Young Democrats of America
|This article relies on references to primary sources. (February 2008)|
|Young Democrats of America|
|President||Atima Omara Alwala|
|Mother party||Democratic Party|
|International affiliation||International Federation of Liberal Youth (IFLRY)|
The Young Democrats of America (YDA), founded in 1932, is the official youth arm of the Democratic Party of the United States, although it severed official ties with the Democratic National Committee following passage of the Bipartisan Campaign Reform Act of 2002 and became an independent 527 group. The group's membership consists of those Democrats under the age of 36 (although two chapters allow members under the age of 40), and its political activities tend to concentrate on increasing the voter turnout of young Democrats and affecting the issues impacting that demographic group. It tends to be somewhat more focused on political activism than the party at large.
As of the 2013 Biennial Convention, the Young Democrats had 44 chartered state federations in the United States with the California Young Democrats as its largest state federation.
2013-2015 YDA Leadership
YDA membership elects sixty national officers biannually at the organization's National Conventions and two DNC representatives in even-numbered years. These officers, as well as six "stakeholders" who are leaders in other related organizations form the national board of directors, which deals with day-to-day management of the organization. The officers were elected at the 2013 YDA National Convention in San Antonio, Texas.
Between national conventions, the governing body of YDA is the National Committee which is composed of the president, the national committeeman and committeewoman of each chartered state federation along with the chairs of the twelve constituency caucuses and the eight regional directors.
The President, Democratic National Committeeman, and Democratic National Committeewoman are automatic members of the Democratic National Committee, and superdelegates to any Democratic National Convention occurring during their terms.
National Elected Officers
- President: Atima Omara-Alwala of Virgina
- Executive Vice President: Erin Carlstrom of California
- Vice President: Ben Yee of New York
- Vice President: Ben Cohen of Kansas
- Vice President: Louis Elrod of Georgia
- Secretary: Shayna Daitch of Oklahoma
- Treasurer: Hugo Velastegui of Delaware
Democratic National Committee Representatives
Both the Democratic National Committeeman and Committeewoman are serving terms that began in 2012 and that will expire in 2014.
- Democratic National Committeeman: Matthew Fruth of Illinois
- Democratic National Committeewoman: Montica Talmadge of North Carolina
- College Caucus Chair: Michael Martinez of Arizona
- Disability Issues Caucus Chair: Kayleigh Rose Garcia of Texas
- High School Caucus Chair: Nickie Mitch of Indiana
- Jewish Caucus Chair: Sam Hudis of New York
- Labor Caucus Chair: Justin D. Meyers of California
- LGBTQ Caucus Chair: Christopher Guerrero of California
- Minority Caucus Chair: Fahim Abedrabbo of New Jersey
- Black Caucus: Rashad Oh of South Carolina
- Hispanic Caucus: Anthony Carrillo Filomeno of Puerto Rico
- Rural Caucus Chair: David Eplin of West Virginia
- Veterans and Military Affairs Caucus Chair: Travis Crow of Maryland
- Women's Caucus Chair: Constantina Meis of New Jersey
State Presidents' Association
- Chair: Shannon Love of Florida
- Vice Chair: TJ Ellerbeck of Utah
- Secretary: Andie Whitaker of Minnesota