|Distributed by||Serene Films|
|Directed by||Farajullah Salahshur|
|Starring||Seyyed Hossein Jafari
Ardalan Shoja Kaveh
|Country||Islamic Republic of Iran|
|Language||English & Persian|
Yousuf-e-Payambar or Joseph the Prophet is a 2008 Iranian television TV series directed by Farajullah Salahshur, which tells the story of Prophet Joseph from the Quran and Islamic traditions. It is also set in the historical context of the Amarna period of ancient Egypt. They spend 2,000,000$ for building cities and creating customs.
It was filmed in Persian but has been dubbed into Arabic in Al-Kawthar and there is also another version with English subtitles, which has and is currently being broadcast on IRIB. In Pakistan, there is an Urdu dubbing available of this TV series.
Joseph the Prophet received generally positive reviews by Islamic world. The critical consensus is that the film promotes polygamy.
She said, "… we are not monitoring anyone and everyone has his personal interpretation." She added, "I, as an normal audience, without considering my relation with the director, am very worried about the youths of this country and how the religion is defined for them, worried about the future of this generation, religion, morality and the Koran. What should youths choose?"
Salhashur commented, "Polygamy had existed in past religions and theological schools. If for some reasons it has been changed is due to the modern world. The prophets and the Prophet's predecessors had second and third wives. It had been in the past and in many Islamic countries, there is still this culture though some Shiites want to revise it. There was polygamy in the past, I could not ignore the fact to please the feminists, again I emphasize that we do not promote polygamy. It is not our intention we just express a historical document."
Katayoun Riahi an Iranian actress who played Potiphar's wife has resigned from acting after playing in this TV series. She said after experiencing the moral issues such as serenity, tolerance, respect and modesty, she could no longer endure any scene. She added: "I do not want to play anymore and I want to keep the sweetness of what experienced inside me forever."
The film starts with heart trembling recitation of Koran by Karim Mansouri, an Iranian Koran reciter. The recited verse denotes the Prophet Joseph's dream in the verse 4-5 of chapter of Joseph in Koran.
- Ardalan Shoja Kaveh as Angel Gabriel
- Seyyed Hossein Jafari as youthful Joseph
- Mostafa Zamani as elder Joseph
- Mahmoud Pakniyat as Jacob (father of Joseph)
- Fereshteh Sarabandi as Leah (mother of Joseph & wife of Jacob)
- Elham Hamidi as Asenath (wife of Prophet Joseph)
- Katayoun Riahi as Potiphar's wife
- Jafar Dehghan as Potiphar
- Zoheir Yari as elder Benjamin (son of Jacob)
- Kourosh Zarei as elder Levi (son of Jacob)
- Davoud Sheikh as Judah (son of Jacob)
- Jahanbakhsh Soltani as Amenhotep III
- Rahim Noroozi as Akhenaten (son and successor of Amenhotep III)
- Parvaneh Masoumi as Tiye (mother of Akhenaten)
- Leila Boloukat as Nefertiti (wife of Akhenaten)
- Mahvash Sabrkon as Kari mama (maid of Potiphar's wife)
- Abbas Amiri as Priest Akhmahoo
- Amir Hossein Modarres as Binaroos
- Reza Razavi as Horamhop
- Ali Talibloo as Nanifar Gipta
- Javad Taheri as Malik ibne Zaar
- Esmail Soltanian as Priest Kimini
- Mohammad Ali Soleymantash
- Esrafil Alamdari as commander Rodemon
- Reza Agharabi as Priest's commander Padiyamon
- Sirous Kahavari Nejad as Mimisabu
- Ali Yaghoub Zadeh
- Zahra Saeidi as Prophet Joseph's aunt
- Nasrin Nakisa
- Ala Mohseni
- Mohammad Ahmadi
- Mojtaba Bitarafan
- Naser Forough
- Ali Yekanian
- Jamshid Safari
- Soudabeh Alipour
- Mitra Khajeian
- Zahra Mortazavi
- Saeideh Arab
- Bita Samari
- Mohammad Ghasem Poursattar
- Parviz Fallahipour
- Sirous Asnaghi
- Monouchehr Behrouj
- Sayyed Mohammad Taghi Rafaghi
- Hamid, Naqib (January 30, 2013). "ANALYSIS: Sanctity and sensitivity". Daily Times. Retrieved 22 February 2013.
- Salahshur's daughter: "Polygamy promotion is planned in TV." Association of Iranian Women magazine. Revised on May 15, 2009.
- "Network of Iran - the Prophet Joseph is not made to advertise Ahmadinejad." Institute of press. Revised on May 15, 2009.