Your Love (The Outfield song)
|Single by The Outfield|
|from the album Play Deep|
|Released||February 14, 1986|
|The Outfield singles chronology|
"Your Love" is a song from The Outfield's debut album, Play Deep. It was written by John Spinks, the band's keyboardist/guitarist and songwriter. Despite The Outfield being British, the song was a hit only in the United States. In the US it reached #6 on the Billboard Hot 100 and #7 on the Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks chart in 1986. Ralph Garman mimed part of the song on Hollywood Babble-On the podcast.
"Your Love" is sung from the point of view of a man who tries to convince a female acquaintance to have an intimate night with him while his younger girlfriend, Josie, is away on vacation.
Cover versions of "Your Love" have been recorded by the following artists:
- Ska/punk band Less than Jake, on their 2002 album Goodbye Blue & White
- Queercore group The Butchies, as a slow ballad on their 2004 album Make Yr Life.
- Wyclef Jean featuring Eve, as a reggae mix on the 2004 soundtrack to Adam Sandler's 50 First Dates.
- Eurodance group Dalimas on their 2005 album Dreams
- The Punk Goes... series includes two covers of the song: one by Midtown on Punk Goes 80's and another by I See Stars on Punk Goes Classic Rock.
- Emma Burgess on her 2006 album Swim; this version appeared on the ABC Family show Wildfire in February 2008.
- Katy Perry on the 2007 CD single for "Ur So Gay". The title was changed to "Use Your Love" and a few of the lyrics were altered.
- The Rescues on their album Crazy Ever After (2008).
- Melodic hardcore band A Wilhelm Scream, on the Australian release of their 2009 eponymous EP.
- In 2013, American DJ Morgan Page released an electro-inspired version of the song, featuring newly rerecorded vocals by The Outfield.
- Shane Harper on album "Dancin in the Rain" 2013.
Another cover of this song exists by German Eurodance group Topmodelz, released in 2007. Another cover has been done by Burn Your Wishes featuring Killswitch Engage's current guitarist Adam Dutkiewicz and Ken Susi, the current guitarist for Unearth. It has also been covered by Coheed & Cambria front-man Claudio Sanchez on his side-project The Prize Fighter Inferno.
An acoustic version was recorded in 1992 and is featured on the 80's Hits Stripped compilation.
Bon Iver covered the song in 2009 at the Riverside Theater in Milwaukee. Indie rock band The Decemberists have been performing a cover of the song live since 2005. Canadian alternative country artist Kathleen Edwards has also covered this song in her live shows.
Bruno Mars also covered the song at a New Year's Eve party in 2011 and 2014 as well as on a radio show during an interview.
Sister Hazel is also known to cover "Your Love" at many live shows.
Samples and interpolations
American remixer DJ X of the duo Plummet sampled the single in 2003 under the title "Use Your Love," which was done in a Breakbeat style.
R&B singer Lloyd interpolated the chorus in his song "Lose Your Love", from his 2008 album Lessons in Love. Rapper B.o.B included both a sample and an interpolation of the song in his 2008 song "Use Ur Love", produced by Jim Jonsin.
Rapper Charles Hamilton sampled the song on his song "Theories of Wine".
Soundtrack and sports appearances
The song is featured on the Grand Theft Auto: Vice City soundtrack. It is streamed on the videogame's radio Flash FM. "Your Love" was also heard in the 2009 film Adventureland. The 2014 film Tammy also features the song.
The song has notably been used as a walk-up song by several Major League Baseball players. White Sox infielder Gordon Beckham had the song played before his at-bats, inspiring sing-alongs from the crowd at U.S. Cellular Field, and has been known to take offense with other players using the same song, including Kelly Johnson in 2009. Eric Byrnes also used the song during this period. Later, outfielders Frank Catalanotto and Mark Kotsay used "Your Love" as their at-bat music at Miller Park during their 2009 and 2011 stints (respectively) with the Milwaukee Brewers, where fans would also sing along. In the 2012 season, Twins outfielder Josh Willingham and Nationals catcher Jesús Flores both used the song as their walk-up music, as did Charlie Blackmon of the Colorado Rockies, who used it throughout 2013 as well. Blackmon has continued to use this song throughout the 2014 season.  Willingham has kept the song during the 2013 MLB season.
- YouTube: Bon Iver "Your Love" The Outfield cover (retrieved April 9, 2010)
- You Ain't No Picasso: Decemberists Covers Archive
- "Match the hitter with at-bat music". ESPN.com. Retrieved 19 April 2013.
- Jay Boller (18 April 2012). "Grading the 2012 Twins Walk-Up Music". The Sport Hole. Retrieved 23 April 2012.