Young Girl (song)
1968 45rpm record label
|Single by Gary Puckett & The Union Gap|
|from the album Young Girl|
|B-side||"I'm Losing You"|
|Label||Columbia Records 44450|
|Gary Puckett & The Union Gap singles chronology|
"Young Girl" was a song written by Jerry Fuller, performed by Gary Puckett & The Union Gap, and released in 1968. The song reached No. 2 on the Billboard Hot 100 and it peaked at No. 1 on the UK Singles Chart and the US Cash Box listing.
The song is sung from the point of view of a man who has become distressed upon finding out his lover is under the legal age of consent.
In the UK, the recording enjoyed a second chart run in 1974, when it peaked at No. 6.
- ABBA singer Anni-Frid Lyngstad (commonly known as Frida) recorded a Swedish-language version called "Jag är mig själv nu" (with Swedish lyrics by Marie Bergman) on her solo album, Frida Ensam.
- Claude François, French singer and composer, co-author of "Comme d'habitude"/"My Way," adapted the song in French as "Prends garde petite fille!" ("Young girl, watch out!")
- Israeli rock band Noar Shulayim recorded a Hebrew-language version called "Layla" ("Night") in 1990.
- Danny Tanner sang this song in an episode of Full House.
- In the episode of Glee titled "Ballad," transmitted on November 18, 2009, the song was used in a mash-up with "Don't Stand So Close to Me" by The Police. The lines: "Young girl, get out of my mind / My love for you is way out of line" were changed to "Young girl, you're out of your mind / Your love for me is way out of line."
- English rapper Plan B makes a reference to the lyrics in his song "Charmaine" on his 2006 album, Who Needs Actions When You Got Words.
- Rice, Jo (1982). The Guinness Book of 500 Number One Hits (1st ed.). Enfield, Middlesex: Guinness Superlatives Ltd. p. 117. ISBN 0-85112-250-7.
- "Song artist 849 - Gary Puckett & The Union Gap". Tsort.info. Retrieved 2014-04-07.
- "Gary Lewis Now! - Gary Lewis & the Playboys | Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards". AllMusic. Retrieved 2014-04-07.
- Bruce Eder. "Frida Ensam - Frida | Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards". AllMusic. Retrieved 2014-04-07.
- "Layla" by Noar Shulayim on YouTube Retrieved January 1, 2012
- Jo-Ann Greene (2006-06-26). "Who Needs Actions When You Got Words - Plan B | Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards". AllMusic. Retrieved 2014-04-07.
"What a Wonderful World" by Louis Armstrong
|UK number one single
22 May 1968 for 4 weeks
"Jumpin' Jack Flash" by Rolling Stones
by The Monkees
|Cash Box Top 100 singles
13 April 1968
by Bobby Goldsboro