|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2014)|
|Origin||Louisville, Kentucky, United States|
|Genres||Indie rock, noise rock, post-hardcore |
|Labels||Temporary Residence, Jade Tree|
|Associated acts||Breather Resist|
|Past members||Geoff Paton|
Young Widows is an American band from Louisville, Kentucky. They have released four full-length albums and seven split EPs.
Louisville, Kentucky's Young Widows formed in 2006 from the ashes of mathcore group Breather Resist. In December 2005, lead singer Steve Sidoni left Breather Resist, and guitarist Evan Patterson and bassist Nick Thieneman assumed the vocal duties. They entered the studio in early 2006 but found that their sound had changed significantly. They then changed the name from Breather Resist to Young Widows.
Preceded by a split 7" with Coliseum, their debut full length titled Settle Down City was released in September 2006 on Jade Tree Records. Citing a lack of interest from Jade Tree, the band later moved to Temporary Residence Limited where they released their second album Old Wounds in September 2008. In late 2008 and early 2009, a series of four split 7"s were released featuring Young Widows and a different band for every split. These were all released by Temporary Residence, and when put together the covers form one 14x14" picture. Original drummer Geoff Paton was replaced by Jeremy McMonigle in 2008. They have toured with bands such as Pelican, Russian Circles, These Arms Are Snakes, Thursday, The Fall of Troy, La Dispute and Daughters.
Their third album, In and Out of Youth and Lightness was released by Temporary Residence in April 2011 and sees the band taking their sound in a quieter noise rock and gothic rock-influenced direction.
- Evan Patterson – guitar and vocals (2006–present)
- Nick Thieneman – bass and vocals (2006–present)
- Jeremy McMonigle – drums (2008–present)
- Geoff Paton – drums (2006–2008)
- Settle Down City (2006, Jade Tree)
- Old Wounds (2008, Temporary Residence)
- In and Out of Youth and Lightness (2011, Temporary Residence)
- Easy Pain (2014, Temporary Residence)
- Coliseum / Young Widows (split with Coliseum) (2006, Auxiliary Records)
- Young Widows / Plows (split with Plows) (2007, Auxiliary Records)
- Split Series Vol. 1 (split with Bonnie 'Prince' Billy) (2009, Temporary Residence)
- Split Series Vol. 2 (split with Melt-Banana) (2009, Temporary Residence)
- Split Series Vol. 3 (split with Pelican) (2009, Temporary Residence)
- Split Series Vol. 4 (split with My Disco) (2009, Temporary Residence)
- Helms Alee / Young Widows (split with Helms Alee) (2014, Sargent House)
- "Future Heart" b/w "Rose Window" (2011, Temporary Residence)
- "The Money" b/w "In My Living Room" (2014, Temporary Residence)
- Live Radio Performance April 6, 2009 (2010, Robotic Empire)
- "Dumb" (originally by Nirvana; tribute album In Utero, in Tribute, in Entirety) (2014, Robotic Empire)
- "Old Skin" (2008)
- "Future Heart" (2011)
- "Young Widows". Punknews.org. Retrieved 2014-07-11.
- [dead link]
- Adams, Gregory (February 12, 2014). "Young Widows Return with 'Easy Pain,' Premiere New Single". Exclaim!. Retrieved February 14, 2014.