|Born||12 October 1961
|Notable awards||CNRS Silver medal|
Yves Bréchet graduated from École Polytechnique (1981), École des hautes études en sciences sociales (1992) and obtained his doctoral degree and habilitation from Joseph Fourier University in 1987 and 1992, respectively.
He is currently a full professor at Grenoble INP/Phelma, an adjunct professor of materials science and engineering at McMaster University (Canada), a senior Research Professor at the Institut Universitaire de France, and a member of the SIMaP (Materials and Processes Science and Engineering) Laboratory with the University of Grenoble.
On November 30, 2010, he was elected to the French Academy of Sciences.
On September 19, 2012, he is named to the position of High Commissioner for Atomic Energy and Alternative Energies by the Council of Ministers of the French Republic, succeeding Catherine Cesarsky.
His activities span the fields of physical metallurgy, thermodynamics, microstructures, phase transformations, plasticity, fracture micromechanics, material selection, structural materials design, biointerfaces, structural biomimetics.
He is as member of the editorial board of J.Comp.Sim.Mat.Sc.Eng, Materials Science Engineering and Acta Materialia.
Honors and awards
- Pechiney Prize of the French Academy of Sciences (1990)
- Gledden Fellowship, University of Western Australia (1993)
- Materials Science and Technology Prize of FEMS (1995)
- Körber European Science Award (1996), (together with M. Ashby and M. Rappaz)
- Junior Fellow of the Institut Universitaire de France (1992–97)
- Weinberg Lecture, University of British Columbia, Canada (2003)
- Sawamura and Guimaraes awards from ISIJ, Japan (2006)
- Cohen Lectures, Northwestern University (2006)
- D.K.McDonald Lecture, Canada (2007)
- CNRS Silver Medal (2009)
- Max Planck Lecture, Max Planck Institute for Metals Research, Stuttgart (2009)
- Thermec Distinguished award (2009)
- Fellow of the European Academy of Sciences (2009)
- Senior Fellow of the Institut Universitaire de France
- Chevalier de la Légion d'Honneur (2010)
- Lee Hsun Research Award, China (2010)
- Henry Marion Howe Medal (2010)
- Prix Gay-Lussac-Humboldt (2010)
- Member of the French Academy of Sciences(2010)
- Y. Bréchet, Microstructures, Mechanical Properties and Processes, EUROMAT 99. Volume 3 (2000)
- J. Agren, Y. Bréchet, C. Hutchinson, J. Philibert, G. Purdy, Thermodynamics and Phase Transformations, EDP Sciences, 2006
- Y. Bréchet, D. Embury, P. Onck, Architectured Multifunctional Materials, MRS Symposium Proceedings (2009)
Notes and references
- Press Release (in French) from the French Academy of Sciences (November 30, 2010)