Youth is a category of athletics in which athletes compete under the age of 18 years.
Description and development
The problems of adolescence in modern times are of various kinds, ranging from obesity to depression, so the practice of sport is important, in particular it to introduce young people to practice athletics and furthermore prevent these problems through the many benefits that sports have for kids. Athletics for adolescents can provide a way to learn various significant life skills in a fun and enjoyable manner. Skills they can learn through participation in sports include teamwork, leadership, responsibility, discipline, and communication. Sport for social development is a way in which sports can have a positive impact on youth. Young athletes can utilize these valuable skills for the rest of their lives. Once young athletes become more experienced in sports, they often desire to play at a more serious level. More serious levels of athletics are accomplished by travel sports teams that young athletes have to try out for to make. These travel sports teams compete against other teams of similar talent levels. Travel sports leagues for kids show a more competitive aspect to youth athletics. Participate in the competitions in this class, athletes who have not completed their eighteenth birthday on 31 December of the Competicion. The IAAF provides a youth development program of athletics, named Youth Programme.
Games and championships
- IAAF World Youth Championships in Athletics, organized by the IAAF every 2 years
- Youth Olympic Games
- Asian Youth Games
- Commonwealth Youth Games
- European Youth Olympic Festival
- Australian Youth Olympic Festival
- International Association of Athletics Federations
- European Athletic Association
- Gender in youth sports
- List of world youth bests in athletics
- Junior (athletics)
- "Athletics & Youth". lotsofessays.com. 19 September 2011.
- Cohn, Ph.D., Patrick. "Five Benefits for Kids Who Participate in Sports". Peak Performance Sports. Retrieved 10 October 2012.
- "Basic Information Guide – 2011 IAAF". iaaf.org. 18 September 2011.
- "Kids Athletics Introduction". iaaf.org. 19 September 2011.
Media related to Youth sports at Wikimedia Commons