May 9, 1989 |
|Bats: Left||Throws: Right|
Cox was born in Louisville, Kentucky. He attended Pleasure Ridge Park High School in the Pleasure Ridge Park neighborhood of Louisville, and played for the school's baseball team. Cox attended the University of Arkansas, where he played college baseball for the Arkansas Razorbacks baseball team. Cox was a 2010 All-American. He set Razorbacks records for hits (102) and batting average (.429).
St. Louis Cardinals
The St. Louis Cardinals selected Cox in the first round, with the 25th overall selection, of the 2010 Major League Baseball Draft. He signed a major league contract with the Cardinals, receiving a four year contract worth $3.2 million that included a $2 million signing bonus. Cox played only four games, receiving 17 plate appearances, for the Gulf Coast League's Cardinals that year. In 2011, Cox played for the Palm Beach Cardinals of the Class A-Advanced Florida State League and the Springfield Cardinals of the Class AA Texas League. Over the season, he had a .306 batting average, 13 home runs, and 68 runs batted in (RBIs).
On July 31, 2012, he was traded to the Miami Marlins for right handed pitcher Edward Mujica. The Marlins assigned him to the Jacksonville Suns of the Class AA Southern League. Limited by injuries, he batted .253 with Jacksonville, hitting only one home run.
The Marlins waived Cox at the end of spring training in 2013, removing him from their 40 man roster. Unclaimed by other MLB teams, Cox returned to Jacksonville, where he batted .264 and hit three home runs with 29 RBIs.
- Lawson, Zach. "Cox named Yahoo! Sports All-American". Retrieved June 26, 2010.
- "Bernie Pleskoff: Miami Marlins third-base prospect Zack Cox remains a mystery | marlins.com: News". Miami.marlins.mlb.com. Retrieved October 8, 2013.
- Leach, Matthew (August 16, 2010). "Cardinals come to terms with top two picks | MLB.com: News". MLB.com. Retrieved August 17, 2010.
- By R.B. Fallstrom, AP Sports Writer (August 17, 2010). "Cardinals sign first-round pick, 3B Zack Cox - USATODAY.com". Usatoday30.usatoday.com. Retrieved October 8, 2013.
- Mujica comes to Cards in deal with Marlins, MLB.com (July 31, 2012)
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)
- Cox player profile page at Scout.com