Yunioshi - from left to right - James Yunioshi san, Rob Yunioshi, Anna Yunioshi Suzuki, and Hakushi Yunioshi san (February 2011) ©Steve Poxson
|Genres||Electro rock, breakbeat|
Anna Yunioshi Suzuki
James Yunioshi san
Hakushi Yunioshi san
Yunioshi are an electro rock band from Nottingham, England, formed in October 2006. They describe their sound as "robot funk". The name Yunioshi came from I.Y. Yunioshi, a character in Truman Capote's Breakfast at Tiffany's.
Their sound has been described as 'the exact place where found sounds and breakbeats merge with left of centre indie pop; all lilting Beck-style rhythms and hummable hooks' (TuneTribe.com) or maybe "Think Beck dry humping the Flaming Lips with the robot from Lost In Space looking on and filming all the action for his own personal collection. The perfect pop band. They're as catchy as hell." (LeftLion Magazine)
- Rob Yunioshi (vocals, guitar, keyboards)
- Anna Suzuki Yunioshi (vocals, keyboards, stylophone and additional instrumentation)
- James Yunioshi san (bass, roland 303)
- Hakushi Yunioshi san (drums, additional percussion).
Other tracks that have been used in advertising include "Thunderbird", which was used to advertise South Park on Comedy Central as well as being used numerous times by Sky Sports and Setanta Sports. "Leisure Rules" was also used as part of Vauxhall Astra campaign.
Yunioshi have been selected by BBC Introducing as a band to look out for. They have recorded sessions at BBC Maida Vale Studios as well as performed on various BBC Introducing festivals stages in the UK. They have appeared live on Tom Robinsons BBC 6Music show as well as further airplay on Steve Lamacq, Huw Stephens and local BBC radio shows. There was even a quiz about us on Stephen Merchants BBC 6music show.
They played the Bloom, Summer Sundae Weekender and Splendour Festivals, during July and August 2009. In 2010 the band played numerous live events in the UK to a growing fan base. Later in the year they went to Reykjavik to play the Iceland Airwaves Festival. Upon their return from Iceland they headlined the Hockley Hustle festival at Nottingham Contemporary.
They provide cake for their audiences at live shows. They refer to the Yunioshi Catering Corporation as the provider of the cake. There is normally a link to the event or venue in some tenuous way.
|EPs||Year Of release|
|Welcome to the 1950s||2007|
|How to survive a robot uprising||2010|
|Singles||Year Of release|
|Compilations||Year Of release|
Television and advertising
- Kia Carens Cube UK TV Campaign (2006/2007) - "Mymo"
- Vauxhall Astra campaign (2007/2008) - "Leisure Rules"
- Setanta Sports - Harry Redknapp Montage (December 2008) - "Thunderbird"
- Comedy Central South Park UK TV Campaign (September 2009) - "Thunderbird"
- "Introducing... Yunioshi". BBC Nottingham. January 2007. Retrieved 2009-07-19.
- "Kia Carens :: Cube". Leap Music. Retrieved 2009-07-19.[dead link]
- Durrani, Arif (20 December 2006). "Kia to run new ad campaign". mad.co.uk. Retrieved 2009-07-19.
- "Splendour: Local bands take to stage as festival kicks off Sunday,". Nottingham Evening Post. 19 July 2009. Retrieved 2009-07-19.
- "Yunioshi". eFestivals. Retrieved 2009-07-19.
- "Myspace blog post "OUR TRACK USED ON SOUTH PARK ADS!"". myspace.com. Retrieved 2009-10-31.
- Steve Lamacq, In New Music We Trust, February 2008, BBC Radio 1
- The Beat, BBC Radio Nottingham, 5 April 2008