No. 44 New York Jets
|Date of birth:April 17, 1989|
|Place of birth: Santa Cruz, California|
|High school: Modesto (CA) Christian|
|Undrafted in 2013|
|Debuted in 2013 for the New England Patriots|
|Roster status: Active|
Career NFL statistics as of Week 17, 2013
Zachary Jonathan Sudfeld (born April 17, 1989) is an American football tight end for the New York Jets of the National Football League (NFL). He was signed by the New England Patriots as an undrafted free agent in 2013. He played college football at Nevada.
Sudfeld attended Modesto Christian High School in Modesto, California. Sudfeld was named to the first-team all-state as a tight end. He also earned the first-team all-district and all-league honors in high school. His younger brother, Nate, is a sophomore quarterback at Indiana University.
New England Patriots
On May 3, 2013, Sudfeld signed with the New England Patriots as an undrafted free agent. Among the Patriots' rookie UDFAs, he received the largest signing bonus, $12,000, plus $5,000 in guaranteed salary; his $17,000 in guaranteed money was second among those UDFAs (after wide receiver T. J. Moe's $30,000).
Sudfeld's size and catching ability led at least one Patriots reporter to call Sudfeld a "baby Gronk," referring to Sudfeld's teammate Rob Gronkowski (although Sudfeld is, in fact, a few weeks older than Gronkowski). During the Patriots' second preseason game, against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Sudfeld scored on a two-point conversion from Tom Brady and on a 22-yard touchdown from Ryan Mallett. Sudfeld was named as a potential fantasy football sleeper during the Patriots's 2013 training camp on ESPN's Fantasy Focus Podcast by fantasy analyst Matthew Berry and Jay Soderberg.
On October 3, 2013, Sudfeld was released from the Patriots, after lackluster performances, where Sudfeld made no receptions.
New York Jets
Sudfeld has a twin brother named Matt, who is director of strategic development of a humanitarian organization that was started by his grandparents.
- "Nevada Profile". nevadawolfpack.com.
- "The Patriots have officially signed 19 undrafted free agents". beforeitsnews.com. Retrieved May 3, 2013.
- Wesseling, Chris (October 3, 2013). "Zach Sudfeld waived by Patriots; Vince Wilfork to IR". National Football League. Retrieved October 3, 2013.
- McManus, Jane (4 October 2013). "Jets claim TE Zach Sudfeld". ESPN New York. Archived from the original on 5 October 2013. Retrieved 5 October 2013.
- "Persevering Sudfeld Proving To Be An Inspirational Character For The Jets". newyork.cbslocal.com. Retrieved December 15, 2013.