Snyder at the Man of Steel premiere in Sydney in June 2013
|Born||Zachary Edward Snyder
March 1, 1966
Green Bay, Wisconsin, U.S.
|Occupation||Film director, film producer, screenwriter|
|Spouse(s)||Denise Snyder (divorced), Deborah Snyder (m. 2004)|
|Children||Six children (4 eldest from 1st marriage, 2 youngest from Kirsten Elin)|
Zachary Edward "Zack" Snyder (born March 1, 1966) is an American film director, film producer, and screenwriter, best known for action and science fiction films. Snyder made his feature film debut with the 2004 remake Dawn of the Dead and has gone on to be known for his comic book movies and superhero films, including 300 (2007), Watchmen (2009), Man of Steel (2013) and its upcoming sequel, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016). Snyder is the co-founder of Cruel and Unusual Films, a production company he established in 2004, alongside his wife Deborah Snyder and producing partner Wesley Coller.
Snyder was born in Green Bay, Wisconsin, and was raised in Riverside, Connecticut. His mother, Marsha (née Reeves), was a painter and a photography teacher at Daycroft School, which Snyder later attended. His father, Charles Edward "Ed" Snyder, worked as an executive recruiter. Snyder attended Camp Owatonna in Harrison, Maine during the summer months as a child. Snyder's mother inspired him to study paintings a year after high school at Heatherley School of Fine Art in England, although he had already begun filmmaking. Afterward, Snyder attended the Art Center College of Design in Pasadena, California (where he was classmates with Michael Bay).
Snyder lives in Pasadena with his second wife, producer Deborah Snyder. The couple first met in 1996, and married on September 25, 2004 at the St. Bartholomew's Episcopal Church in Manhattan, New York.
Snyder went on to shoot, as a director and as a cinematographer, television commercials for such clients as the automobile companies Audi, BMW, Subaru and Nissan, among others. Other commercial work has been for clients including Nike, Reebok, and Gatorade.
Snyder made his feature film debut with the remake Dawn of the Dead (2004), and scored a box office hit with 300 (2007), adapted from writer-artist Frank Miller's Dark Horse Comics miniseries of the same name. His Warner Bros. film Watchmen was released on March 6, 2009 and grossed $185 million worldwide. His follow-up project/animation debut titled Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole was released on September 24, 2010. Snyder produced, co-wrote, and directed Sucker Punch, which was released on March 25, 2011. The film, based on a script written by Snyder and Steve Shibuya, was about a young woman in a mental hospital who fantasizes of escape with her fellow inmates.
He directed 2013's Man of Steel for Warner Bros., a reboot of the Superman franchise. He will direct a yet-to-be-produced remake of the 1969 film The Illustrated Man, and produced the prequel/sequel to 300, 300: Rise of an Empire (2014). He also wants to direct a segment for an upcoming Heavy Metal 3, and plans to write and direct a sequel to Legend of the Guardians.
In October 2012, Warner Bros. announced a planned 2015 release for their Justice League film. It remains unknown at this point whether or not Henry Cavill is expected to reprise his role. During an interview with the New York Post in November 2012, director Zack Snyder stated, “I don’t know how ‘Justice League’ is going to be handled. Honestly, I don’t. But ‘The Man of Steel’ exists, and Superman is in it. I don’t know how you’d move forward without acknowledging that,” and claimed that Warner Bros. expects him to "keep them on course" as regards to a potential cinematic universe. It was rumored in early March 2013 that Snyder would direct the Justice League film and that Christopher Nolan would again be producing.
In November 2012, Snyder proclaimed that he would not be involved with the development of Star Wars Episode VII. Speculation swirled again in January 2013, when Vulture reported that he would be developing a Star Wars spin-off film inspired by Seven Samurai. However, this report was later denied as rumor by Snyder's representative. As of March 2013, it was rumored that Zack Snyder might be attached to the long in progress Justice League movie. As reported by Latino Review, Snyder might either step in as a producer or he might direct the project itself. These reports have not been confirmed yet. Snyder is set to direct a Man of Steel sequel. During Comic Con 2013, Snyder announced that Batman and Superman will share the screen in the Man of Steel sequel titled Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, coming in 2016. Cavill will reprise his role as Superman and announced in August 2013 that Ben Affleck would play Batman. In April 2014, Snyder was announced by Warner Bros. to direct the Justice League film after finishing Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.
Snyder often uses slow motion in and out of the fight scenes in his films, which Amy Nicholson of Boxoffice magazine remarked separates the director from other filmmakers who make multiple cuts and close-ups during a fight. A minute-long shot from 300 shows King Leonidas walking down as he slaughters his enemies, and the camera only dollys in and out to emphasize each kill and move, though he has proven capable of directing a fast-paced combat scene, as shown first in Watchmen, and later on in Man of Steel.
Snyder's body of work has earned him a number of awards, including two Clio Awards and a Gold Lion Award for his Jeep "Frisbee" commercial. He also won an award for his humorous commercial "General's Party".
- "Love Is a Crime" performed by Lizzy Borden (1990)
- "Tomorrow" performed by Morrissey (1992)
- "Black Gold" performed by Soul Asylum (1993)
- "World Class Fad" performed by Paul Westerberg (1993)
- "I Know" performed by Dionne Farris (1994)
- "Walk This World" performed by Heather Nova (1995)
- "Desolation Row" performed by My Chemical Romance (2009)
|2004||Dawn of the Dead||Yes||No||No||75%||58/100|
|2010||Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole||Yes||No||No||50%||53/100|
|2013||Man of Steel||Yes||No||No||56%||55/100|
|2014||300: Rise of an Empire||No||Yes||Yes||42%||48/100|
|2016||Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice||Yes||?||Yes||TBC||TBC|
|2017||Untitled Justice League film||Yes||?||?||TBC||TBC|
|Actors||Dawn of the Dead
|Legend of the Guardians:
The Owls of Ga'Hoole
|Man of Steel
- Snyder's wife Deborah Snyder, has produced all of his films dating back to 300 (executive producer on 300 and Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole).
- Larry Fong and William Hoy were Snyder's cinematographer and film editor, respectively, on the films 300, Watchmen and Sucker Punch.
- John "D.J." Desjardin was the visual effects supervisor on Watchmen, Sucker Punch and Man of Steel.
- "Fan makes a film". Berkshire Eagle, The. March 8, 2007.
- Louie, Elaine (October 3, 2004). "WEDDINGS/CELEBRATIONS: VOWS; Deborah Johnson and Zack Snyder - New York Times". The New York Times (The New York Times Company). Retrieved 25 July 2010.
- Frank Lovece (2009-02-19). "CGI: 'Watchmen'--Zack Snyder brings superhero saga to the finish line". Film Journal International. Retrieved 2009-02-19.
- "Zack Snyder: Watchmen". SuicideGirls.com. 5 March 2009. Retrieved March 5, 2009.
- Fleming, Mike (October 4, 2010). "SCOOP: Zack Snyder Directing 'Superman'". Deadline.com. Retrieved October 4, 2010.
- "Zack Snyder to direct a Star Wars movie". 3 News NZ. January 14, 2013.
- Hudson, Laura (January 14, 2013). "Zack Snyder Denies Report of New Star Wars Film Based on Seven Samurai". Wired News.
- Mayimbe, El. "EXCLUSIVE: The DCU Takeover & HUGE Developments on ‘Justice League’". Latino-Review.com. Retrieved 2013-06-18.
- By NIKKI FINKE, Editor in Chief. "‘Man Of Steel’ Sequel Underway With Zack Snyder And David S. Goyer". Deadline.com. Retrieved 2013-06-18.
- "Zack Snyder Will Direct Superman/Batman Movie Inspired by Frank Miller’s ‘The Dark Knight Returns’".
- "Warner Bros. Details Plans for 'Justice League' Movie (Exclusive)". Wall Street Journey. April 26, 2014. Retrieved 2014-04-27.
- "(Archived version) Back away from the zoom lens and AVID". February 26, 2009. Retrieved February 28, 2009.
- "Tomatometer Rating of ''Dawn of the Dead''". Rottentomatoes.com. Retrieved 2013-06-26.
- "Metascore of ''Dawn of the Dead''". Metacritic. Retrieved 2013-06-26.
- "Tomatometer Rating of ''300''". Rottentomatoes.com. Retrieved 2013-06-26.
- "Metascore of ''300''". Metacritic. Retrieved 2013-06-26.
- "Tomatometer Rating of ''Watchmen''". Rottentomatoes.com. Retrieved 2013-06-26.
- "Metascore of ''Watchmen''". Metacritic. Retrieved 2013-06-26.
- "Tomatometer Rating of ''Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole''". Rottentomatoes.com. Retrieved 2013-06-26.
- "Metascore of ''Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole''". Metacritic. Retrieved 2013-06-26.
- "Tomatometer Rating of ''Sucker Punch''". Rottentomatoes.com. Retrieved 2013-06-26.
- "Metascore of ''Sucker Punch''". Metacritic. Retrieved 2013-06-26.
- "Tomatometer Rating of ''Man of Steel''". Rottentomatoes.com. Retrieved 2013-06-26.
- "Metascore of ''Man of Steel''". Metacritic. Retrieved 2013-06-26.
- comingsoon.net (May 10, 2013). "300 Rise of an Empire". comingsoon.net. Retrieved May 10, 2013.
- "Tomatometer Rating of ''300: Rise of an Empire''". Rottentomatoes.com. Retrieved 2014-03-25.
- "Metascore of ''300: Rise of an Empire''". Metacritic. Retrieved 2014-03-25.
- indiewire.com (July 20, 2013). "Warner Bros. Will Follow Up 'Man of Steel' With A Superman & Batman Movie For 2015". Retrieved July 21, 2013.
- Sullivan, Kevin P. (June 14, 2013). "'Man Of Steel' Decoded: Your Guide To Krypton's Geekiest Lingo". mtv.com. Retrieved December 7, 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Zack Snyder.|
- Cruel and Unusual Films – Snyder's production company
- Snyder at MySpace
- Zack Snyder at the Internet Movie Database
- Zack Snyder at Believe Media
- Zack Snyder Biography at Tribute.ca
- Zack Snyder Directing 'Superman' at Deadline
- Zack Snyder directing Superman reboot at The Hollywood Reporter
- Zack Snyder on Twitter