Yuma County, Colorado
|Yuma County, Colorado|
Location in the state of Colorado
Colorado's location in the U.S.
|Founded||March 15, 1889|
|• Total||2,369.10 sq mi (6,136 km2)|
|• Land||2,365.79 sq mi (6,127 km2)|
|• Water||3.30 sq mi (9 km2), 0.14%|
|• Density||4/sq mi (2/km²)|
|Time zone||Mountain: UTC-7/-6|
According to the 2000 census, the county has a total area of 2,369.10 square miles (6,135.9 km2), of which 2,365.79 square miles (6,127.4 km2) (or 99.86%) is land and 3.30 square miles (8.5 km2) (or 0.14%) is water.
The point where the Arikaree River flows out of Yuma County and into Cheyenne County, Kansas is the lowest point in the State of Colorado at 1,010 meters (3,315 feet) elevation. This crossing point holds the distinction of being the highest low point of any U.S. state.
- Phillips County, Colorado - north
- Chase County, Nebraska - northeast
- Cheyenne County, Kansas - east
- Dundy County, Nebraska - east
- Kit Carson County, Colorado - south
- Washington County, Colorado - west
- Logan County, Colorado - northwest
As of the census of 2000, there were 9,841 people, 3,800 households, and 2,644 families residing in the county. The population density was 4 people per square mile (2/km²). There were 4,295 housing units at an average density of 2 per square mile (1/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 94.17% White, 0.11% Black or African American, 0.28% Native American, 0.07% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 4.14% from other races, and 1.21% from two or more races. 12.88% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 3,800 households out of which 33.30% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 59.60% were married couples living together, 6.80% had a female householder with no husband present, and 30.40% were non-families. 27.40% of all households were made up of individuals and 13.30% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.55 and the average family size was 3.13.
In the county the population was spread out with 28.30% under the age of 18, 7.10% from 18 to 24, 26.00% from 25 to 44, 22.30% from 45 to 64, and 16.30% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females there were 96.80 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 94.90 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $33,169, and the median income for a family was $39,814. Males had a median income of $26,124 versus $18,578 for females. The per capita income for the county was $16,005. About 8.80% of families and 12.90% of the population were below the poverty line, including 15.50% of those under age 18 and 10.70% of those age 65 or over.
- Outline of Colorado
- Index of Colorado-related articles
- Colorado counties
- Colorado municipalities
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Yuma County, Colorado
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved February 11, 2014.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "Census 2000 U.S. Gazetteer Files: Counties". United States Census. Retrieved 2011-02-13.
- U.S. Geological Survey. "Elevations and Distances". Retrieved 2006-09-08.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". Census.gov. Retrieved July 16, 2013.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2012". Census.gov. Retrieved July 16, 2013.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Yuma County Government website
- Yuma County farm photos and documentation, from Historic American Buildings Survey
- Colorado County Evolution by Don Stanwyck
- Colorado Historical Society
||Logan County||Phillips County||Chase County, Nebraska|
|Washington County||Dundy County, Nebraska and Cheyenne County, Kansas|
|Kit Carson County|