Young Democrats of North Carolina
The Young Democrats of North Carolina are the official youth arm of the North Carolina Democratic Party (NCDP). As an auxiliary organization of the NCDP, the officers of the YDNC serve as part of the State Executive Committee of the NCDP. The current President is Sam Spencer, who was elected for a one-year term ending May 1, 2012.
It actively engages North Carolina Democrats from the ages of 18 to 35 who have an active interest in governmental affairs, who are seeking a mechanism for satisfying political expression, and who want to make the members of the Democratic Party aware that young people intend to take an active role in party affairs. The vision of the Young Democrats of North Carolina (YDNC) is to make North Carolina a better place by promoting its issues, its young people, and the spirit of the Democratic Party.
Most recently, YDNC worked to pass of House Bill 91, In-Person Registration and Voting. The new law allows voters to register up to three days before Election Day, down from 25 days under the old law. The measure also provides several safeguards to ensure the integrity of voter registration and toughens criminal penalties for those who commit fraud.
The Young Democrats of North Carolina (YDNC) is responsible for party organizational activity among North Carolina Democrats ages 18–35. In elections in coordinates with state and local candidates, raises funds, and coordinates campaign strategy to bolster youth turnout.
The YDNC is composed 36 county chapters and college chapters.
Engaging Young People
On March 29, 2008 YDNC held its 80th Anniversary Statewide Convention in which a record 600+ people attended. Guest speakers included Chelsea Clinton, James Carville and John Edwards. Although this was the first time John Edwards spoke publicly after he resigned his campaign, he did not endorse either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama for the Democratic presidential nomination.
Leadership and Board of Trustees
YDNC elects six statewide officers at the yearly YDNC convention. Additionally, it appoints leaders on a yearly basis to serve on a Board of Trustee. Governor Jim Hunt serves as the Honorary Chair of the YDNC Board of Trustees. This board serves in an advisory role to YDNC, and assists in fund raising efforts.
- Young Democrats Of N.C. Holds Convention To Inspire Young Voters - News - NBC 17
- YDA | Turning 80: The North Carolina Young Democrats
- Institute for Southern Studies. The Institute for Southern Studies. August 6, 2007.
- NC State Technician. College Democrats part of group proposing changes, legislative action. February 22, 2007.
- Young Democrats | newsobserver.com projects
- CNN Political Ticker: All politics, all the time Blog Archive - Edwards speaks but stays quiet on endorsing Clinton, Obama « - Blogs from CNN.com
- Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com
- Young North Carolinians travel from Murphy to Manteo to give back