First volume of Yowamushi Pedal, featuring the main protagonist Sakamichi Onoda
|Genre||Sports (Road bicycle racing), comedy-drama|
|Written by||Wataru Watanabe|
|Published by||Akita Shoten|
|Magazine||Weekly Shōnen Champion|
|Original run||February 21, 2008 – ongoing|
|Original video animation|
|Directed by||Osamu Nabeshima|
|Written by||Reiko Yoshida|
|Music by||Kan Sawada|
|Released||August 8, 2013|
|Anime television series|
|Directed by||Osamu Nabeshima|
|Written by||Reiko Yoshida|
|Music by||Kan Sawada|
|Network||TV Tokyo, TVh, TVO, TSC, TVA, TVQ, AT-X|
|Original run||October 7, 2013 – ongoing|
Yowamushi Pedal (弱虫ペダル?) is a Japanese manga series written and illustrated by Wataru Watanabe. It is published by Akita Shoten and began its serialization in 2008's 12th issue of the Weekly Shōnen Champion magazine. As of January 2014, there have been 32 compiled volumes published. An anime DVD was released bundled with the 29th volume, released on August 8, 2013, and anime television series adaptation began airing on October 7, 2013.
Sakamichi Onoda is an otaku, an anime obsessive, who has just entered high school and plans to join the anime club. In middle school Onoda did not have any friends with whom he could talk about anime, games, Akihabara and other otaku things and is hoping he can make such friends in the anime club, but he finds out it has been disbanded. In order to reestablish the club he tries to find 4 other people who would like to join.
Since he was a little boy, Onoda has ridden his mamachari ("City Bike" AKA "Mommy Bike" in the anime) – a bulky bicycle with a step-through frame mainly used for short rides, such as for casual fun, to pick up groceries or to go to Akihabara every week to check out or buy otaku things. His fellow freshman, Shunsuke Imaizumi, a cyclist, while training, notices Onoda riding his mamachari up a steep road.
Shōkichi Naruko, visit Akihabara to get some Gundam plastic models for his younger brothers and he meets Onoda, who caught his attention because of the his cycling skill on the mamachari and later finds out they go to the same school. Later on, both Naruko and Imaizumi try to convince him to join the bicycle racing club, but will he?
- Sakamichi Onoda (小野田 坂道 Onoda Sakamichi?)
- Voiced by: Daiki Yamashita
- Onoda is the protagonist of the series and a high school freshman. He is a member of the Souhoku High Bicycle Club and a climbing specialist. He is also evidently an anime otaku. He is quite shy and has a hard time speaking up for himself, but ever since meeting Shunsuke Imaizumi, his courage has been growing and has stepped into the world of bicycles. Although he does not have a lot of stamina, he is capable of riding with extremely high cadences even when climbing uphill. He is a natural climber and a fast learner who was able to learn the dancing technique in a very short period of time. To help him in his climbing, the team captain Kinjo assigned Makishima to mentor him in climbing who tells him to follow his own style when learning cycling. During the training camp, Kinjo switched his tires with an older pair to build his stamina and figure out how to use his gearshift. He also didn't tell him he gave him this handicap ostensibly in order to test him and see if he could figure out his bike on his own though perhaps so that Makishima would feel compelled to enlighten him and bond with the fellow climber.
- Shunsuke Imaizumi (今泉 俊輔 Imaizumi Shunsuke?)
- Voiced by: Kōsuke Toriumi
- Imaizumi is a high school freshman and a member of the Souhoku High Bicycle Club. He is an all-rounder and a logical thinker. His current dream is to become the fastest cyclist in the world. He has a fierce rivalry with Naruko, because of his Sprinting abilities and his overall attitude, and sets his goal on Kinjo, who he currently sees as his biggest obstacle as Kinjo uses this as his mentor to push Imaizumi. He treats Onoda more friendlier than his other teammates as he sees his potential and wants to see where Onoda's cycling career takes him. In the training camp, Kinjo took away his gearshift so he would have to rely more on his physical abilities than his technical skills and understanding.
- Shōkichi Naruko (鳴子 章吉 Naruko Shōkichi?)
- Voiced by: Jun Fukushima
- Naruko is a high school freshman and a member of the Souhoku High Bicycle Club. He is a sprinter cyclist from Osaka. Naruko is seen most commonly with bright red hair, along with a biking outfit. He has sharp, red eyes; not only that, he has a red, black and white jacket. He is also often seen in a tiger T-shirt. As a sprinter, he has a competitive nature, which he always gets upset when him and Imaizumi are locked in a race and he sees that Imaizumi beats him. He also gets this way with his mentor, Tadakoro, who he often tries to beat in sprinting. And on campus he's like a brother-figure to Onoda. Which he tends to tag along most, if not all the time ever since he saw Onoda's skills improve as a cyclist. In the training camp, Kinjo replaced his handles with the standard horizontal bar to limit his sprinting.
- Shingo Kinjō (金城 真護 Kinjō Shingo?)
- Voiced by: Hiroki Yasumoto
- Captain of the Bicycle Club, Always wearing Sunglasses. 3rd year and an All-Rounder. Ace of the Club. While he appears to have a cold outlook on cycling, Kinjo always thinks of his team and their potential first. He always seeks to challenge his team in order to bring out their best. He especially wants to bring out Imaizumi's potential and skill as his mentor, he especially pushes Imaizumi to defeat him knowing his competitive personality would motivate him more than he would himself.
- Yūsuke Makishima (巻島 裕介 Makishima Yūsuke?)
- Voiced by: Showtaro Morikubo
- 3rd Year student of Souhoku High Bicycle Club. Makishima has long, green hair with red highlights. He has two moles on his face; one is under his left eye and the other is by his lower lip. Toudou thinks that when Makishima smiles, it is creepy and scary. He is also known the Peak Spider due to his unusual dancing technique on the bike. When Onoda, who he is mentoring in climbing, tries to copy this, he tells him that following your own style is much more important than to imitate a style that is uncomfortable.
- Jin Tadokoro (田所 迅 Tadokoro Jin?)
- Voiced by: Kentarō Itō
- 3rd Year student of the Club. A rather large man with a hearty appetite. Despite his size, his is a Sprinter. He is affectionately called Old Man by Naruko, who he is mentoring. He also mentors Teshima and Aoyagi after seeing how much they've had to struggle during their first year.
- Sangaku Manami (真波 山岳 Manami Sangaku?)
- Voiced by: Tsubasa Yonaga
- A first-year student of Hakone Academy Bicycle Club, Manami has dark blue hair with yellow highlight. He's mostly seen in his school uniform or biking outfit. He is an easy-going guy. Manami also has a habit of being late and easily distracted by mountains. As a climber, he pulls nature to his side by using the wind, to surpass his competitors.
- Jinpachi Tōdō (東堂 尽八 Tōdō Jinpachi?)
- Voiced by: Tetsuya Kakihara
- 3rd year student of Hakone Academy Bicycle Club. He has dark violet hair, along with a head band. Toudou's signature pose is pointing his finger at others. At his first meeting with Makishima, He told him that wearing a head band is ugly. He has a cheerful personality, but can also become serious when climbing the peak. He calls Makishima, "Maki-chan".
- Junta Teshima (手島 純太 Teshima Junta?)
- Voiced by: Daisuke Kishio
- 2nd year student of Souhoku High Bicycle Club and an All-Rounder. Teshima has black hair with perms and is an all-rounder cyclist. He is an outgoing cheerful guy and he is good at blocking. Despite being talent-less cyclist, he works extremely hard with fellow second-year Aoyagi to try to get to the inter-high race using their teamwork. In the training camp, he blew out his legs during the end of the third day in attempting to defeat Naruko, Imaizumi and Onoda and was unable to complete the 1000 km requirement.
- Hajime Aoyagi (青八木 一 Aoyagi Hajime?)
- 2nd year student of Souhoko High Bicycle Club and an All-Rounder. Aoyagi has brown hair which drops down his left eye sometimes. A quiet individual who has a good fast pace. While he considers himself talent-less, he works with Teshima and devises a plan to make it to the inter-high race together. In a sprint to defeat Naruko, Imaizumi and Onoda, he blew out his leg forcing him to retire from completing the 1000 km requirement in the training camp.
- Terufumi Sugimoto (杉元 照文 Sugimoto Terufumi?)
- Voiced by: Kōki Miyata
- A first-year student of Souhoku High Bicycle Club, Sugimoto has a heavily parted black hair and a self assured smile. A self-proclaimed experienced cyclist of three years often giving advice to the other 1st years, his actual skills on a bicycle compared to the others are questionable at best though as he doesn't seem to have the pure talent that Naruko and Imaizumi have or the motivation to overcome challenges like Onoda has. He does have a pretty nice and even pace as a cyclist though. He failed to complete the 1000 km requirement of the training camp because he didn't want to cycle in the rain.
Episodes are simulcast with English subs on Crunchyroll under the series name Yowapeda.
|01||"Because I Can Go to Akiba for Free"||October 7, 2013|
|02||"To Recruit More Members"||October 14, 2013|
|03||"I Don't Have Any Friends"||October 21, 2013|
|04||"Naruko Shokichi"||October 28, 2013|
|05||"The Sohaku High School Bicycle Racing Team"||November 4, 2013|
|06||"Welcoming Race"||November 11, 2013|
|07||"I Want to Catch Up!"||November 18, 2013|
|08||"Sprint Climb!!"||November 25, 2013|
|09||"Full Power vs. Full Power"||December 2, 2013|
|10||"Peak Spider"||December 9, 2013|
|11||"Human Bullet Train!!"||December 16, 2013|
|12||"First Day of Camp"||December 23, 2013|
|13||"Imaizumi and Naruko's 1000km"||January 6, 2014|
|14||"Reunion at Dawn"||January 13, 2014|
|15||"Strategy"||January 20, 2014|
|16||"Breakthrough"||January 27, 2014|
|17||"Onoda in Last Place"||February 3, 2014|
|18||"All-Out Battle"||February 10, 2014|
|19||"A New Start"||February 17, 2014|
|20||"Manami Sangaku"||February 24, 2014|
|21||"Snake of the Stone Path"||March 3, 2014|
|22||"The Inter-High Begins"||March 10, 2014|
|23||"Top Sprinter!!"||March 17, 2014|
|24||"Trembling Izumida"||March 24, 2014|
|25||"Loss"||March 31, 2014|
|26||"I Can See The Sky"||April 7, 2014|
|27||"Toudou, God of the Mountains"||April 15, 2014|
- "Noodle Fighter Miki, Train Man Artists Start New Manga". Anime News Network. 2008-01-31. Retrieved 2013-06-14.
- "弱虫ペダル(30) (少年チャンピオン・コミックス)" (in Japanese). Amazon.co.jp. Retrieved 2013-10-18.
- "弱虫ペダル29オリジナルアニメDVD付限定版 (少年チャンピオン・コミックス)" (in Japanese). Amazon.co.jp. Retrieved 2013-10-18.
- "Crunchyroll to Stream Yowamushi Pedal Cycling Anime". Anime News Network. 2013-09-26. Retrieved 2013-10-18.