|Zaluzianskya dentata, Illustration from Marloth|
Zaluzianskya is a genus of flowering plants now regarded as being a member of the Scrophulariaceae, the figwort family. The genus is endemic to Southern Africa and includes some described sixty species.
Zaluzianskya was named in honour of Adam Zaluziansky von Zaluzian, 1558–1613, a physician of Prague, author of Methodus Herbariae, 1592. Zaluziansky seems to have been a deservedly prominent botanist in his day, with some views on taxonomy quite advanced for his time.
Superficially the shape of the flowers is strikingly phlox-like, hence the designation 'Night Phlox', for their evening fragrance. The fragrance after dark suggests that in nature the species in question are pollinated by moths, whereas day-pollinated species often have little or no obvious scent. Research is in progress on the ecological and evolutionary relationships between some members of the genus and specialist long-tongued pollinators, particularly night flying hawk moths (Family Sphingidae) and flies in the families Nemestrinidae, Tabanidae, and Bombyliidae. Day-flying hawk moths, such as the genus Macroglossum (Hummingbird Hawk Moths) also seem to be significant pollinators of many species of Zaluzianskya.
- Species include
- Zaluzianskya affinis
- Zaluzianskya capensis
- Zaluzianskya divaricata (Spreading night phlox).
- Zaluzianskya ovata
- Zaluzianskya lychnidea (Windowphlox)
- Zaluzianskya microsiphon
- Zaluzianskya pulvinata
- Zaluzianskya rubrostellata Night Phlox
- Zaluzianskya villosa (Southern Lilac Drumsticks, Blue Drumsticks)
- Zaluzianskya spathacea
- Marloth, Rudolf. “The Flora of South Africa” 1932 Pub. Cape Town: Darter Bros. London: Wheldon & Wesley.
- Arnold T.H., de Wet B.C. (Eds), Plants of Southern Africa: Names & Distribution, MEMOIRS OF THE BOTANICAL SURVEY OF SOUTH AFRICA No. 62, Pub.National Botanical Institute, South Africa.1993 ISBN 1-874907-03-X
- CHITTENDEN, FRED J. Ed., Royal Horticultural Society Dictionary of Gardening, Oxford 1951
- Debus, Allen G., Man and nature in the Renaissance, Cambridge 1978 ISBN 0-521-29328-6
- Picker, M., Griffiths, C., Weaving, A. Field Guide to the Insects of South Africa, Struik 2003. www.struik.co.za
- Bruce Anderson, Steven D. Johnson, J. Kohn, The Geographical Mosaic Of Coevolution In A Plant–Pollinator Mutualism, Evolution, Jan 2008 : Vol. 62, Issue 1, pg(s) 220-225
- S. D. Johnson, . J. Edwards, . Carbutt and C. Potgieter. Specialization for hawkmoth and long-proboscid fly pollination in Zaluzianskya. Botanical Journal of the Linnean Society, Vol 138 pp 17–27 March 2002
- Blanket Wrap:Zaluzianskya rubrostellata
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Zaluzianskya.|
|Wikispecies has information related to: Zaluzianskya|