|Distributed by||Serene Films|
|Directed by||Farajollah Salahshoor|
|Starring||Seyyed Hossein Jafari
|Country||Islamic Republic of Iran|
Yousuf-e-Payambar or Joseph the Prophet is a 2008 Iranian television TV series directed by Farajollah Salahshour, which tells the story of Prophet Joseph from the Quran and Islamic traditions. It is also set in the historical context of the Amarna period of ancient Egypt. They spend 2,000,000$ for building cities and creating customs.
It was filmed in Persian but has been dubbed into Arabic in Al-Kawthar and there is also another version with English subtitles, which has and is currently being broadcast on IRIB. In Pakistan, there is an Urdu dubbing available of this TV series.
Joseph the Prophet received generally positive reviews by Islamic world. The critical consensus is that the film promotes polygamy.
She said, "… we are not monitoring anyone and everyone has his personal interpretation." She added, "I, as an normal audience, without considering my relation with the director, am very worried about the youths of this country and how the religion is defined for them, worried about the future of this generation, religion, morality and the Koran. What should youths choose?"
Salhashur commented, "Polygamy had existed in past religions and theological schools. If for some reasons it has been changed is due to the modern world. The prophets and the Prophet's predecessors had second and third wives. It had been in the past and in many Islamic countries, there is still this culture though some Shiites want to revise it. There was polygamy in the past, I could not ignore the fact to please the feminists, again I emphasize that we do not promote polygamy. It is not our intention we just express a historical document."
Katayoun Riahi an Iranian actress who played Potiphar's wife has resigned from acting after playing in this TV series. She said after experiencing the moral issues such as serenity, tolerance, respect and modesty, she could no longer endure any scene. She added: "I do not want to play anymore and I want to keep the sweetness of what experienced inside me forever."
The film starts with heart trembling recitation of Koran by Karim Mansouri, an Iranian Koran reciter. The recited verse denotes the Prophet Joseph's dream in the verse 4-5 of chapter of Joseph in Koran.
- Seyyed Hossein Jafari as Youthful Joseph
- Mostafa Zamani as Joseph
- Mahmoud Pakniyat as Jacob ibn Isaac
- Elham Hamidi as Asenath (wife of Prophet Joseph)
- Katayoun Riahi as Zuleika
- Jafar Dehghan as Potiphar
- Zoheir Yari as elder Benjamin
- Kourosh Zarei as Levi
- Davoud Sheikh as Judah
- Jahanbakhsh Soltani as Amenhotep III
- Rahim Noroozi as Akhenaten
- Parvaneh Masoumi as Tiye
- Leila Boloukat as Nefertiti
- Mahvash Sabrkan as Karimama
- Abbas Amiri as Priest Anikh Mahoo
- Amir Hossein Modares as Inaroos
- Reza Razavi as Horanhop
- Ali Talibloo as Honipher
- Javad Taheri as Malik ibn Zaar
- Esmail Soltanian as Kimoni
- Mohammad Ali Soleymantash as Apoupis
- Esrafil Alamdari as Rodemon
- Reza Agharabi as Padiyamon
- Ardalan Shoja Kaveh as Angel Gabriel
- Sirous Kahvari Nejad as Milisavoo
- Ali Yaghoub Zadeh as Houya
- Fereshteh Sarabandi as Leah bint Laban
- Zahra Saeedi as Faeeqah bint Isaac
- Nasrin Nakisa as Dinah bint Jacob
- Ala Mohseni as Ninifer Kibta
- Mohammad Ahmadi as jailing
- Mojtaba Bitarafan as Soufar
- Naser Forough as Khofoo
- Ali Bekaeeian as Apouki
- Jamshid Safari as Bali
- Soudabeh Alipour as Bilhah
- Mitra Khavajeh Nian as Zilpah
- Zahra Mortazavi as Tama
- Saedeh Arab as Leah
- Bita Samari as Thiamini
- Mohammad Ghasem Poursattar as Prophet Khidr (a.s.)
- Parviz Fallahi Pour as Kidamen
- Sirous Asnaghi as prison guard
- Monouchehr Behrouj as Bintoo
- Seyyed Mohammad Taghi Rafaghi as advisor Akhenaten
- Farajollah Salahshour
- Sogol Tahmasebi
- Shahrbanoo Mousavi
- Shabnam Moghadami
- Maryam Vahshi
- Hamid, Naqib (January 30, 2013). "ANALYSIS: Sanctity and sensitivity". Daily Times. Retrieved 22 February 2013.
- Salahshur's daughter: "Polygamy promotion is planned in TV." Association of Iranian Women magazine. Revised on May 15, 2009.
- "Network of Iran - the Prophet Joseph is not made to advertise Ahmadinejad." Institute of press. Revised on May 15, 2009.