I Couldn’t Become a Hero, So I Reluctantly Decided to Get a Job.
|This article is outdated. (November 2013)|
|I Couldn’t Become a Hero, So I Reluctantly Decided to Get a Job.|
Cover of the first light novel volume.
(Yūsha ni Narenakatta Ore wa Shibushibu Shūshoku o Ketsui Shimashita.)
|Written by||Jun Sakyou|
|Illustrated by||Masaki Inuzumi|
|Published by||Fujimi Shobo|
|Imprint||Fujimi Fantasia Bunko|
|Original run||January 20, 2012 – ongoing|
|Written by||Misaki Mori|
|Published by||Fujimi Shobo|
|Original run||February 9, 2013 – ongoing|
|Written by||Gao Yuzuki|
|Published by||Square Enix|
|Original run||May 2, 2013 – ongoing|
|Anime television series|
|Directed by||Kinji Yoshimoto|
|Written by||Masashi Suzuki|
|Music by||Masaru Yokoyama|
|Network||Tokyo MX, AT-X|
|Original run||October 4, 2013 – December 20, 2013|
|Episodes||12 + OVA|
I Couldn’t Become a Hero, So I Reluctantly Decided to Get a Job. (勇者になれなかった俺はしぶしぶ就職を決意しました。 Yūsha ni Narenakatta Ore wa Shibushibu Shūshoku o Ketsui Shimashita.?, lit. "I, Who Didn't Become a Hero, Reluctantly Decided to Find a Job.") also known in its short form as Yu-Sibu is a Japanese light novel series written by Jun Sakyou and illustrated by Masaki Inuzumi. The series was awarded Gold in the 23rd Fantasia Awards. An anime adaptation by Asread began airing on October 4, 2013.
The story revolves around a young man named Raul Chaser who dreamed of becoming a hero with his team of skilled heroes-in-training, but due to the collapse of the Demon Empire, the Hero Program was suspended. With Raul's dream crushed, he was forced to find a new line of work and ended up employed at a small department store called Magic Shop Leon. Raul's life since then has been busy but dull, when one day someone arrives at the store applying for a job. Raul finds out that the new hire is the Demon Lord's child and also happens to be a cute girl.
- Raul Chaser (ラウル・チェイサー Rauru Cheisā?)
- Voiced by: Keisuke Kōmoto
- Raul is the main character of the story, and a former Hero candidate at the Hero School. He had to find a job after the Demon Lord was defeated and he couldn't become a Hero. At first he meets a Demon Lord's daughter who is in search of a job, and he mistakes her for a boy. He is often annoyed by her but at the end of the day is glad that she is around and likes her positive enthusiasm.
- Fino Bloodstone (フィノ・ブラッドストーン Fino Buraddosutōn?)
- Voiced by: Azusa Tadokoro
- Fino is the daughter of the deceased Demon Lord. She lacks common sense due to living in the Demon World and is really carefree. She is very positive and very funny. She involuntarily tends to scare off many customers because of her weird way of speaking about violent things when discussing products with them. She might be harboring some feelings for Raul.
- Airi Ortinet (アイリ・オルティネート Airi Orutinēto?)
- Voiced by: Kanae Iwasaki
- Raul's self-proclaimed former rival from Hero School. After she couldn't become a Hero either, she started working as bunnygirl in the shop that's rivals with Leon shop, but instead lies to Raul about being a security guard. Due to the fact that she always scored top marks in her examinations, Raul usually addresses her as "All A". She likes Raul, but she's tsundere so she denies it when pointed out.
- Seara August (セアラ・オーガスト Seara Ōgasuto?)
- Voiced by: Maina Shimagata
- The manager of the magic shop, who is always smiling. She has a very soft angelic voice, and is very nice to her workers and appears as if she sometimes tries to involve Raul and Fino in situations that would make them attracted to each other.
- Visor Crossroad (バイザー・クロスロード Baizā Kurosurōdo?)
- Voiced by: Yoshihisa Kawahara
- The assistant manager of the magic shop who was once a magic engineer. He sometimes mocks Raul to not do anything stupid with his employees. He cares a lot about the shop.
- Nova Luminous (ノヴァ・ルミナス Nova Ruminasu?)
- Voiced by: Madoka Sowa
- Part of the magic shop's staff, Nova is a cheerful but really clumsy girl. Although sometimes an old man who "shops" at Leon tends to stroke her buttocks whenever in the premises, she actually doesn't mind getting touched in the buttocks
- Lore Beriferal (ロア・ベリフェラル Roa Beriferaru?)
- Voiced by: Kumi Takaragi
- Part of the magic shop's staff, she is Raul's upperclassman. She works mostly with the deliveries and doing mechanics such as fixing faults, so Lore isn't often seen in the shop. Very quiet, tomboyish, and reserved.
- Elsa Crucial (エルザ・クルーシアル Eruza Kurūshiaru?)
- Voiced by: Emi Nitta
- Elsa is the manager of Lawson Station, a convenience store next to the magic shop. She is fascinated by catalogs of magical items. She also likes Raul.
- Lamdimia de Accimemor (ラムディミア・ド・アクセィメモール Lamudimia do Akusimemōru?)
- Voiced by: Natsumi Yamada
- An employee at Lawson Station like Elsa, who's also from Demon World. Her name is well known in Demon World, so she mostly gets annoyed when people shorten her name (such as "Lam-chan"), so she often corrects them by stating her full name.
The light novels are written by Jun Sakyou, and illustrated by Masaki Inuzumi. It was published by Fujimi Shobo. Its original run began on January 20, 2012, and has 8 volumes as of November 20, 2013.
The anime series "I Couldn't Become a Hero, So I Reluctantly Decided to Get a Job" began airing on October 4, 2013. It was directed by Kinji Yoshimoto, written by Masashi Suzuki, music by Masaru Yokoyama, and produced by the studio Asread. There are a total of 12 episodes overall.
|No.||Title||Original air date|
|1||"I Couldn't Be a Hero, So I'm Working the Register"
"Yūsha ni nare nakatta ore wa reji o utte i masu." (勇者になれなかった俺はレジを打っています。)
|October 4, 2013|
|Raul Chaser, the main character is shown battling along side Airi "All A", the empire collapses and he is seen later working at a magic shop named "Leon shop". There's a sale on a CD that everyone goes crazy for, and the shop gets invaded with people wanting to buy it. He quite hates his job. Enters Fino, a rude at first Demon Lord's daughter, who stands there quietly but when asked what she wanted, she yells she wants to see the manager. Raul mistakes it as that she's going to give a complaint, and automatically doesn't start off well with her. He thinks she's a boy, because of the way she's dressed. The manager notices, and calls her in, and so Raul comes in the room to see she's been hired.|
|2||"The Demon Lord's Daughter Is Going to Learn How to Speak to Customers"
"Maō no musume san ga sekkyaku yōgo o oboeru yō desu." (魔王の娘さんが接客用語を覚えるようです。)
|October 11, 2013|
|Raul teaches Fino how to greet customers, only it's difficult when she keeps messing up, and scaring customers away. He gets annoyed and curses the day he was assigned to train her. At the end of the day though, she really tries her best, and shows Raul that she knows all the steps to greeting customers.|
|3||"We Should Be Careful When Handling Weird Products Sent to Us by Corporate"
"Honsha kara okurare te kuru ayashii shōhin ni ki o tsuke masho u." (本社から送られてくる怪しい商品に気をつけましょう。)
|October 18, 2013|
|The workers at Leon shop receive a weird product and all try to figure out how to work with it. When Fino tries to put her best out there in helping, her body releases too much magic, and the product goes out of control releasing Witch's Arm and capturing Airi, Fino and Nova. Raul is faced witha difficult dilemma can he fight after so long. Raul defeats the Witchs's Arm with Fino's help, but doing so impressed Fino where she finds out his skills and abilities are used to injure & slay demons where they can not heal and leaving Raul in a weakend state due to not using those abilities in so long.|
|4||"The Daughter of the Demon Lord Will Be Working at the Convenience Store"
"Maō no musume san ga konbini de hataraku yō desu." (魔王の娘さんがコンビニで働くようです。)
|October 25, 2013|
|The workers from the convenience store next to Leon shop need an extra worker for one day to help around, they ask someone at the Leon shop. Everyone refuses especially Fino as who claims to love the Leon shop, but the manager of Leon reminds everyone that they work for her; and Raul is scared that Fino might do something wrong or make something explode. Turns out, Fino loves to help and is working just fine, and Raul goes to "buy lunch" but it's only to see how Fino is doing.|
|5||"I Couldn't Be a Hero so I Snuck into a Rival Store with the Daughter of the Demon King"
"Yūsha ni nare nakatta ore to maō no musume san ga raibaru ten ni sennyū shi masu." (勇者になれなかった俺と魔王の娘さんがライバル店に潜入します。)
|November 1, 2013|
|Competition has arrived in town, and Leon Shop is against a big new magic shop that everyone is gossiping about. They're having a slow day at Leon, and wonder what the fuss is about, so Raul and Fino and other workers, get set off to disguise themselves as normal people to enter the new shop and get clues and information. When Raul mentions to Fino about her drawing attention to herself, Fino recalls that the manager of Leon told her when in doubt be Raul's girlfriend. During the Sphere performance at Amada Raul runs in to Airi "All A" but not in the manner he expected.|
|6||"She Couldn't Become a Hero, so She Reluctantly Decided to Get a Job, Too"
"Yūsha ni nare nakatta kanojo mo shibushibu shūshoku shi te i mashi ta." (勇者になれなかった彼女もしぶしぶ就職していました。)
|November 8, 2013|
|Airi "All A" was a straight A student, and Raul thought she'd be the one to become a hero but instead she lies to him that she has a high position while she is actually a bunny-girl at the new magic shop that is Leon's rival. Fino and Raul discover this when she bumps into him while assisting customers. Airi automatically is ashamed of this, and Raul is shocked to see that the straight A "hero" is not so much of a hero but only a part time job girl.|
|7||"The Demon Lord's Daughter Visits a House"
"Maō no musume san ga ippan katei ni o jama suru yō desu." (魔王の娘さんが一般家庭にお邪魔するようです。)
|November 15, 2013|
|Fino and Raul alongside with Lore-senpai (the girl who works with machines and such)all go to repair someones magic machine which is what households run on if you have no magic. The machine doesn't have energy due to a monster or magic sucker you could say, that eats up magic. They fix it, and on they move on. There's an old lady who bought an air conditioner at Leon shop because she didn't like the way they treated her at the new magic shop, but when Fino, Raul, and Lore-senpai arrive to the house to install the A/C, the new magic shop company is also there to install an A/C. A feud comes along about which company to choose who will install the machine or not, but as they will install it, there's something that's been eating all the magic in the house. Lore-senpai gets an idea on how to remove them all, and Fino helps. Because of their help, the owner of the house, son of the old lady, chooses Leon Shop to install instead of the new company.|
|8||"The Demon Lord's Daughter Is Tending to Customers in a Swimsuit"
"Maō no musume san ga mizugi de okyaku san o omukae suru yō desu." (魔王の娘さんが水着でお客さんをお迎えするようです。)
|November 22, 2013|
|It's a hot day, and Raul wakes up to find Fino in his bed naked. Panicked, Fino says she must have become impregnated due to stories her father told her about men and women sharing beds and hinted at what her father would do. Raul does his best to calm down Fino, where she claims she must have moved to his bed overnight because his room was cooler. They go on their way to the shop to enter and see Nova who has collapsed due to heat exhaustion. Ceara, the manager then gets an idea to sell items outside with bathing suits on, and they get many male customers to buy a lot of things and come to take photos of the girls in bathing suits only if they bought more items. It was win-win deal.|
|9||"How the Demon Lord's Daughter Spent Her First Paycheck"
"Maō no musume san ga moratta shonin kyū no yūkō katsuyō nitsuite." (魔王の娘さんが貰った初任給の有効活用について。)
|November 29, 2013|
|Fino is given her first pay check and she decides to ask Raul for help in spending it. She ends up spending it all on irrelevant things. On their way home, Fino is attacked by people who want her to be the next demon lord.|
|10||"I Wanted to Be a Hero, but She Didn't Want to Be the Demon Lord"
|December 6, 2013|
|Because of the attack in the last episode, Raul worries for Fino, but Fino has decided to work harder to be the boss of the store that she intends to be in the demon world. While Raul's friends who were once heros work with a demon called Raid and kidnapped Fino in other to make her the next demon lord.|
|11||"I Couldn't Become a Hero, but now I'm Going to Rescue the Demon Lord's Daughter"
|December 13, 2013|
|Raul Chaser finds out where Fino is taken and goes to rescue her at the old Heroes Academy. Once there he faces Blaze and defeats him using only a ruler. As he tries to rescue Fino, Airi interrupts and states that she will kill the Fino because demons killed her family. Raul and Airi duel it out ending in a tie when both are knocked out. Fino, feeling distraught starts crying and the royal bloodstone reacts with her. She flies off towards the demon world seemingly reborn as the new demon king.|
|12||"I Couldn't Become a Hero, so I Decided to Get a Job"
|December 20, 2013|
|Raul, Lami-san, Lore-Senpai, Airi and the old man that come in to buy light globes sets off after Fino. As they go towards the mountain they start getting separated. At the end Raul faces Fino in a battle. After some time trying to convince Fino she reverts back to her old self destroying the Bloodstone amulet. At the end of the episode The Leon Magic Shop gains an extra member, Airi, and Fino was told to show her the ropes.|
|13 (OVA)||"My sister came to the capital to see me, her brother who couldn't become a hero"
|March 9, 2014|
- "富士見書房 第23回 ファンタジア大賞" (in Japanese). Retrieved 2013-03-12.
- "Yūsha ni Narenakatta Ore wa Shibushibu Shūshoku o Ketsui Shimashita Novels Have Anime in the Works". Anime News Network. January 15, 2013. Retrieved January 16, 2013.
- "Yūsha ni Narenakatta Ore wa Shibushibu Shūshoku o Ketsui Shimashita Staff Listed". Anime News Network. May 10, 2013. Retrieved May 10, 2013.
- "勇者になれなかった俺はしぶしぶ就職を決意しました。" (in Japanese). Kadokawa Shoten. Retrieved March 11, 2014.
- "勇者になれなかった俺はしぶしぶ就職を決意しました。 8" (in Japanese). Kadokawa Shoten. Retrieved March 11, 2014.
- "syoboi tv schedule".
- Official light novel website (Japanese)
- Official anime website (Japanese)
- I Couldn’t Become a Hero, So I Reluctantly Decided to Get a Job. (anime) at Anime News Network's Encyclopedia