Windmill Het Pink
Location in North Holland
|Established||1 January 1974|
|• Body||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Geke Faber (PvdA)|
|• Total||83.24 km2 (32.14 sq mi)|
|• Land||73.88 km2 (28.53 sq mi)|
|• Water||9.36 km2 (3.61 sq mi)|
|Elevation ||1 m (3 ft)|
|Population (May 2014)|
|• Density||2,045/km2 (5,300/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|Postcode||Parts of 1500 range|
Zaanstad [ˈzaːn.stɑt] ( ) is a municipality in the Netherlands, in the province of North Holland, situated northwest of Amsterdam. Its main town is Zaandam. It is part of the conurbation and metropolitan area of Amsterdam. It had a population of 151,109 in 2014
The municipality of Zaanstad is also mainly a conurbation itself and consists of the following cities, towns, villages and/or districts: Assendelft, Koog aan de Zaan, Krommenie, Westzaan, Wormerveer, Zaandam, Zaandijk. However, being surrounded by countryside and due to its relatively protracted shape that follows the river Zaan, a rural atmosphere is always nearby.
Railway Stations in the Zaanstad Area
- Koog Bloemwijk railway station
- Koog-Zaandijk railway station
- Krommenie-Assendelft railway station
- Wormerveer railway station
- Zaandam railway station
- Zaandam Kogerveld railway station
The municipal council of Zaanstad consists of 39 seats, which are divided as follows:
Notable tourist attractions
Twin towns — sister cities
Zaanstad is twinned with:
- "Burgemeester mr. G.H. Faber (PvdA)" [Mayor G.H. Faber (PvdA)] (in Dutch). Gemeente Zaanstad. Retrieved 6 March 2014.
- "Kerncijfers wijken en buurten" [Key figures for neighbourhoods]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 2 July 2013. Retrieved 12 March 2014.
- "Postcodetool for 1506MZ". Actueel Hoogtebestand Nederland (in Dutch). Het Waterschapshuis. Retrieved 6 March 2014.
- "Bevolkingsontwikkeling; regio per maand" [Population growth; regions per month]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 26 June 2014. Retrieved 24 July 2014.
- "www.zaanstad.nl/bpo/raad/raadsleden/".[dead link]
|Velsen / North Sea Canal||North Sea Canal
Haarlemmerliede en Spaarnwoude
|North Sea Canal / Amsterdam|
|This North Holland location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|