Mullen (left), Moakes (right)
|Genres||Post-hardcore, Noise rock|
|Labels||Holy Roar Records, Wichita|
|Associated acts||Bloc Party, The Automatic, yourcodenameis:milo, Brontide, I Was A Cub Scout, La Roux|
|Past members||Will Bowerman|
Young Legionnaire are a British post-hardcore band made up of Paul Mullen (guitarist and singer for The Automatic and formerly yourcodenameis:milo), Gordon Moakes (bassist for Bloc Party), and drummer Dean Pearson. The band's debut album Crisis Works was released through Wichita Recordings on 9 May 2011.
In 2006, Mullen's band at the time, yourcodenameis:milo started a collaborations project called Print Is Dead, the idea being bands would go up to the yourcodenameis:milo studio in Newcastle and spend no longer than one day writing and recording a song for a record. Moakes was among the musicians who took part in the project, recording a track with the band called "Wait A Minute". This started the idea of working together again, although commitments with their other bands had meant that they did not have time to. When yourcodenameis:milo went on hiatus in 2007, Mullen joined The Automatic as a guitarist and vocalist, with Moakes continuing with Bloc Party.
With Bloc Party on hiatus and The Automatic taking some time off in December 2009, Moakes and Mullen convened with drummer William Bowerman. In January 2010, the group were revealed to be named "Young Legionnaire" and they played their first show at the end of January in London. On 16 August 2010, the band released their first single, the double A Side "Colossus/Iron Dream" on both limited edition vinyl and digitally on Holy Roar Records. William Bowerman was replaced with Dean Pearson in 2010 as Bowerman's schedule as touring drummer for La Roux took priority.
It was revealed in early 2011 that the band would be releasing their debut album Crisis Works on 9 May 2011 through Wichita, produced by longtime producer of Mullen's other band, The Automatic, Richard Jackson. Album track "Chapter, Verse" was made available on the band's website as a free download after being premiered on Zane Lowe BBC Radio 1 show. The band were announced also as the support for Les Savy Fav, as well as making appearances at South by Southwest in Austin, Texas.
- Paul Mullen - vocals, guitars (founding member)
- Gordon Moakes - bass, vocals (founding member)
- Dean Pearson - drums (since 2010)
- William Bowerman - drums (2009–2010)
- Studio albums
- Crisis Works (9 May 2011)
- Extended plays
- Wreckonomics (12 March 2012)
- Colossus/Iron Dream (16 August 2010)
- Chapter, Verse (8 March 2011)
- Numbers (2 May 2011)
- Bloc Party man's Young Legionnaire album out in May NME, 15 February 2011
- Oatesi, Raegan (2011-02-16). "YOUNG LEGIONNAIRE set to release debut full-length album ‘Crisis Works’ on May 9th 2011". From Dawn 2 Dusk Magazine (http://fd2d.com/). Retrieved 2011-02-23.
- 3 days recording with an exciting new side project starting tomorrow with @paulmullen and Gordon Moakes william bowerman, Twitter, 13 December 2009