie McClurkin featured in the 2000 Walt Disney Pictures direct-to-video animated film An Extremely Goofy Movie.
- A cover version sung by actress Anne Hathaway was included on the soundtrack for the 2004 film Ella Enchanted, adapted from the fantasy novel of the same name.
- A cover was performed by Hot Buttered Rum String Band on their live release "Live in The Northeast."
Appearances in other media
- In episode 3F21 of The Simpsons ("Homerpalooza"), a teenaged Homer and his friend Barney alternate singing the chorus of this song into hairbrushes in Homer's room.
- Fringe - Season Three, Episode 11: Reciprocity, Dr. Walter Bishop (John Noble) and Agent Astrid Farnsworth (Jasika Nicole) are in Dr. Bishop's lab examining the body of a 'shapeshifter', with the song playing in the background.
- In 2008, The Wiggles sang the song as the title work of their DVD "You Make Me Feel Like Dancing," with Leo Sayer guest starring.
- The 1977 comedy film Slap Shot features the song in an early scene.
- Bronson, Fred (2003). The Billboard Book of #1 Hits, 5th Edition (Billboard Publications)
- UK chart info at chartstats.com
- "Die ganze Musik im Internet: Charts, News, Neuerscheinungen, Tickets, Genres, Genresuche, Genrelexikon, Künstler-Suche, Musik-Suche, Track-Suche, Ticket-Suche – musicline.de" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- "Irish Singles Chart – Search for song". Irish Recorded Music Association. Retrieved July 6, 2011.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Leo Sayer – You Make Me Feel Like Dancing" (in Dutch). Mega Single Top 100.
- "Charts.org.nz – Leo Sayer – You Make Me Feel Like Dancing". Top 40 Singles.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Leo Sayer – You Make Me Feel Like Dancing". Singles Top 60.
- "Leo Sayer Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Adult Contemporary for Leo Sayer.
- "Leo Sayer Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Leo Sayer.
- UK 1998 remix chart info at chartstats.com
"You Don't Have to Be a Star (To Be in My Show)" by Marilyn McCoo and Billy Davis, Jr.
|Billboard Hot 100 number one single
January 15, 1977
"I Wish" by Stevie Wonder