Yvonne Prettner Solon
|Yvonne Prettner Solon|
|47th Lieutenant Governor of Minnesota|
January 3, 2011
|Preceded by||Carol Molnau|
|Member of the Minnesota Senate
from the 7th district
February 4, 2002 – January 3, 2011
|Preceded by||Sam Solon|
|Succeeded by||Roger Reinert|
February 3, 1946 |
|Spouse(s)||Sam Solon (deceased)|
|Alma mater||University of Minnesota Duluth|
Yvonne Prettner Solon (born February 3, 1946 in Minneapolis) is the 47th and current Lieutenant Governor of Minnesota. She is the sixth consecutive woman to serve in that capacity and is a member of the Democratic-Farmer-Labor Party. She is serving with Governor Mark Dayton, who is running for re-election, but she plans to retire at the end of her current term.
Prettner Solon completed her secondary education at Stanbrook Hall Preparatory School, a Roman Catholic school for girls in Duluth, Minnesota. She received a B.S.D. and a M.A. from the University of Minnesota Duluth.
Prettner Solon was a member of the Minnesota Senate representing District 7, which includes portions of St. Louis County in the northeastern part of the state. She was first elected in a January 2002 special election held after the death of her husband, Senator Sam Solon, on December 28, 2001. She was re-elected in the 2002 and 2006 general elections. Her special legislative concerns included economic development, education, health care, the environment, transportation, and jobs.
Solon was a member of the Senate's Capital Investment Committee, the Commerce and Consumer Protection Committee, the Energy, Utilities, Technology and Communications Committee (which she chairs), and the Health, Housing and Family Security Committee. She also served on the Finance Subcommittee for the Health and Human Services Budget Division.
On May 24, 2010, gubernatorial candidate and former U.S. Senator Mark Dayton announced that Prettner Solon would be his lieutenant governor running mate in the 2010 election. In choosing her, Dayton said that "her thoughtful, sensitive and visionary leadership and public service are further informed by her life experiences, which have forged a woman I deeply respect and admire." The selection of Prettner Solon was seen as bringing balance to the Dayton Campaign.
On August 10, 2010, the Dayton-Prettner Solon ticket narrowly defeated Margaret Anderson Kelliher to earn the DFL nomination and a spot in the November general election. After a close election that included a recount, Dayton and Prettner Solon defeated the ticket of Tom Emmer and Annette Meeks in the November general election.
|Minnesota Senate Election District 7, 2002|
|Democratic||Yvonne Prettner Solon (incumbent)||19,314||73%|
|Minnesota Senate Election District 7, 2006|
|Democratic||Yvonne Prettner Solon (incumbent)||21,861||74.9%|
- "Democrat Dayton wins Minnesota Gov. recount". CNN. 2010-12-04. Retrieved 2010-12-04.
- Brian Bakst (January 14, 2014). "Minn. Lt. Gov. Prettner Solon says no to 2nd term". San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved January 14, 2014.
- Briana Bierschbach (January 14, 2014). "Lt. Gov. Prettner Solon, announcing she won’t run again, reflects on highlights, limited role". MinnPost. Retrieved January 15, 2014.
- Tim Pugmire (January 14, 2014). "Lt. Gov. Prettner Solon not running for re-election". Minnesota Public Radio. Retrieved January 14, 2014.
- "Minnesota Legislators Past & Present - Legislator Record - Prettner Solon, Yvonne". Minnesota Legislative Reference Library. Retrieved 2010-07-20.
- "Senator Yvonne Prettner Solon DFL District 07". Minnesota Senate. Retrieved 2010-07-20.
- "Dayton picks Prettner Solon for LG running mate". Politics in Minnesota. 2010-05-24. Retrieved 2010-07-20.
- "Dayton's choice of Solon gives ticket regional and gender balance". Minn Post. 2010-05-24. Retrieved 2010-11-04.
- "Campaign 2002 Minnesota - Legislature Districts 1-15". Minnesota Public Radio. Retrieved 2010-11-04.
- "Campaign 2006 - Election results: Minnesota Senate District 7". Minnesota Public Radio. 2009-07-01. Retrieved 2010-11-04.
- Yvonne Prettner Solon at Minnesota Legislators Past & Present
- Senator Prettner Solon Web Page
- Minnesota Public Radio Votetracker: Senator Prettner Solon
- Iron Range Resources Board Profile: Yvonne Prettner Solon - Fall 2008 p.7
|Lieutenant Governor of Minnesota
January 3, 2011–present
|Member of the Minnesota Senate from the 7th District
2002 – 2011