|This July 2009 needs additional citations for verification. (July 2009)|
|Born||May 5, 1983|
Cosmic Funk Express
Zack Kim Yong Woon (born May 5, 1983), or simply, Zack Kim is a Korean guitarist who has become known for his mastery of technique called “free hands”, which involves tapping the guitar strings with both the left and right hands simultaneously. Many guitarists apply free hands to one guitar, but Zack frequently performs on two; his left hand playing one guitar while his right hand plays the other, which is like playing the piano on the guitar but with added difficulty of fretting the correct notes. His arrangements include a range of styles, from classical to jazz, as well as quirky arrangements of tunes such as the theme song from the Super Mario Bros. video game.
Zack has finished the two-year military service (mandatory for all able Korean male) in the Korean Army at the end of 2009. While serving in the military, he was on a talent show in South Korea, Star King, with his free hands skill.
Free Hands guitar style
"Free Hands" is a unique way of playing guitar with both hands, invented by Emmett Chapman in 1969. Many people credit Stanley Jordan with popularizing the technique, which involves “tapping” the strings with both the left and right hands' fingers aligned with the frets. This method is different from tapping with the right hand parallel to the strings as done by Eddie Van Halen, for example. While many guitarists apply this technique to one guitar, Zack has developed a virtuosic way of playing two guitars. His left hand will play one guitar, while his right hand plays another.
Arrangements and compositions
- Canon in D by Johann Pachelbel
- "The Promise" by Michael Nyman
- "Für Elise" by Ludvig van Beethoven
- Piano Sonata in C Major, K. 545, 1st movement by W.A. Mozart
- "Prelude" in C Minor BWV 847 by J. S. Bach
- Goldberg Variations No. 1 BWV 988 by J. S. Bach
- "Autumn Leaves" by Kosma, Mercer, and Prévert
- "Fly Me to the Moon" by Bart Howard
- "Moon River" by Henry Mancini
- "Misty" by Erroll Garner
- "Take Five" by The Dave Brubeck Quartet
- "No Woman, No Cry" by Bob Marley & The Wailers
- "Super Mario Theme" by Koji Kondo
- "FFVII Chocobo Theme" by Nobuo Uematsu
- "Doraemon Theme" by Shunsuke Kikuchi
- "Better Off Alone" by Alice DeeJay
- "The Simpsons Theme" by Danny Elfman
- "Tetris Theme" (Korobeiniki) by N.A. Nekrasov
- "Zelda Theme" by Koji Kondo
- Original Compositions
- "Robot Dance"
- "Love is Easy"
- "Anthem to Nothingness"
- "Dear Tiesto"
- "Korean Boy"
- "See You Again"
- "Miss You"
- "I'll Be Waiting"
- "Summer Time in Kuala Lumpur"
- Nick Cracknell "Learn To Play Like Youtube Sensation Zack Kim!"Total guitar August 7, 2009
- Ahn, Hyo Eun "김일병-허예찬-기파랑, 2008 '스타킹' 왕중왕전 대상",Mydaily December 27, 2008
- Yun, Hyun Jin "국내 최초 네손 연주 탄성 “두 사람이 기타 한대로”(스타킹)",Newsen December 7, 2008
-  "Zack Kim & Kyung Chan who is 11 years old boy played one guitar at the same time."
- Digital News Dept. "양손기타리스트 김일병(zack kim), 환상적 실력으로 스타킹 2승!",IBTimes August 16, 2008
- Lee, Yin Keong "양손기타리스트’스타킹 김일병, MC몽 작곡가로 데뷔",일간스포츠 August 14, 2008
- The Graph "YouTube se inspira en Los Simpson",El Gráfico June 9, 2008
- Na, Yu Na "Double Guitar Performance",dcnews July 26, 2007
- Berry, Richard "Hendrix of Muzak", Herald Sun, July 13, 2007
- Bronson, Kevin "'Simpsons' theme, all tapped out",LA Times July 13, 2007
- Dickenson, J. Andrew: "Tapped Out", Urban Guitar, July 31, 2006
- Chew, Chris: "Almost Famous", Think Online, September 22, 2006
- LeOuf, Nikouf: "Zack Kim and the Cosmic Funk Express", Les Cakos du Web, May 8, 2006