|Stable release||2.2.5 / July 17, 2014|
|Preview release||2.3.3 / August 5, 2014|
|Written in||C (server, proxy, agent), PHP (frontend), Java (Java gateway)|
|Type||Network management system|
|License||GNU General Public License version 2|
Zabbix is an enterprise-class open source software for monitoring of networks and applications, created by Alexei Vladishev. It is designed to monitor and track the status of various network services, servers, and other network hardware.
- Simple checks can verify the availability and responsiveness of standard services such as SMTP or HTTP without installing any software on the monitored host.
- A Zabbix agent can also be installed on UNIX and Windows hosts to monitor statistics such as CPU load, network utilization, disk space, etc.
- As an alternative to installing an agent on hosts, Zabbix includes support for monitoring via SNMP, TCP and ICMP checks, as well as over IPMI, JMX, SSH, telnet and using custom parameters. Zabbix supports a variety of real-time notification mechanisms, including XMPP.
- 1 History
- 2 Features
- 3 Development
- 4 Community
- 5 See also
- 6 External links
- 7 References
Zabbix started as an internal software project in 1998. After 3 years, in 2001, it was released to the public under GPL. It took three more years until the first stable version, 1.0, was released in 2004.
|Timeline of releases|
|1998||Zabbix started as an internal project in a bank by Alexei Vladishev|
|7 April 2001||Zabbix 1.0alpha1 is released as GPL|
|23 March 2004||Zabbix 1.0 released|
|6 February 2006||Zabbix 1.1 released|
|29 May 2007||Zabbix 1.4 released|
|11 September 2008||Zabbix 1.6 released|
|7 December 2009||Zabbix 1.8 released|
|21 May 2012||Zabbix 2.0 released|
|12 Nov 2013||Zabbix 2.2 released|
- High performance, high capacity (able to monitor hundreds of thousands of devices)
- Auto-discovery of servers and network devices
- Low-level discovery
- Distributed monitoring with centralized web administration
- Support for both polling and trapping mechanisms
- Native high performance agents (client software for Linux, Solaris, HP-UX, AIX, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, OS X, Tru64/OSF1, Windows 2000, Windows Server 2003, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7)
- Agent-less monitoring
- JMX monitoring
- Web monitoring
- Secure user authentication
- Flexible user permissions
- Web-based interface
- SLA, and ITIL KPI metrics on reporting
- Flexible e-mail notification on predefined events
- High-level (business) view of monitored resources through user-defined visual console screens and dashboards
- Audit log
Today, Zabbix is primarily developed by a dedicated company, Zabbix SIA.
Zabbix consists of several separate modules:
- Java gateway
Java gateway, available since Zabbix 2.0, is written in Java.
Since the first stable version was released as 1.0, Zabbix versioning has only increased minor version numbers. Each minor release actually implements many new features, while change level releases mostly introduce bugfixes.
Zabbix version numbering scheme has changed. While the first two stable branches were 1.0 and 1.1, after 1.1 it was decided to use odd numbers for development versions and even numbers for stable versions. As a result, 1.3 followed 1.1 as a development release to be released as 1.4.
Note: this chart excludes release candidates in stable branches.
Zabbix Community has always been an essential component of the work that the Zabbix Team does in order to develop, improve and polish Zabbix monitoring solution. Within Zabbix community pages, like the Forum, Blog, and Wiki, one can find information about the newest Zabbix versions, solved issues, and other useful tips from Zabbix experts, developers, and more.
- Zabbix Home Page
- Zabbix Forum provides user support in English, Russian, Portuguese, Spanish, Italian and French.
- Zabbix Wiki has user-contributed content and community resources.
- Commercial Services, including support, custom development and deployment services are provided by Zabbix company.
- ZabbixZone, blog dedicated to Zabbix for advanced users
- Zabbix Online Demo with current dev version of Zabbix, use "Login as Guest" link
- (2010) Zabbix 1.8 Network Monitoring - Packt Publishing ISBN 978-1-84719-768-9
- (2013) Mastering Zabbix - Packt Publishing ISBN 978-1-78328-349-1
- (2010) Zabbix System Monitoring - Notification, Trend analysis, Visualization to reduce your management work - ISBN 978-4-7741-4213-5
Third-party libraries and tools
See the officially listed Zabbix 3rd Party Tools.
See the Zabbix community site for a list of libraries.
Data collection extensions
- Orabbix monitor Oracle with Zabbix.
- Postbix monitor PostgreSQL with Zabbix.
- MySQLBix monitor MySQL with Zabbix.
- MySQL-Performance-Monitor monitor MySQL with Zabbix.
- Zapcat is a Zabbix to JMX bridge for monitoring Java services.
- Zabbix MySQL Monitor all Zabbix MySQL Monitor all.
- MozBX is a browser-based mobile client.
- Mobbix is a Zabbix Android mobile client.
- Zabbix Triggers Widget is a Zabbix Android mobile client with Desktop-Widgets
- Zabbkit is a free Android Zabbix mobile client.
- Zabbkit is a free Zabbix Client for iPhone.
- Mozaby is a Zabbix client for iPhone.
- MobileOp is a Zabbix Client for iPhone.
- Zabbkit is a free Windows Phone Zabbix mobile client.
- Vidmar, Anže (March 12, 2007). ZABBIX: State-of-the-art network monitoring Linux.com
- Ramm, Mark (March 15, 2005). The Watcher Knows, Linux Magazine
- Schroder, Carla (May 24, 2005). Monitor Your Net with Free, High-Performance ZABBIX, Enterprise Networking Planet
- ZABBIX - monitoring your applications, network and servers debianhelp.co.uk (Installation Instructions for Debian or Ubuntu Machines)