|No. 21 – Michigan Wolverines|
|League||Big Ten Conference|
September 5, 1994 |
|Listed height||6 ft 6 in (1.98 m)|
|Listed weight||200 lb (91 kg)|
|High school||Hamilton Southeastern (Fishers, Indiana)|
|Career highlights and awards|
Zakarie Tyler "Zak" Irvin (born September 5, 1994) is an American college basketball player for Michigan where he has completed his freshman season for the 2013–14 team. He earned the 2013 Indiana Mr. Basketball and Indiana Boys Basketball Gatorade Player of the Year while playing for Hamilton Southeastern High School. At Michigan, he has twice been recognized as Big Ten Conference Freshman of the Week.
Irvin was born in Fishers, Indiana to Marcia and James Irvin on September 5, 1994. As a freshman at Hamilton Southeastern, Irvin played junior varsity basketball. By January 2011, he was being recruited by Illinois, Baylor, Ohio State, Indiana and Michigan State. June 13, 2011 was the first day that Michigan offered scholarships to the class of 2013. On July 31, 2011, Irvin announced his non-binding verbal commitment to Michigan. At the time, he was ranked 97th in the class of 2013 according to Rivals.com and 74th according to ESPN. Scout.com ranked him as the 22nd best shooting guard. By the time of his commitment, he had scholarship offers from Purdue, Indiana, Baylor, Miami, Xavier, and Butler. This commitment came one day before Derrick Walton joined Michigan's 2013 recruiting class. During the summer of 2012, Irvin jumped in the Rivals.com ranking from 68th to 31st in the national class of 2013. On November 16, 2012, Michigan men's basketball received a signed National Letter of Intent from the 6-foot-6-inch (1.98 m) Irvin. At Hamilton Southeastern High School, he earned 2013 Indiana Mr. Basketball and Parade All-American recognition. As Indiana Mr. Basketball, he succeeded former teammate, Gary Harris, and the duo became the state's first back-to-back winners from the same high school. He was also named 2013 Indiana Boys Basketball Gatorade Player of the Year. By the end of his high school career, he was ranked 24th by Rivals.
|Name||Hometown||High school / college||Height||Weight||Commit date|
|Fishers, IN||Hamilton Southeastern High School (IN)||6 ft 6.25 in (1.99 m)||185 lb (84 kg)||Jul 31, 2011|
|Scout: Rivals: 247Sports: N/A ESPN grade: 91|
|Overall recruiting rankings: Scout: 51, 12 (SF) Rivals: 24, 6 (SG) ESPN: 22, 6 (SF), 1 (IN)|
Prior to his freshman season, Sporting News named him the 2nd best Big Ten Conference newcomer. When 2013–14 Wolverine team leading scorer Stauskas sat out the November 29 game against Coppin State, Irvin posted 24 points on 9-for-13 field goal shooting, including 6-for-10 three point shooting as Michigan won in an 87–45 rout. He was recognized on December 2, with a Big Ten Conference Freshman of the Week honor. On December 21, he posted 12 points (on 4–8 three point shooting) and 6 rebounds against Stanford. On December 23, he earned co-Freshman of the Week honors with Noah Vonleh from the Big Ten Conference. The 2013–14 team advanced to the elite eight round of the 2014 NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Tournament before being eliminated by Kentucky.
- Neddenriep, Kyle (2013-04-03). "Mr. Basketball: Hamilton Southeastern's Zak Irvin has gone from the junior varsity to No. 1". Indy Star. Retrieved 2013-04-03.
- "Zak Irvin 21". MGoBlue.com. CBS Interactive. Retrieved 2013-09-29.
- Bohn, Rodger (2011-01-26). "Flyin’ To The Hoop: Top Underclassmen: SLAM takes a look at the top youngsters from Flyin’ To The Hoop.". SLAM Magazine. Retrieved 2013-09-29.
- "Michigan basketball team adds Zak Irvin to 2013 recruiting class". Ann Arbor News. 2011-07-31. Retrieved 2013-09-29.
- "Irvin Picks Michigan". Canes Times. Scout.com. 2011-07-31. Retrieved 2013-09-30.
- "Michigan basketball adds another top 100 recruit for 2013, point guard Derrick Walton". Ann Arbor News. 2011-08-01. Retrieved 2013-09-29.
- Burkhardt, Dylan (2012-08-28). "Irvin, Walton rise in post-summer Rivals ranking update". UMHoops.com. Retrieved 2012-11-27.
- "Michigan Inks Three Recruits to National Letters of Intent". MGoBlue.com. CBS Interactive. 2012-11-16. Retrieved 2012-11-26.
- McLaughlin, Brian (2013-05-18). "Meet PARADE's 2013 All-America Basketball Teams". Parade. Retrieved 2013-05-19.
- Snyder, Mark (2013-03-21). "Michigan Recruits Derrick Walton Jr., Zak Irvin Named Gatorade Players of the Year". USA Today. Retrieved 2013-09-25.
- "2013 Prospect Ranking: Rivals150 for the class of 2013". Rivals.com. 2013-04-15. Retrieved 2013-04-15.
- "McGary Selected to Sporting News' Preseason All-America Team". MGoBlue.com. CBS Interactive. 2013-09-06. Retrieved 2013-09-07.
- "Freshman Irvin scores 24, No. 22 Michigan rolls". ESPN. 2013-11-29. Retrieved 2013-11-29.
- "Irvin's 24 Points Lead Michigan to Victory Over Coppin State". MGoBlue.com. CBS Interactive. 2013-11-29. Retrieved 2013-11-29.
- "Illinois and Michigan Earn Weekly Men's Basketball Honors". BigTen.org. CBS Interactive. 2013-12-02. Retrieved 2013-12-02.
- "Stanford 65 (8-3, 3-1 away); Michigan 68 (7-4, 6-2 home)". ESPN. 2013-12-21. Retrieved 2013-12-24.
- "Michigan State, Indiana and Michigan Earn Weekly Men's Basketball Honors". BigTen.org. CBS Interactive. 2013-12-23. Retrieved 2013-12-24.
- "(8) Kentucky 75 (28-10, 12-6 SEC); (2) Michigan 72 (28-9, 15-3 Big Ten)". ESPN. 2014-03-30. Retrieved 2014-03-31.