December 7, 1981 |
Providence, Rhode Island
|Occupation||TV and stage actor and opera singer|
|Years active||2007 - Present|
James was born in Providence, Rhode Island and grew up in Spring Hill, Florida. The son of a professional jazz guitarist, James played percussion and served as drum major in his high school marching band. Although his first goal was to become a band director, he had a longing for musical theater. James, inspired by actor Nathan Lane, majored in musical theatre at Ithaca College and later moved to New York City.
Zachary James created the role of Lurch in the Broadway musical production of The Addams Family. James appeared in the Original Broadway Cast of Coram Boy and also in the original cast of the Tony Award-winning Broadway revival of South Pacific. New York credits include the role of Oberon in the world premiere of Kristin Hevner's Il Sogno. As an operatic singer, he created the role of Abraham Lincoln in Philip Glass' opera The Perfect American at the Teatro Real in Madrid, and has also sung with Ash Lawn Opera (Madama Butterfly), Knoxville Opera (Little Women), Central City Opera, American Lyric Theater and English National Opera in London.
Regional theatre credits include the baritone soloist in Carmina Burana, Miles Gloriosus in A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum, Colline in La Bohème, Commendatore in Don Giovanni, and Sweeney Todd in Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street. James also appeared in his own one man opera, Imbecile d' Amour, that played in New York in 2008, in Chicago in late 2009, and again in New York in 2010 and 2011. He starred as Lurch in the Broadway musical The Addams Family. In 2008, James made a cameo appearance as the character "Carl" in the 30 Rock episode "Gavin Volure".
James currently resides in New York City with his pets Carl Magnus (cat) and Francisco (dog).
- "Zachary James". Who's Who, playbill.com, Retrieved 30 January 2011.
- "Zachary James · News". Zachjames.com. Retrieved 2010-06-18.
- Mellini, Michael. "The Addams Family's Zachary James on Serving Up Laughs as Lurch" broadway.com
- "Lurch Speaks... and sings!", moviedearest.com
- The Broadway League. "Zachary James | IBDB: The official source for Broadway Information". IBDB. Retrieved 2010-06-18.
- "'THE ADDAMS FAMILY's' Zachary James Shares His 'IMBECILE D'AMOUR' Oct. 25th 2009/10/18". Chicago.broadwayworld.com. Retrieved 2010-06-18.
- "Playbill's Who's Who Biographies"
- "James' 'IMBECILE D'AMOUR' a Beautifully Sung Showcase". BroadwayWorld.
- Blank, Matthew. "PHOTO EXCLUSIVE: A Two-Show Day With The Addams Family's Lurch, Zachary James" playbill.com, August 24, 2010.