ZNC 0.070 Start-up Screen
|Developer(s)||prozac (SHiZNO), imaginos, psychon, crox, and others|
|Stable release||1.4 (May 8, 2014 ) [±]|
|Preview release||1.6.0-beta1 (January 24, 2015 ) [±]|
|Operating system||Unix-like, Microsoft Windows|
ZNC is an IRC network bouncer or BNC. It can detach the client from the actual IRC server, and also from selected channels. Multiple clients from different locations can connect to a single ZNC account simultaneously and therefore appear under the same nickname on IRC. It supports SSL secured connections and IPv6.
The main program, which already features multiple users, per channel playback buffers and transparent DCC bouncing, can be extended using modules. Modules can be written in Python, Perl, Tcl, or C++. Available modules comprise logging functionality, Blowfish encryption, user and channel management, away functionality, a partyline and more. A very popular module is webadmin: it provides a way to manage users and channels conveniently using only a web browser. ZNC also supports ident spoofing via oidentd.
ZNC has been in development since July 2004, as an alternative to psyBNC which kept crashing for the author, and new releases are made regularly. It has received favorable reviews, especially in comparison to psyBNC, and has an active community on IRC.
Since 2012, IRC clients started to integrate with ZNC: while sending channel buffers to client, ZNC gives client the timestamps when every message was received, using a protocol extension, and client shows it instead of time when client connected to ZNC.
- ZNC download page; retrieved May 9, 2014.
- "ZNC (an advanced IRC bouncer), now available for Microsoft Windows!". code.google.com. Retrieved 2015-01-28.
- "Official ZNC site". znc.in. 2012-04-11. Retrieved 2012-04-16.
- "Modules list on ZNC site". znc.in. 2012-01-29. Retrieved 2012-04-16.
- "Using ident spoofs". znc.in. 2012-03-25. Retrieved 2012-04-16.
- "ZNC History". znc.in. 2010-06-01. Retrieved 2015-01-28.
<SHiZNO> psychon: znc's first commit was 2004-07-20 17:39:19
- "SourceForge revision history". sourceforge.net. Retrieved 2015-01-27.
- "ZNC on Open Hub". Black Duck Open Hub. Retrieved 2015-01-27.
- Lederer, Christian “phrozen77″ (2009-12-22). "IRC bouncer comparison". IRC-Junkie.org. Retrieved 2015-01-27.
Summing it up, ZNC is the winner because it is the most feature-complete and…
- "Push Notifications". colloquy.info. Retrieved 2012-04-16.
- "Prowl". znc.in. 2011-12-17. Retrieved 2012-04-16.
- "Tags in IRC messages". WeeChat dev news. 2012-11-27. Retrieved 2015-01-27.
- "HexChat 2.9.6 released". 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2015-01-28.
Added server-time support so bouncers like ZNC can print their playback and show native timestamps.
- "mIRC list of changes" (TXT). mirc.com. 2014-05-27. Retrieved 2015-01-28.
Added CAP server-time and znc.in/server-time[-iso] support.
- Skunnyk (2013-09-03). "Use Irc Server-Time capabilities with znc and hexchat/weechat". blog.alteroot.org. Retrieved 2015-01-27.