|Distributed by||Serene Films|
|Directed by||Farajullah Salahshur|
|Starring||Seyyed Hossein Jafari
Amir Hossein Modarres
|Language||English & Persian|
Yousuf-e-Payambar or Joseph, the Prophet is a 2008 Iranian television film directed by Farajullah Salahshur, which tells the story of Prophet Joseph from the Quran and Islamic traditions. It is also set in the historical context of the Amarna period of ancient Egypt. They spend 2,000,000$ for building cities and creating customs.
It was filmed in Persian but has been dubbed into Arabic in Al-Kawthar and there is also another version with English subtitles, which has and is currently being broadcast on IRIB. In Pakistan, there is an Urdu dubbing available of the movie.
Joseph the Prophet received generally positive reviews by Islamic world. The critical consensus is that the film promotes polygamy.
The director's daughter who grew up in a religious family criticized his father‘s work publicly, she believes that promotion of polygamy is planned by in IRIB Islamic Republic. (Iran TV.)
She said, "… we are not monitoring anyone and everyone has his personal interpretation." She added, "I, as an normal audience, without considering my relation with the director, am very worried about the youths of this country and how the religion is defined for them, worried about the future of this generation, religion, morality and the Koran. What should youths choose?"
Salhashur commented, "Polygamy had existed in past religions and theological schools. If for some reasons it has been changed is due to the modern world. The prophets and the Prophet's predecessors had second and third wives. It had been in the past and in many Islamic countries, there is still this culture though some Shiites want to revise it. There was polygamy in the past, I could not ignore the fact to please the feminists, again I emphasize that we do not promote polygamy. It is not our intention we just express a historical document."
Katayoun Riahi an Iranian actress who played Zolaikha has resigned from acting after playing in Joseph the Prophet. She said after experiencing the moral issues such as serenity, tolerance, respect, modesty and hijab she could no longer endure any scene. She added: "I do not want to play anymore and I want to keep the sweetness of what experienced inside me forever."
The film starts with heart trembling recitation of Koran by Karim Mansouri, an Iranian reciter. The recited verse denotes the Prophet Joseph's dream. (Surah Yousuf Verse 4-5)
- Seyyed Hossein Jafari as youthful Joseph
- Mostafa Zamani as elder Joseph
- Elham Hamidi as Asinaat (wife of prophet Joseph)
- Mahmud Pakniyat as Jacob Prophet
- Katayoun Riahi as Zoleikha
- Jafar Dehghan as Potifar
- Abbas Amiri as Akhmahoo
- Jahanbakhsh Soltani as Amul Hutab soom (3rd emperor)
- Rahim Norouzi as Akhan'atoon
- Mahvash Sabrkon as Kari mama
- Parvaneh Masoumi as Mother of Akhan'atoon
- Leila Boloukat as Bano nafritity (wife of Akhan'atoon)
- Amir Hossein Modarres as Binaroos
- Reza Rizavi as Horamhop
- Ali Talibloo as Nanifar Gipta
- Zoheir Yari as elder Binyamin
- Javad Taheri as Malik ibne Zaar
- Kourosh Zarei as elder lavi
- Esmail Soltanian
- Mohammad Ali Soleymantash
- Esrafil Alamdari
- Reza Agharabi
- Ardalan Shoja Kaveh
- Sirous Kahavari Nejad
- Ali Yaghoub Zadeh
- Davoud Sheikh
- Fereshteh Sarabandi
- Zahra Saeidi
- Nasrin Nakisa
- Ala Mohseni
- Mohammad Ahmadi
- Mojtaba Bitarafan
- Naser Forough
- Ali Yekanian
- Jamshid Safari
- Soudabeh Alipour
- Mitra Khajeian
- Zahra Mortazavi
- Saeideh Arab
- Bita Samari
- Mohammad Ghasem Poursattar
- Parviz Fallahipour
- Sirous Asnaghi
- Monouchehr Behrouj
- Sayyed Mohammad Taghi Rafaghi
- Hamid, Naqib (January 30, 2013). "ANALYSIS: Sanctity and sensitivity". Daily Times. Retrieved 22 February 2013.
- Salahshur's daughter: "Polygamy promotion is planned in TV." Association of Iranian Women magazine. Revised on May 15, 2009.
- "Network of Iran - the Prophet Joseph is not made to advertise Ahmadinejad." Institute of press. Revised on May 15, 2009.