Youssef Seddik (philosopher)
|Native name||يوسف صديق|
In 1966, he obtained a master's degree in philosophy and a degree in French literature and civilization. During the next four years, he taught at the French school in Compiègne in 1967 and obtained a DES in Philosophy and a degree in Ancient Greece.
From 1971 to 1977 he taught philosophy in secondary schools in Tunisia and at the University of Paris III: Sorbonne Nouvelle, before becoming director of a publishing company specializing in books for young people between 1984 and 1987. He was also a reporter of the journal La Presse de Tunisie between 1975 and 1983.
Based in Paris in 1988, he obtained a DEA in the Greek language and civilization from the University of Paris III: Sorbonne Nouvelle (1988) and a doctorate at the École des hautes études en sciences sociales (1995). He lectured there and also in modern Islamic philosophy at the Sorbonne from 1995 to 1996.
Seddik has published many books and translations based on Ancient Greece and Islamic heritage, including works related to the Prophet Muhammad, Imam Ali, and the Qur'an. He also attempted to publish a Qur'an in the form of seven volumes of comics, but was halted after objections from the Tunisian religious authorities in 1992.
His book, Nous n'avons jamais lu le Coran , released in September 2004 explores the language and symbols that are present in the Koran. In the book the author begins with the questioning of the politics of Islam and the role of God.
He also directed documentaries including a series of five episodes on Muhammad.
- Brins de chicane. La vie quotidienne à Bagdad au Xe siècle, éd. Actes Sud, Arles, 1999
- Dits de l'imam Ali, éd. Actes Sud, Arles, 2000
- Le Coran : autre lecture, autre traduction, éd. de l'Aube, La Tour d'Aigues, 2002
- Dits du prophète Muhammad, éd. Actes Sud, Arles, 2002
- L'arrivant du soir : cet islam de lumière qui peine à devenir, éd. de l'Aube, La Tour d'Aigues, 2004
- Nous n'avons jamais lu le Coran, éd. de l'Aube, La Tour d'Aigues, 2004
- Qui sont les barbares ? : Itinéraire d'un penseur d'islam, éd. de l'Aube, La Tour d'Aigues, 2007
- (French) Portrait of Youssef Seddik
- (French)"Youssef Seddik". Radio France. Retrieved August 22, 2009.
- (French) "Seddik, Youssef". European Institute of Sciences and Religions. Retrieved August 22, 2009.
- (French)"Brins de chicane. La vie quotidienne à Bagdad au Xe siècle". Ellipse Librairie. Retrieved August 22, 2009.
- (French)"Nous n'avons jamais lu le Coran". livre.fnac.com. Retrieved August 22, 2009.