Young Presidents' Organization
The Young Presidents’ Organization (YPO) is a global network of young chief executives. With approximately 21,000 members in more than 125 countries. YPO aims to provide members with increased opportunities for success in the global marketplace by assisting them to form partnerships with other members all over the world.
YPO was founded in 1950 near New York City by manufacturer Ray Hickok, who was 27 years old when he became the head of his family’s 300-employee company. The first meeting was held at the Waldorf Astoria and was attended by General Robert Johnson (Johnson & Johnson). Hickok and a small group of young presidents in the area began meeting regularly to share and learn from each other. This founding principle of education and idea exchange among peers still guides the organization today.
- The first non-U.S. chapter was created in 1956 in Ontario, Canada.
- The first YPO University was held in Miami Beach, Florida.
- YPO merged with its graduate organization, World Presidents Organization (WPO), in 2007 to become the world's largest global network of business leaders.
- The YPO Global Pulse survey launched in 2009 and is a quarterly economic confidence index that shares business insights from CEOs around the globe
- In 2010, Jill Belconis became the first woman elected to serve as YPO-WPO International Chairman.
- YPO formed an exclusive editorial partnership with CNBC since 2012. Members are part of a CNBC-YPO Chief Executive Network.
As of 2013, there are more than 400 chapters worldwide and 21,000 members. YPO members participate in monthly activities with their chapter with each chapter consisting of 35 to 100 members.
- U.A.P./ United Auto Parts Gerard Plourde
- Laura Scheb
- Charles R. Schwab
- Bob Galvin
- Scott Cook
- Dave Dorman
- Bob Sager
- Herbert Hoover
- Christie Hefner
- Ronnie Lott
- Leonard Lauder
Pat McNees, YPO: The First 50 Years. (Orange Frazer Press, 1999). ISBN 978-1-882203-59-8
- "The Best Organizations for Entrepreneurs".
- "The secret life of Young Presidents".
- Hopkins, Mark. "Shortcut to prosperity: 10 entrepreneurial habits and a roadmap for an exceptional career". Greenleaf Book Group Press, 2013, pg 98.
- "The Elite Secrets: Young Presidents' Organization".
- Ansberry, Clare (2010-03-02). "Companies Map Their Routes to Recovery - WSJ.com". Online.wsj.com. Retrieved 2013-12-22.
- "U.S. CEO Expectations". CNBC. Retrieved 2013-12-22.
- "Russian Rates Cut Again". CNBC. Retrieved 2013-12-22.
- "YPO & CNBC Enter Exclusive Editorial Partnership". Cnbc.com. 2012-02-28. Retrieved 2013-12-22.
- http://www.ypo.org YPO
- "Not So Lonely at the Top".