Yves Fortier (lawyer)
|L. Yves Fortier|
September 11, 1935 |
Quebec City, Quebec
|Occupation||Lawyer and diplomat|
|This section requires expansion. (March 2012)|
Fortier was born in Quebec City. He received his Bachelor of Arts degree from the Université de Montréal in 1955 and his Bachelor of Civil Law degree from McGill University in 1958. As a Rhodes Scholar, he received his Bachelor of Letters degree from the University of Oxford.[note 1] In 1961, he was called to the Quebec bar.
From 1984 to 1989, he was a member of the Permanent Court of Arbitration (PCA), also known as the Hague Tribunal. From 1988 to 1992, he was Canada's Ambassador and Permanent Representative to the United Nations. From 1989 until 1990, he was also Canada's representative to the UN Security Council and in October 1989 was the President of the Security Council. From 1998 to 2001, he served as President of the London Court of International Arbitration.
Until the hostile takeover of the Hudson's Bay Company (HBC) by Jerry Zucker in February 2006, Fortier held the traditional title of HBC's Governor (that is, Chairman). Fortier subsequently became Chairman of the Board of Directors of Alcan Inc. and the Chairman and Senior Partner of the Ogilvy Renault law firm. Fortier served as Chairman of Ogilvy Renault from 1992 to 2009. On November 15, 2010, Ogilvy Renault LLP joined with London-based law firm Norton Rose. In 2011, citing potential conflicts of interest posed by the expansion of the firm's clientele, Fortier left Norton Rose in order to continue his career as an international arbitrator independently. In 2012, Fortier joined Arbitration Place in Toronto as a Resident Arbitrator. In June 2012, Fortier was appointed chair of the World Bank Group’s Sanctions Board in order to help combat corruption and fraud in projects financed by the World Bank.
In 1984, Yves Fortier was made an Officer of the Order of Canada and was promoted to Companion in 1991. In 2006, he was made an Officer of the National Order of Quebec. He is the recipient of six honorary degrees from major universities in Canada.[which?]
- Oxford University no longer awards this degree.
- "Shareholders Blast Nortel - Telecom News Analysis". Light Reading. Retrieved 2012-03-04.
- Hasselback, Drew. "Ogilvy Renault to join with Norton Rose." Financial Post, November 15, 2010.  Last accessed May 1, 2012.
- Gray, Jeff. "Norton Rose loses 'great leader' over merger." Globe and Mail Blog, Friday, October 21, 2011.  Last accessed May 1, 2012.
- Perry, Sebastian. "Fortier goes it alone." Global Arbitration Review, 24 October 2011.  Last accessed May 1, 2012.
- Karadelis, Kyriaki. "This must be the Place." Global Arbitration Review, 19 April 2012. Last accessed May 1, 2012.
- Ross, Alison. "Fortier takes on role combating corruption." Global Arbitration Review, 11 June 2012.  Last accessed June 22, 2012.
- [dead link]
- Judge L. Yves Fortier CC QCGoes It Alone of 24 October 2011
- Canada Foreign Ministry Biography of L. Yves Fortier CC QC and His Skelton Memorial Lecture on Canada and the United Nations: A Half Century Partnership and O.D. Skelton Memorial Lecturer Biographies
- Forbes Profile of L. Yves Fortier CC QC
- Ogilvy Renault Biography of L. Yves Fortier CC QC
- The Three Faces of L. Yves Fortier of August 9, 2007 reprinted from American Lawyer
- Recent Articles of L. Yves Fortier CC QC
- L. Yves Fortier Receives Walter S. Tarnopolsky Award on July 3, 2008
- L. Yves Fortier Receives Honoris Causa from Laval University, Canada on June 14, 2008
- L. Yves Fortier Chair in International Arbitration and International Commercial Law and that Chair's Holder at McGill University and Rio Tinto Alcan's Investment of 11 November 2008 and $ 1 Million Donations of 29 May 2009 from Ogilvy Renault to McGill University
- Kardassopoulos v. Georgia Award and Energy Charter Treaty (ECT) Arbitrations
- 3 UNCITRAL Yukos (Jurisdiction) Awards of 30 November 2009 as Published on 1 February 2010, President L.Yves Fortier and Arbitrators Charles Poncet and Stephen M. Schwebel and Yukos Awards Positive for Energy Investors of 1 December 2009 and New York Times and Guardian and EurActiv and 2 December 2009 and 4 December 2009 and The Yukos Arbitration So Far of 16 February 2010 and Interview with President L. Yves Fortier of 16 February 2010 and All About Yves and ASIL Insight on Yukos v. Russia Awards of 3 August 2010 and PCA-UNCITRAL and Arbitration Data Base
- ICSID Zimbabwe Case, President L. Yves Fortier CC QC and 26 January 2011 and Procedural Details
- Canadian Khan Resources v. Mongolia, President L. Yves Fortier of 12 January 2011
- Jordan Denial of Justice Claim - President L. Yves Fortier and ICSID
- ConocoPhillips v. Venezuela of 28 July 2008 and ICSID
- ICSID Duke Energy v. Peru - President L. Yves Fortier and GAR of 19 March 2009 and Arbitration Database
- UK/France Eurotunnel and Arbitration Data Base
- Speech of L. Yves Fortier CC QC of 17 December 2008 in Washington, D.C.
- 2009 L. Yves Fortier Entrance Scholarship and Brierley Memorial Lecture Fund
- Chambers and Partners Profile
- Top 50 Treaty Disputes 2007 and Top 50 Treaty Disputes 2009
|Canadian Ambassador to the United Nations
August 1988–December 1991