|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2014)|
Diamond in 2010
|Full name||Alexander Kevin Diamond|
|Date of birth||12 March 1985|
|Place of birth||Alexandria, Scotland, UK|
|Height||6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)|
|2014||→ Northampton Town (loan)||14||(1)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 15:57, 7 May 2014 (UTC).
† Appearances (Goals).
Alexander Kevin "Zander" Diamond (born 12 March 1985, Alexandria, Scotland) is a Scottish professional footballer who plays for Northampton Town as a centre-back. Diamond began his career with Scottish Premier League club Aberdeen, before moving to Oldham Athletic in 2011. On 20 February 2014, he joined Northampton Town on a 93-day emergency loan. He won twelve caps for Scotland under-21s.
Diamond graduated from the youth team in his first full season and made his League debut against Dundee United at Tannadice, coming on as a substitute at half time in 2003–04 season. He made his first start for the club in a Scottish League Cup match v Dumbarton on September 2004. Later in the same season, he scored his first senior goal for the club in a 3-1 win against Kilmarnock at Pittodrie. He won the "Young Player of the Month" award for February. In the 2005-06 season, Jimmy Calderwood was appointed Aberdeen manager. He quickly tied Diamond down on a long-term contract after his partnership with Aberdeen captain Russell Anderson helped the club narrowly miss out on European qualification.
However in season 2007-08, Aberdeen qualified for the UEFA cup group section after beating Dnipro on away goals. They were drawn in Group B against Panathanaikos, Lokomotiv Moscow, Atletico Madrid and FC Copenhagen. Diamond scored in the 1-1 draw against Lokomotiv Moscow, Branislav Ivanovic scoring the equaliser. After qualifying from the group, they faced Bayern Munich in the last 32, drawing 2-2 at Pittodrie in the first leg. They went out on aggregate 7-3 after a 5-1 defeat in the Allianz Arena.
On 13 July 2011, Diamond signed a one year contract with Oldham Athletic. His first goal for the club on 30 July 2011 came with a headed goal against Fleetwood Town in a pre–season friendly, which Oldham Athletic A.F.C. won, 1–0. He made his competitive club debut on the first day of the 2011–12 season, starting the Football League match against Sheffield United.
He made his debut against Sheffield United at Bramall Lane in the first round of the League Cup, which Burton won on penlties. Diamond scored his first goal for the club in a 6-2 home win against AFC Wimbledon. After finishing 4th, the highest in the clubs history in the Football League, they were beaten in the playoffs by eventual winners Bradford City. On 26 May, Burton called him back to play in their Play-Off Final game against Fleetwood. He started on the bench but came on as a sub.
On 7 May 2014, Diamond signed a three-year contract for the Cobblers after a successful loan spell with the club. The move became effective at the start of pre-season.
- "Professional retain list & free transfers 2012/13" (PDF). The Football League. 18 May 2013. p. 57. Retrieved 6 September 2013.
- Aberdeen Football Club website, afc.co.uk; accessed 14 August 2014.
- Zander Diamond career stats at Soccerbase
- Aberdeen 4-2 Celtic, BBC Sport, 18 January 2009.
- "Oldham sign up defender Zander Diamond from Aberdeen", 14 July 2011; accessed 14 August 2014.
- "Zander Diamond transferred from FC Aberdeen to Oldham Athletic on a free transfer", soccerfame.com; accessed 14 August 2014.
- "Oldham v Sheffield United". BBC Sport. 6 August 2011. Retrieved 6 August 2011.
- "Diamond celebration as Albion net Zander". Burton Mail. 5 June 2012. Retrieved 5 June 2012.
- "Zander Diamond Signs with Northampton". Northampton Town F.C. 21 February 2014.
- "Northampton Town Sign Zander Diamond". Northampton Town F.C. 7 May 2014. Retrieved 14 August 2014.