Yusuke Naora (直良 有祐 Naora Yūsuke) (born January 9, 1971) is a Japanese video game art director and character designer working for Square Enix (formerly Square). He served as the art director for several Final Fantasy and Compilation of Final Fantasy VII titles. He also served as the producer of the Code Age franchise.
Code Age Commanders
Naora worked on the game Code Age Commanders for three years, in cooperation with a group he assembled for this project called "War Head". The game was conceived to be a new game, unlike Final Fantasy, and could be made into a game for the PlayStation 2, a manga, and a cell phone game. Some of the drawing is done by Naora himself. In order to simulate the nature of two handed combat, multiple buttons are utilized in combat. The game was designed to appeal to the western desire for game customization.
The Last Remnant
Naora took note of the popularity of Fallout 3, and the growing differences between Japanese and Western RPG's. He then undertook to compare the two styles to appeal to both audiences. Naora developed the game "from the ground up" to appeal to both Japanese and Western audiences, and undertook extensive customer research into American gaming desires and tastes.
Final Fantasy Type-0
Naora was on a staff of three for Type-0 in 2006, but development began in 2008 due to ongoing work on Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII, and even then not fully until 2009 due to The 3rd Birthday. Naora developed the country designs and the main game visuals. It was the longest he had ever worked on a single game.
"Crystal Conquest" TBA
Naora is the art director for an upcoming video game whose trailer was released in March 2012.
- V-V (1993) - Art director
- Final Fantasy VI (1994) - Field graphic designer
- Chrono Trigger (1995) - Field graphic designer
- Treasure Conflix (1996) - Visual designer
- Final Fantasy VII (1997) - Art director
- Final Fantasy VIII (1999) - Art director
- Vagrant Story (2000) - Accessories designer (CGI intro movie)
- The Bouncer (2000) - Art supervisor
- Final Fantasy X (2001) - Art director
- Unlimited Saga (2002) - Art director
- Front Mission 4 (2003) - Character designer
- Before Crisis: Final Fantasy VII (2004) - Art director
- Romancing SaGa: Minstrel Song (2005) - Art director
- Final Fantasy VII Advent Children (2005) - Art director
- Code Age Commanders (2005) - Producer, Art director, Story
- Code Age Brawls (2005) - Producer, Art director, Story
- Front Mission 5: Scars of the War (2005) - Character designer
- Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII (2006) - Art supervisor
- Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII (2007) - Art supervisor
- Song Summoner: The Unsung Heroes (2008) - Character designer
- The Last Remnant (2008) - Art producer, Character designer
- Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals (2010) - Character designer
- Chaos Rings (2010) - Character designer
- Chaos Rings Omega (2011) - Character designer
- Chaos Rings II (2011) - Character designer
- Final Fantasy Type-0 (2011) - Art director
- IGN Staff (2005-07-31). "Square Enix 2005: Yusuke Naora Interview". IGN. Retrieved 2013-02-26.
- Jeremy Parish (2008-11-17). "The Last Remnant New Impressions". 1UP.com. Retrieved 2013-02-26.
- Anoop Gantayat (2011-07-26). "Hajime Tabata and Yusuke Naora Discuss Final Fantasy Type-0". andraisang.com. Retrieved 2013-02-26.
- Spencer (2011-07-26). "Square Enix "Secret Title" Has Illustrations From Final Fantasy Type-0 Art Director". Siliconera. Retrieved 2013-02-26.
- Yusuke Naora at the Internet Movie Database
- Yusuke Naora profile, interviews, and photo gallery at the Square Haven People Database