Say it all
|Dr. Fan Yun Jun (CEO)|
China Mobile Pakistan or Zong (Urdu: زونگ) is a pan Pakistani mobile network operator headquartered in Islamabad, which offers voice and data services ranging from postpaid and prepaid plans, 2G, 3G and 4G services, mobile banking to fixed telephony. It is the first oversea setup of China Mobile through acquisition of a license from Millicom to operate a GSM network in Pakistan in 2008. Zong is a 100% subsidiary of China Mobile.
In addition to providing internet access solutions to facilitate data intensive live streaming applications, the company has also paved the way to be amongst the first to offer 3G and 4G LTE services to customers. It is Pakistan’s second largest GSM mobile service provider and third largest mobile service in terms of subscriber base of over 25.6 million. It has a market share of 19% among cellular operators in the country.
- 1 History
- 2 Network
- 3 Marketing
- 4 Partnership with Manchester United F.C.
- 5 Corporate social responsibility
- 6 Awards
- 7 Mobile banking
- 8 See also
- 9 References
- 10 External links
Zong commenced operations as Paktel by Cable & Wireless in 1991. It was the first company granted a free license to carry out cellular phone services in Pakistan. It carried out AMPS services until 2004, when the company launched GSM services.
In 2003, Millicom Corporation, who at that time were majority owners of Instaphone, bought Paktel from Cable & Wireless. Millicom installed a new management team headed by John Tumelty, former CEO of Instaphone, and Chief Financial Officer David Ordman.
On January 22, 2007, Millicom International Cellular S.A. stated that it would sell its 88.86 percent stake in Paktel Limited to China Mobile for $284 million, which includes the repayment of intercompany debt. The sale implies an enterprise value for Paktel of $460 million, Millicom said in its press release. Merrill Lynch advised China Mobile on the transaction.
On April 1, 2008 Paktel was rebranded to Zong.
China Mobile Pakistan has invested more than US $2 billion so far to build up network infrastructure in Pakistan since 2008. It will invest US $1 billion in next two to three year for next generation service roll-out.
Zong has built the third largest cellular network in the country with over 6000 base stations. To go green, Zong has installed solar powered cell sites in various locations. It has country's largest solar power telecommunication network.
Alcatel-Lucent under the terms of a distribution agreement with RIM leverages its global integration services and local presence in the region to provide Zong with end-to-end implementation, launch, delivery and support services for the BlackBerry solution in the Pakistani market.
Next generation mobile services
On April 23, 2014 Pakistan concluded next generation mobile spectrum auction. Zong paid $516 million for 10 MHz spectrum in 2.1 GHz frequency for 3G and 10 MHz spectrum in 1.8 GHz frequency for 4G making it Pakistan's first 3G and 4G operator.
Zong uses the following numbering scheme:
+92 3 1 N1N2N3N4N5N6N7N8
Where, 92 is the ISD code for Pakistan and is required when dialling outside the country, 3 is the mobile access code, and 1 is the prefix for Zong allocated by Pakistan Telecommunication Authority. Omitting +92 would require 0 instead to represent local call, hence 031 is the general prefix and N1N2N3N4N5N6N7N8 is the subscriber number.
Zong offers prepaid, postpaid, ladies, and youth plans. The postpaid, ladies, and youth plans are branded as bizXcess, Flutter, and Circle. Moreover, it also offers data plans and branch-less banking.
Partnership with Manchester United F.C.
In October 2011, ZONG signed a three-year partnership deal with the English football club Manchester United F.C. The deal allowed the club's Pakistani fans to see all the goals scored, exclusive interviews, news, and behind-the-scenes access. ZONG also made a television commercial featuring the Manchester United players Dimitar Berbatov, Rio Ferdinand, Darren Fletcher and Ashley Young playing street football with Pakistani children.
In 2012, Zong sent 32 boys for a one-week training camp to Manchester United Soccer School in Abu Dhabi. 120 teams with maximum 16 players each were identified and trials were conducted in Karachi, Lahore, Islamabad, Rawalpindi, Multan and Faisalabad by a team of professional coaches. A total of three teams were formed in Karachi, two in Lahore, one each in Islamabad-Rawalpindi, Multan and Faisalabad. The coaches then identified 32 boys to send to Abu Dhabi from these 8 teams.
Zong powers several projects related to social responsibility. These include
- Scholarships to students at the University of Engineering and Technology.
- A campaign called “I am a Blood Donor” to create awareness about blood donation.
- Zong joins hands with UNICEF Pakistan to defeat polio.
- Zong runs Tabeer, a wagon service in collaboration with Al-Abrar associates in Islamabad and Rawalpindi for women.
- Buksh Foundation and Zong signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) to provide electricity to two Punjab villages.
- Zong sponsors the National Open Polo Championship for the Quaid-e-Azam Gold Cup.
Timepey is the mobile banking service offered by Zong in association with Askari Bank Limited. Timepey lets users pay utility bills, transfer money to specified recipients anywhere in the country, deposit and withdraw cash and carry out account transfers.
BoP branchless banking
- "About ZONG". Zong Homepage.
- "ZONG: CHINA MOBILE IN PAKISTAN". Retrieved 19 November 2014.
- "Zong Achieves 25 Million Customers". Retrieved 19 November 2014.
- "ZONG manages to boost its growth to 34.1% during 2012". Retrieved 19 November 2014.
- "Mobile Phone Users in Pakistan Reach 136.5 Million". Retrieved 19 November 2014.
- "Paktel renamed CMPak" (in Chinese). China Mobile Limited. Retrieved 2007-12-11.
- "May 2007 Archived Press Clippings : LTC International, Telecom Headlines and Industry News". LTC International Inc. Retrieved 2007-12-11.
- "China Mobile re-brands Paktel as Zong". Retrieved 19 November 2014.
- "Zong ready to invest $ 0.6 million for LDI operations - Telecom Recorder". Retrieved 19 November 2014.
- "Inflow: Zong to make licence payment in dollars". Retrieved 19 November 2014.
- "Cell locations rise in FY09-10". Retrieved 19 November 2014.
- "Zong Plans to Develop More Solar-Powered Cell Sites". Retrieved 19 November 2014.
- "China Mobile plans to develop solar-powered cell sites". The News International, Pakistan. 22 December 2010. Retrieved 19 November 2014.
- "Expansion Of Telecom Infrastructure In Pakistan: ZTE And CMPak In USD100 Million Base Station Deal.". Retrieved 19 November 2014.
- "ZONG, Alcatel-Lucent and RIM launch the BlackBerry solution in Pakistan". Retrieved 19 November 2014.
- "Zong prize for franchises". The Nation. Retrieved 19 November 2014.
- "Zong Introduces Flutter, Ultimate Mobile Package for Ladies". Retrieved 19 November 2014.
- "Zong Launches Postpaid Service BizXcess". Retrieved 19 November 2014.
- "Zong Launches Youth Specific Offering: Circle". Retrieved 19 November 2014.
- "Breaking: Zong, Askari Bank Step Into Branchless Banking". Retrieved 19 November 2014.
- "United welcome Zong". Manchester United. 25 October 2011.
- "Manchester United signs partnership deal with Zong". Express Tribune. 26 October 2011. Retrieved 30 October 2011.
- "United, Zong sign three-year accord". Daily Times. Retrieved 21 September 2013.
- "Zong's Manchester United Ad". YouTube. Retrieved 19 November 2014.
- "Soccer training: Zong to send Pakistan youngsters to Abu Dhabi". Daily Times. Retrieved 20 September 2013.
- "Zong Launched Scholarship Program for UET Students". Pro Pakistani: Pakistani Telecom & IT News.
- "ZONG collaborates with PRCS". The News International, Pakistan. 9 June 2013. Retrieved 19 November 2014.
- "UNICEF Pakistan - Media centre - ZonG and UNICEF join hands to defeat Polio in Pakistan". Retrieved 19 November 2014.
- "Wagon service launched exclusively for women". The News International, Pakistan. 18 February 2014. Retrieved 19 November 2014.
- "MoU to electrify villages signed". The News International, Pakistan. 9 March 2013. Retrieved 19 November 2014.
- "Zong wins award". The News International, Pakistan. 28 September 2013. Retrieved 19 November 2014.
- "Askari Bank, Zong launch technology-based branchless banking". The News International, Pakistan. 2 December 2012. Retrieved 19 November 2014.
- "Askari Bank, Zong offer branchless banking services". The News International, Pakistan. 25 May 2012. Retrieved 19 November 2014.