Yuri Pavlovich Yukechev (Russian: Ю́рий Па́влович Юке́чев, Yuriy Pavlovič Yukečev) (born January 1, 1947) is a Russian composer and music teacher. He is an Honoured Art Worker of the Russian Federation.
Yuri Yukechev was born in 1947 in Mukachevo, Ukraine. In 1965-1970 he studied composition at the St. Petersburg (Leningrad) Conservatoire with the famous in Russia teacher Orest Yevlakhov (pupil of Dmitri Shostakovich). Since 1970 he has been living and working in Novosibirsk where he is a professor of composition at the Novosibirsk State Conservatoire. Since 1996 he also holds a post of the chairman of Siberian Branch of Russian Composers Union.
Yuri Yukechev is an author of more than 300 works. There are three directions predominate in his music:
- Classical genres of chamber instrumental and choral music
- Improvisation music with a strong influence of free and avant-garde jazz
- Electronic music including audio-visual installations
As a teacher of composition Yuri Yukechev has taught many composers, musicologists, music teachers and other musicians currently working throughout Russia and abroad.
«Siberian 4», Leo Records, UK
«Untitled», Leo Records, UK
«Document (Russia Jazz-80)», Leo Records, UK
«My Heart Is Ready», Hellicon Classics, USA
- Russell, K.F. (1995). "Unknown Title". Rhythm Music Magazine (Google Books). Retrieved 15 June 2013.
- JAMES R. OESTREICH, "In Performance", New York Times, May 29, 1995, http://www.nytimes.com/1995/05/29/arts/in-performance-classical-music-175895.html