Yunnan lar gibbon
|Yunnan lar gibbon|
|Subspecies:||H. l. yunnanensis|
|Hylobates lar yunnanensis
Ma & Wang, 1986
The Yunnan lar gibbon (Hylobates lar yunnanensis), also known as the Yunnan white-handed gibbon, is a subspecies of the lar gibbon, a primate in the Hylobatidae or gibbon family. This Chinese subspecies is thought to be extinct.
The Nangunhe Nature Reserve in Southwest Yunnan has been the last stronghold of the Yunnan lar gibbon. During a survey from 4 to 18 November 2007, no evidence of the survival of the Yunnan lar gibbon could be found and the scientists of this survey tentatively concluded the lar gibbon has become extinct in China, and globally. The 2008 IUCN Red List of Threatened Species has listed this subspecies as Data Deficient "as its taxonomic and geographic limits are not well defined, but population sizes are by all accounts critical, and the remaining populations are near extinction."
- Brockelman, W. & Geissmann, T. (2008). Hylobates lar ssp. yunnanensis. In: IUCN 2008. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Retrieved 24 August 2009.
- "Weisshandgibbons in China ausgestorben" (Press release). University of Zurich. 2008-05-15. Retrieved 2008-05-19.
- Grueter et al. (2009). Are Hylobates lar Extirpated from China? International Journal of Primatology, 30:553–567 (online pdf)
- Brandon-Jones, D., Eudey, A. A., Geissmann, T., Groves, C. P., Melnick, D. J., Morales, J. C., et al. (2004). Asian primate classification. International Journal of Primatology, 25, 97–164.
- Geissmann, T. (2007). Status reassessment of the gibbons: results of the Asian Primate Red List Workshop 2006. Gibbon Journal, 3, 5–15.
- Ma, S., & Wang, Y. (1986). The taxonomy and distribution of the gibbons in southern China and its adjacent region – with description of three new subspecies. Zoological Research, 7, 393–410. (Chinese text, English summary).
- Ma, S. L., Wang, Y. X., & Poirier, F. E. (1988). Taxonomy, distribution and status of gibbons (Hylobates) in southern China and adjacent areas. Primates, 29, 277–286.
- ARKive - images and movies of the white-handed gibbon (Hylobates lar)
- Gibbon Conservation Center
- Thomas Geissmann's Gibbon Research Lab and Gibbon Network