||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2011)|
|யூகி சேது Yugi Sethu|
|Occupation||Actor, Screenwriter, Director, Writer, Producer, Show Host|
Yuhi Sethu யூகி சேது is a Tamil actor, director and screenwriter. He has appeared in a few films in main and supporting roles and has contributed to films as a screenwriter. Yuhi Sethu had written and directed a less known movie named "Maathangal Aezhu" (meaning Seven Months) in Tamil with actors Nassar and Ramya Krishnan, and himself in the lead in 1991. The movie had a unique song, "Kaadhal enna kaadhal", which can be sung without the lips touching one another. Earlier made his feature film Debut by Producing, writing and Directing a local award winning Tamil movie named "Kavithai Paada Neramillai" (meaning 'There is no time to sing poems') with actors Amala, Nassar, Raghuvaran, Shanawaz, and himself in 1987. He wrote, directed and played the Title role in Doordarshan produced famous tele-film "Jana" in 1989.
- 1 Beginning
- 2 Actor in Cameo Roles
- 3 Unfinished Films of Yuhi Sethu
- 4 Writing Uncredited, but internally acknowledged or Thanks Card Acknowledged
- 5 Lesser Known Works of Yuhi Sethu as a Writer & Director
- 6 Other Distinctions
- 7 Television & Script Writing
- 8 Filmography
- 9 References
He is a native of Oothukaadu, a small town near Kumbakkonam. Sethu stands for Sethuraman and Yuhi is derived from Mathi Yuhi, a popular minister in the ranks of Tenali Raman and Birbal known for his wit and wisdom. He did B.Com and Post Graduated in Political Science. He was more inclined towards Fine Arts. He had in fact learned Mirdhangam at a young age, but soon quit because he didn't want to play second fiddle to anybody.
He is a Gold Medalist in Film Direction (P.G.Diploma at the oldest film school in India, FTIT). His student film, B&W, 35mm, 8 minutes, titled "The Rhetoric of the Continuity", had the distinction of the only Indian film amongst 25 other country entries at the International Film Festival of India, New Delhi in 1984. It has the uniqueness of having Satyajit Ray's music as background score.
Actor in Cameo Roles
- PANCHATHANTHIRAM(2002): Directed by KS Ravikumar, Starring Kamal Hasan, Simran, and Yuhi Sethu as Vedham Iyer, Kamal's friend.
- PAMMAL K. SAMBANDHAM(2002): Directed by Mouli, Starring Kamal Hasan, Simran, Sneha and Yuhi Sethu as himself.
- ANBE SIVAM (2003): A Sunder C film, starring Kamal Hasan, Madhavan, Kiran and Yuhi Sethu as the erudite con man Uthaman, in the very well applauded Cameo role.
- RAMANAA (2002): Directed by A. R. Murugadoss, Starring Vijayakanth,Simran
Unfinished Films of Yuhi Sethu
- DHARMA (1990): Starring: Yuhi Sethu, Aishwariya with Vidya Sagar Music Written & Directed by Yuhi Sethu. 9 songs recorded; 3 songs picturised and after shooting for 7 days, the project was dropped.
- SUPER ROBOT (1989): Produced by G.V.Films & Vaasan Brothers, written by Sujatha & Yuhi Sethu Directed by Yuhi Sethu, project was dropped after script written due to unknown reasons.
- WITHIN WITHOUT (1984):12 minute B&W experimental film starring Nasser,Pratap Pothen and Thangar Bachan. Lost before sound final mix at the Film & TV Institute of Tamil Nadu. Yuhi considers his best work until date, and a style least visited by Indian film-makers; as a student he was then deeply and partly influenced by non-narrative string of related images styles - mixed with humour and self-mockery ; loosely akin to works like Goddard's WEEKEND; Altman's MASH; Kinugasa's GATE OF HELL; Alain Resnais' LAST YEAR AT MARIANBAD; Buñuel, Fellini to lesser known Maya Deren, Margaret Duras, Alain Robbe Grillet and stream of consciousness products
- UNTITLED DOCU-FILM (1984) A 9 min Docu-fiction in B&W was finished and available at the Film & TV Institute of Tamil Nadu,Chennai. Comments: “It reminds me of Alexander Kluge and other great experimental film makers' Style" - David Ray, Australia."The images haunts me even today" Pralayan, Progressive Writers Association.
Writing Uncredited, but internally acknowledged or Thanks Card Acknowledged
- INSAAF KI PUKAAR (1987) in Hindi, the original of Rajni starrer Guru Sishyan – Story uncredited
- AASAI (1995) a Tamil hit of Ajit Kumar produced by Mani Rathnam in Vasanth Direction. Thanks card in Telegu dub version worked on original story and screenplay internally acknowledged.
- NAAN KADAVUL Director Bala’s National Award winning moive. Thanks card for the work on original story discussions
Lesser Known Works of Yuhi Sethu as a Writer & Director
- THE RHETORIC OF THE CONTINUITY A 8 min B&W short fiction film Written & Directed by SETHURAMAN (Yuhi Sethu) as a student film at the Film & TV Institute of Tamil Nadu, Chennai) with unique distinction of music scoring by Sathyajit Ray,Rajiv Menon's camera work, starring Thangar Bachan and Prathap Pothen. AWARDS: Only Indian Fictional Short amongst 45 countries at the International Film Festival of India, New Delhi, 1984.
He has visited the Cannes Film festival several times since 1994 and has imported European films to India. He distributed Shekar Kapur's "Bandit Queen" in Tamil Nadu state.He also trades in Film rights for Satellite TV, Home video, Internet and mobile.He has also acted in Italian Telefilm named Pidgin.
- Yuhi Sethu has acted in the world-renowned Iranian Director Mohsen Makhmalbaf’s, Scream of the Ants (2006) in Persian/English
- Yuhi Sethu has acted in the lead in an Italian-English Telefilm, Pidgi (1995), which won an award at the Nanni Moretti Film Festival in Rome. Regia: Andrea Gropplero, Interpreti: Yuhi Sethu & Anna Scaglione; Fotografia: Gianenrico Bianchi, Montaggio: Daniela Bassani
- Yuhi Sethu was the line producer for the French production of the docu-film Kalaiyur Directed by Sophie Martre
Television & Script Writing
He is also known for his late night talk show - Nayyandi Darbar which was similar to the Johny Carson, David Letterman, or Jay Leno Shows. It ran very successfully in Star group's Vijay TV for about over three years on all weeknights between 1999 and 2002. He wrote the Story for the Tamil box office hit K.S.Ravikumar's "Villain", starring Ajithkumar. Yuhi is currently working on his Ph.D in Film Aesthetics.
He is an academician, a critic, art historian, and is engaged in restoration and preservation of Tamil and other south Indian Vintage movies. He is now involved in ground work for spawning Independent movies in India.
|1987||Kavithai Paada Neramillai||Guna|
|2002||Pammal K. Sambandam||Yuhi Sethu|
|2002||Villan||Best Writer,V4 Awards|
|1984||The Rhetoric of the Continuity||(Short Film), International Film Festival of India , Music : Satyajit Ray|
|1987||Kavithai Paada Neramillai||Special Commendation Award, Film Fans Association|
|1989||Water Flourosis||(Short Film) Produced by : Doordarshan, Chennai|
|1989||Indra Avaz Yojana||(Short Film) Produced by : Doordarshan, Chennai|
- "'Rasigan Express' bus flagged off". The Hindu. June 4, 2011. Retrieved 14 July 2011.
- http://archives.chennaionline.com/interviews/yuhisethu.asp[dead link]