The Zaca Fire was a wildfire which began burning northeast of Buellton, California, in Santa Barbara County, California. The fire started on July 4, 2007, and by August 31, it had burned over 240,207 acres (972.083 km2), making it California's second largest fire in recorded history after the Cedar Fire of 2003. The fire was 100% contained on September 2, 2007. It was declared controlled on October 29, 2007.
By August 12 "significant" progress was being made on the fire through the combined efforts of firefighters and aircraft. Firefighters were able to turn the direction of the fire away from the Paradise Road community.
As of September 2, the fire had cost $117 million to fight, and was 100% contained. The fire had primarily burnt away from populated areas in extremely steep and rugged areas of the Los Padres National Forest and the Santa Ynez River Recreation Area. It only destroyed one Forest Service outbuilding. Its impacts on the environment and area water resources are not yet fully known. Many trails and campgrounds in the Dick Smith Wilderness were destroyed; a number have been rebuilt.
-  Cal Fire update page
- Zaca Fire information on Yuba net
- "Zaca Wildland Fire". Retrieved 2007-09-03.
- "Zaca Fire Controlled But Not Out" InciWeb. Retrieved on November 6, 2007
- "Officials Find Cause of Zaca Fire", KEYT3 news, July 6, 2007
- Daniel, Stacy; Tina Leonard (August 12, 2007). "Critical turn in the Zaca Fire: DC-10 Airtanker flies over and Evacuation Order downgraded". KSBY-TV—San Luis Obispo, CA. MSNBC. Retrieved 2007-08-22.[dead link]
- "Zaca Fire Impacts Will Linger for Years" by Ray Ford, Santa Barbara Independent. Retrieved on November 6, 2007
- CDF—California Dept. Forestry: Maps of the Zaca Fire
- California Fire News: daily coverage of the "Zaca Fire" wildland fire including fire perimeter maps, photos - Over 100 pages labeled "Zaca Fire"
- Associated Press: "Giant fire in Los Padres forest to cross into Ventura County"
- Los Angeles Times - "Santa Barbara fire flares anew"
- Santa Maria Times - "Zaca Fire takes unexpected turn".