The GUI of ZSNES
|Original author(s)||zsKnight, _Demo_, pagefault, and Nach|
|Initial release||0.150 / 14 October 1997|
|Stable release||1.51 / 24 January 2007|
|Written in||x86 assembly, C, C++, PSR|
|Operating system||Linux, DOS, Windows, Mac OS X, FreeBSD, Xbox|
|Type||Video game console emulator|
|License||GNU General Public License Version 2|
Development of ZSNES began on 3 July 1997 and the first version was released on 14 October 1997, for DOS. Since then, official ports have been made for Windows and Linux. The emulator became free software under the GPL license on 2 April 2001. Despite an announcement by adventure_of_link stating that "ZSNES is NOT dead, it's still in development" made on the ZSNES board after the departure of its original developers zsKnight and _Demo_, development has slowed down dramatically since its last version (1.51 released on 24 January 2007). Much of the development efforts concentrated on increasing the emulator's portability, by rewriting assembly code in C and C++, including a new GUI using Qt.
Due to being written in low-level assembly language for x86 processors, it is not possible to port ZSNES to devices using RISC processors. Other than the first Xbox, Xbox One, and PlayStation 4, no mainstream gaming device has ever used an x86 processor.
ZSNES is arguably the most popular and highest rated SNES emulator available. It has been also reported as the best Super NES emulator available for Linux. British game magazine Retro Gamer called ZSNES "very impressive" and praised the "incredible toaster mode" in 2005. It also has a reputation of being one of the fastest SNES emulators available.
However, developers and advocates of competing emulators often criticize ZSNES for its relatively poor accuracy and being written in x86 assembly, meaning non-portability across processor architectures and high difficulty to develop and maintain.
- badinsults (9 October 2009). "ZSNES is not dead, it is still under active development". Retrieved 23 July 2010.
- grinvader. "Re: Current Status FAQ". ZSNES board. Retrieved 24 October 2011.
- "ZSNES GUI 3.0 the first screenshot". ZSNES board. Retrieved 24 October 2011.
- Deathlike2 (3 November 2007). "No Port requests". Retrieved 23 July 2010.
- "Super Nintendo Emulators – rating vote counts and results". The Emulator Zone. Retrieved 24 October 2011.
- "Playing Classic Console Games". Retro Gaming Hacks. O'Reilly Media. p. 184.
- "Retro Coverdisc". Retro Gamer (15): 108. 2005.
- "Fastest SNES Emulator". Emuforums.com. Retrieved 24 October 2011.
- byuu. "Why Accuracy Matters". byuu's homepage. Archived from the original on Jan 2, 2012. Retrieved 24 October 2011.
- byuu (4 April 2011). "Re: bZSNES v1.51 released!". byuu's message board. Retrieved 24 October 2011.